Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Is Cleveland a possible trade suitor?

Armchair GM'ing again... not always the greatest trade ideas, but ideas nonetheless.

With Bynum "indefinitely suspended" (I wonder what for.. why so mum about it?) and rumors he will be released before his contract is paid out, the Cav's will be in pretty serious need of a solid center to take his place. It would seem logical to them to chase for Asik before the deadline.

So... two ideas... one possible, one maybe far-fetched - depending on how badly they want the deal.

Scenario 1 : Asik (possibly Asik + Lin) for Kyrie Irving - Solid young PG, nothing but upside potential and his rookie contract should be up soon(?) Cleveland isn't left in the dark at PG since they still retain Waiters. Making this deal bolsters the PG situation and relies heavily that our current list of young PF's can produce with what's required of them. This one was honestly the 'not very likely' but stranger things have happened in the league.

Scenario 2 : Asik + Lin for Jarrett Jack + Tristan Thompson - This gives us a floor veteran at the PG to pair up with Harden, plus gives a decent rotation with Brooks. Tristan Thompson - young PF that can help stretch the floor. Not particularly fond of this idea just because we have seemingly a lot of potential 4's already.

So... either one of these feasible? Probable? Even likely?

Raising Jersey's first, trophies and banners next...

vCash
    my favorite (and by far the most likely) would be Asik for Varajao and Waiters
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyestx View Post
    So... two ideas... one possible, one maybe far-fetched - depending on how badly they want the deal.

Scenario 1 : Asik (possibly Asik + Lin) for Kyrie Irving - Solid young PG, nothing but upside potential and his rookie contract should be up soon(?) Cleveland isn't left in the dark at PG since they still retain Waiters. Making this deal bolsters the PG situation and relies heavily that our current list of young PF's can produce with what's required of them. This one was honestly the 'not very likely' but stranger things have happened in the league.
    Maybe far-fetched? Omer Asik for Kyrie Irving? "Possibly" including Lin? What world do you live in?

Scenario 2 : Asik + Lin for Jarrett Jack + Tristan Thompson - This gives us a floor veteran at the PG to pair up with Harden, plus gives a decent rotation with Brooks. Tristan Thompson - young PF that can help stretch the floor. Not particularly fond of this idea just because we have seemingly a lot of potential 4's already.

So... either one of these feasible? Probable? Even likely?
    That's a bad deal for us. We're sending the two best players. Jack is nice, he was awesome off the bench last year, not so much this year and he's 30 with a big contract paying him over 6 million for the next 5 seasons after this one. I much rather have Lin. And Thompson isn't better than Jones and he won't be playing C. Just a bad deal.

Why is everyone so fixed that PG is a problem? Isn't Lin, Beverley (who should be back in a month) and Brooks not enough? Lin is balling this year, Bev is a lockdown defender and Brooks proved he's still AB.
    Rockets | Texans | Astros

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    my favorite (and by far the most likely) would be Asik for Varajao and Waiters
    Yep, I would love Varejao, health is always a concern, but he would be perfect on this team. He can backup Howard and play next to him. And his contract will be up after next season. I think he would be worth the risk. Asking for Waiters too might be a little too much, but I'd also be interested in Zeller, Karasev or a pick coming our way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EDUTEXANS View Post
    Maybe far-fetched? Omer Asik for Kyrie Irving? "Possibly" including Lin? What world do you live in?
    Well... I *did* say it was far-fetched - but the way I look at it is, they're about to get killed constantly inside without Bynum picking up some of that workload, and they're going to have to consider what Kyrie's new contract is going to cost them. Will they show him the money? Will they consider letting him move onto a deeper-pocketed suitor since they have Waiters right there to fill in the role? Are they going to feel backed into a corner enough to even consider it?

I mean c'mon... how many people saw the Harden acquisition here? It wasn't like that was a telegraphed possibility either.

Raising Jersey's first, trophies and banners next...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyestx View Post
    Well... I *did* say it was far-fetched - but the way I look at it is, they're about to get killed constantly inside without Bynum picking up some of that workload, and they're going to have to consider what Kyrie's new contract is going to cost them. Will they show him the money? Will they consider letting him move onto a deeper-pocketed suitor since they have Waiters right there to fill in the role? Are they going to feel backed into a corner enough to even consider it?

I mean c'mon... how many people saw the Harden acquisition here? It wasn't like that was a telegraphed possibility either.
    No, you said "maybe" it was far-fetched. It's completely far-fetched.

First, Bynum has been awful this year. Varejao has been the best defender anyway.

Second, Irving still has one year left on his rookie contract after this season. He will be a RFA, so they can get something back even if he hits FA.

Third, Waiter won't fill Irving's role. He's nowhere near Irving's level, and he doesn't even play the same position.

Fourth, it's not even close to Harden's situation. Harden was a third option in OKC with two guys already making max money. Irving in their franchise player, the only guy worth more than half of a max deal.

He's averaging 22.5 points and 6 assits. For his career he's averaging 21 and 5.7 on 45% from the field and 38% from 3. And he's only 21 years old.

To even consider trading Asik for Irving, or even Asik + Lin is borderline insane.

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qg3zyjy

It works on here, so Chris Broussard will be tweeting it out as a source in the next 24 hours.

vCash
    I will take Kyrie Irving for Asik..... Maybe Dan Gilbert is so pissed Lebron left that he will never want a star player again

vCash
    Guys i think the Cavs only trying to move Bynum and Waiters. Others like Thompson, Varajao, and Jack can get dealt too but its only in a deal surrounding those two.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
    I will take Kyrie Irving for Asik..... Maybe Dan Gilbert is so pissed Lebron left that he will never want a star player again
    If he's that piss then he will never win again

vCash
    I wouldn't mind us bringing back KG if we did land DWill primarily to bring defensive intensity.

vCash

Then Morey will help him pick up that“ troublesome” star LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by c.c.:27695357
    Quote Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
    If he's that piss then he will never win again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tr3ymill3r View Post
    I wouldn't mind us bringing back KG if we did land DWill primarily to bring defensive intensity.
    I could be wrong but how would we get both KG and D-Will? I dont think we could match the salaries could we? Would love to get D-Will but Garnett Im kinda iffy on.

vCash
    I could see Cleveland as a potential trade partner, but even suggesting that the Cavs will deal Irving is ****ing insane. The guy has taken a step back this season, but he was a top 15-20 guy a year ago, and he has potential to be one of the 3-4 best point guards in the league in the next couple of years. There is literally zero chance he gets dealt for anything short of another budding superstar. I also don't think Thompson will be on the block. He's still insanely young, and will likely be viewed as a major piece of their rebuilding process.

However, I could see guys like Varejao, Waiters, Bynum and/or Jack getting dealt. And I would love to see Varejao or Jack in a Rockets uniform. The question is whether the Cavs would bite on a deal for Asik and how much they value him as a potential starting center moving forward.

vCash
    Loading up on guards with existing or potential stardom is not going to help our weaknesses. Getting a forward that can play along Dwight and shutdown/matchup opposing big forward is what we need. Team chemistry on the floor on both sides of the ball is what we need. How about Varajoe, Bass, Milsap, or T. Young, etc. and still have T. Jones to provide depth on bench.