Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,577
    vCash
    1500

    (Per TSN) Leafs and Phaneuf on verge of 7 yr 49 mill extension [Done Deal]

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=439873

    Now that it's pretty much all said and done I'm kinda interested to how everyone feels about this long term. I figured since he's our captain this would be a thread worthy topic. Discuss. By the way.. kinda weird we're not playing on a Saturday.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    24,467
    vCash
    1000
    New contracts in the NHL, I suppose. I really don't know how to judge these deals any more. This star is getting this, but this third/second liner is getting this. I don't know. So difficult now a days.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,577
    vCash
    1500
    I have no problem with paying him 7 million with the cap going up, athough if I were a GM I wouldn't start throwing around 7-8 year deals like they're going out of style. I wanted Phaneuf resigned because we have no other options and his play away from the puck has improved this season. But I don't like 7 years. I don't like 8 for Kessel and I sure as hell don't like 7 for Clarkson. It sucks if this is the way the league is going to go. I'm no fan of long term contracts. I would of given Phaneuf another 500k a year or even closer to a million more a year if it meant a 5 year deal as opposed to a 7. Atleast he'll be 35 when the 7 year deal expires not 40 or closer to 40 like a lot of long term deals so that's a bonus.

    I just find that over the course of 7-8 years with any player you have no idea what might happen to the player, the market, the game and so on and so forth. No idea whether the player's play will tail off after a couple season's either. Plus, and I'm not saying it will happen with Phaneuf, but a lot of pro athletes cash in on a monster deal and "pack it in". You just have to bet on the character of the player as best you can I guess.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    18,698
    vCash
    1500
    The Leafs need him so I hope it becomes official soon.


    Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

    This sums up every sports interview, ever.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    2,710
    vCash
    500
    I don't mind this deal, on the open market he'd likely get more anyways... I loved how they compared it on sportsnet the other day to when Sundin was here. A lot of people ripped on him while he was here, always wanting more... Then once he was gone you saw how bad their options actually were without him (Stajan, Antropov) and then you fully appreciate Sundin's value. I think the exact same thing would happen with Dion gone. The real question is that if Dion didn't have the big bullseye known as the "C" on his chest would people be so hard on the guy?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    2,710
    vCash
    500
    I like TSN for info but there's some real goofs in the comment section. Here's some of the TOP voted comments:

    "I am a diehard Leafs fan and I think this is way to much money to pay for Dion. In my mind he is a blue and white pylon. He is regularly out of position, makes very poor hockey plays and is at best a bottom half defenseman. I don't know what he is like as a leader, however I truly have to believe that this team is not ready to challenge for anything and he is a major reason.That money could be spent better elsewhere if you ask me. "

    "Awesome. Almost as bad a deal as the Clarkson blunder. Imagine when this guy actually loses a step. He's going to make Mike Komisarek look like Paul Coffey..."

    "Noooooooooooooooooo! MLSE obviously doesn't watch the same games everyone else does. This third liner is going to make this kind of money?!? Another seven years of mediocrity leaf fans! this is what happens when the people who make the decisions don't watch the games. How delusional is this? Did they not see his excellent goal on Bernier last night or his great judgement on that last minute penalty? I'm seriously going to buy a wings or chicago jersey. this is ridiculous. furious...."

    Again these are some of the TOP voted comments... What a bunch of idiots..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,577
    vCash
    1500
    For sure he'd get more on the open market. But when you start thinking the open market is always "right" that's when you get your team into contract trouble. Look at David Clarkson. Not saying that happens to everybody or that it will happen to Phaneuf but that's part of the risk that comes along with long term on contracts. Nobody has a crystal ball. I love that we resigned him it just sucks that 7-8 year deals are going to become standard in this league and that's why he got that. Long term deals past 5 years scare the **** out of me. But what are we gonna do realistically when our D is this pathetic with him? It'd obviously be much worse without him. He and his agent kinda had the team bent over a barrel because what can Nonis do? Trade him as a rental and never get enough back? Let him walk and get nothing back? It was a perfect storm for Phaneuf and his agent to renegotiate. Now go out and get him some damn help on the back end please. Please please please.

    Any player in Toronto is going to come with scrutiny when you make that kind of money, wear the C and play on a team who hasn't done a damn thing in forever save one playoff appearance in a BS season. The team starts playing better over the course of the next few years and you'll see more Phaneuf love from the fan base. Mats Sundin was hated on when he first got the C. A few years later down the road the majority of the fan base started to love him. The hate at the end of his time here was because of how he left the team.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 12-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,577
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    I like TSN for info but there's some real goofs in the comment section. Here's some of the TOP voted comments:

    "I am a diehard Leafs fan and I think this is way to much money to pay for Dion. In my mind he is a blue and white pylon. He is regularly out of position, makes very poor hockey plays and is at best a bottom half defenseman. I don't know what he is like as a leader, however I truly have to believe that this team is not ready to challenge for anything and he is a major reason.That money could be spent better elsewhere if you ask me. "

    "Awesome. Almost as bad a deal as the Clarkson blunder. Imagine when this guy actually loses a step. He's going to make Mike Komisarek look like Paul Coffey..."

    "Noooooooooooooooooo! MLSE obviously doesn't watch the same games everyone else does. This third liner is going to make this kind of money?!? Another seven years of mediocrity leaf fans! this is what happens when the people who make the decisions don't watch the games. How delusional is this? Did they not see his excellent goal on Bernier last night or his great judgement on that last minute penalty? I'm seriously going to buy a wings or chicago jersey. this is ridiculous. furious...."

    Again these are some of the TOP voted comments... What a bunch of idiots..
    Yeah TSN always has some of the dumbest comments. I usually don't even look at them when I finish reading the articles now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,016
    vCash
    1500

    (Per TSN) Leafs and Phaneuf on verge of 7 yr 49 mill extension

    I like it. If this team could string more wins together or put together a straight 60 minutes i bet a lot of the comments out there against this deal wouldn't exist. This team is capable of a lot more and, unfortunately, a lot of blame is dropped on his shoulders simply because of the "C". At least now we don't have to worry about 12year deals, 7-8 is a lot easier of a pill to swallow.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    2,710
    vCash
    500
    I agree about your concern with the length there Kinger, I'd much rather have them at 4 or 5 years as well as a maximum length, 7 and 8 is still way too long.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leafs
    Posts
    12,429
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    I like TSN for info but there's some real goofs in the comment section. Here's some of the TOP voted comments:

    "I am a diehard Leafs fan and I think this is way to much money to pay for Dion. In my mind he is a blue and white pylon. He is regularly out of position, makes very poor hockey plays and is at best a bottom half defenseman. I don't know what he is like as a leader, however I truly have to believe that this team is not ready to challenge for anything and he is a major reason.That money could be spent better elsewhere if you ask me. "

    "Awesome. Almost as bad a deal as the Clarkson blunder. Imagine when this guy actually loses a step. He's going to make Mike Komisarek look like Paul Coffey..."

    "Noooooooooooooooooo! MLSE obviously doesn't watch the same games everyone else does. This third liner is going to make this kind of money?!? Another seven years of mediocrity leaf fans! this is what happens when the people who make the decisions don't watch the games. How delusional is this? Did they not see his excellent goal on Bernier last night or his great judgement on that last minute penalty? I'm seriously going to buy a wings or chicago jersey. this is ridiculous. furious...."

    Again these are some of the TOP voted comments... What a bunch of idiots..
    Such stupidity. The funny thing is i bet if Dion wasn't a plus player this year every single one of these comments would have been "supported" by that stat.

    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    For sure he'd get more on the open market. But when you start thinking the open market is always "right" that's when you get your team into contract trouble. Look at David Clarkson. Not saying that happens to everybody or that it will happen to Phaneuf but that's part of the risk that comes along with long term on contracts. Nobody has a crystal ball. I love that we resigned him it just sucks that 7-8 year deals are going to become standard in this league and that's why he got that. Long term deals past 5 years scare the **** out of me. But what are we gonna do realistically when our D is this pathetic with him? It'd obviously be much worse without him. He and his agent kinda had the team bent over a barrel because what can Nonis do? Trade him as a rental and never get enough back? Let him walk and get nothing back? It was a perfect storm for Phaneuf and his agent to renegotiate. Now go out and get him some damn help on the back end please. Please please please.

    Any player in Toronto is going to come with scrutiny when you make that kind of money, wear the C and play on a team who hasn't done a damn thing in forever save one playoff appearance in a BS season. The team starts playing better over the course of the next few years and you'll see more Phaneuf love from the fan base. Mats Sundin was hated on when he first got the C. A few years later down the road the majority of the fan base started to love him. The hate at the end of his time here was because of how he left the team.
    Lupul said it best. He (and his teamates) can't worry about the 50 years with no cup, Dion, Kessel, Lupul can only apologize for the last 4 years. I know you weren't saying that it's their fault but i know some people will.

    Quote Originally Posted by TravisB View Post
    I like it. If this team could string more wins together or put together a straight 60 minutes i bet a lot of the comments out there against this deal wouldn't exist. This team is capable of a lot more and, unfortunately, a lot of blame is dropped on his shoulders simply because of the "C". At least now we don't have to worry about 12year deals, 7-8 is a lot easier of a pill to swallow.
    Yea, when we win everyone is an all-star. When we lose we need to rebuild.

    Leafs have a lot of talent and they are moving in the right direction. Resigning Dion is a no-brainer. $7 million is actually very fair when you look at his value and potential to really cash in as the #1 Dman on the UFA market.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

    To be continued...?

    \_(ツ)_/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    29,158
    vCash
    1500
    It'd be a fair deal, not great for either side. Well, obviously it's great for Dion but he would have gotten a little more on the open market.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leafs
    Posts
    12,429
    vCash
    500

    Leafs sign Phaneuf to a 7 year extension

    A little late (i had a few things to do) but apparently it is 100% complete

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440077

    "I definitely feel that my game has grown with experience and playing in the league," said Phaneuf, who was understandably all smiles at his Michigan Stadium news conference on the day of Winter Classic practices. "You grow as a player, and I've learned a lot of things over my time since I've started, and I feel I'm a better player today than I definitely was when I started and in my time in Calgary, that's for sure."

    $7 million AAV over the next 7 years for a total of $49 million is the deal. Which actually could end of being a slight pay cut in terms of % of the cap (depending on how high the cap goes).


    I don't have much time to get into this now (working on a Winter Classic thread) but Dion's % of cap hit now (at $6.5 million) of the $64.3 million cap is 10.12%. So by my estimation (again i'm multitasking here so if i get this wrong it's not as embarrassing) the cap would have to rise to $69. 17 million for Dion's new cap hit to take up the same % of cap he does this year. And with the projected $71 million cap from Gary Bettman himself, it looks like we might have gotten Dion a little cheaper on the cap this time around.


    Ps. I think i did this calculation in another thread but the above savings^ is about $200,000 in cap dollars
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

    To be continued...?

    \_(ツ)_/

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leafs
    Posts
    12,429
    vCash
    500
    Dregs says on SC that a team is interested in trading for Dion before his NTC kicks in this summer.

    If you were going to trade Dion, signing him to a UFA-lite type deal would really up his value. I'm interested to know what the offer would be. Probably wouldn't be good enough though
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

    To be continued...?

    \_(ツ)_/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leafs
    Posts
    12,429
    vCash
    500
    Just realized we already had a thread. I'll just edit the title if that's ok Kinger


    Last edited by OptiMized; 12-31-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

    To be continued...?

    \_(ツ)_/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •