Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

I will ROFL if this happens.....

ALAMEDA, Calif. – Strength of schedule, rather than head-to-head play, is the biggest determining factor in breaking ties between teams with the same record when it comes to determining draft order.

And it’s the reason the Oakland Raiders went from drafting third a week ago – if the NFL draft were held after 14 games – to fourth now, even as they are one of six teams currently with four wins, along with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns, Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Minnesota Vikings.

So with one game remaining in the regular season – at home Sunday against the AFC West champion Denver Broncos, who can clinch home field throughout the playoffs with a victory – where are the 4-11 Raiders most likely to have their first selection come May?

Well, according to ESPN Stats & Information, if Washington loses to the New York Giants on Sunday, the Raiders can go no higher than third overall, behind the Houston Texans and St. Louis Rams, who hold Washington’s first-round pick.

Then, it mostly depends upon what happens with the Raiders and the Jaguars, who play at the Indianapolis Colts. If both the Raiders and Jaguars lose their finales, the Raiders would pick after the Jaguars since Oakland would maintain a higher strength of schedule.

But if the Raiders and all of the other four-win teams were to lose, Oakland could fall as low as eighth overall.
    -Paul Gutierrez
    Now, so many Raiders' fans have wanted us to lose out to get a higher draft pick and so that Reggie's excuse to fire DA would be easier on the eyes. Now, I am not convinced that either of these will take place even if we do lose out. I believe there's a greater chance of DA's dismissal than being retained, but I am hoping he'll be retained. Now, let's look at the teams tied with us at 4-11.

Jacksonville: They go to Indy and will lose imo.
    Browns: They travel to Pittsburgh and they'll lose.
    Atlanta: Faces Carolina and they'll more than likely lose.
    Tampa Bay: They travel to New Orleans and they'll lose.
    Minnesota: I think they play Detroit, and they may just win that one, but they'll probably lose.

So, those who wanted us to lose out will probably get their wish, seeing that we have a <1% of beating the Broncos. I see us losing something like 48-19.

But Washington plays the Giants and maybe they will squeak out a win and help us out. But if all the 4-11 teams lose, including us, then we'll slide down the draft to # 8.......

So we could lose out and slide all the way down to # 8 overall in the draft. Kudos!!! Yaaay!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    Now, so many Raiders' fans have wanted us to lose out to get a higher draft pick and so that Reggie's excuse to fire DA would be easier on the eyes. Now, I am not convinced that either of these will take place even if we do lose out. I believe there's a greater chance of DA's dismissal than being retained, but I am hoping he'll be retained. Now, let's look at the teams tied with us at 4-11.

Jacksonville: They go to Indy and will lose imo.
    Browns: They travel to Pittsburgh and they'll lose.
    Atlanta: Faces Carolina and they'll more than likely lose.
    Tampa Bay: They travel to New Orleans and they'll lose.
    Minnesota: I think they play Detroit, and they may just win that one, but they'll probably lose.

So, those who wanted us to lose out will probably get their wish, seeing that we have a <1% of beating the Broncos. I see us losing something like 48-19.

But Washington plays the Giants and maybe they will squeak out a win and help us out. But if all the 4-11 teams lose, including us, then we'll slide down the draft to # 8.......

So we could lose out and slide all the way down to # 8 overall in the draft. Kudos!!! Yaaay!!!!
    Minnesota will be without Adrian Peterson as well.

Not looking good for us at all. We lose out and still come out being the big losers by possibly falling down all the way to pick #8.

vCash
    I wouldn't ROFL. I would puke. That sucks balls

vCash
    bs. We cant fall below Min even if we both lose. Min would have 1 less lost that us. We are getting a top 5 pick guaranteed if we lose on Sunday. When you have Washington, Texans Jags ahead of you that should be good for us since we played all of them and Falcons have the toughest schedule of them all playing against Saints, Panthers, Seahawks, Giants etc. Dont worry nation top 5 pick is ours unless Pryor surprises us and goes out and beats the Donkey's.

vCash
    here is current strength of schedule. I highly doubt we lose out on 30+ points considering most of the teams we played are playing against other teams we played which washes them out to even .500 at best.

3. Jaguars (4-11) (.493)

4. Raiders (4-11) (.498)

5. Browns (4-11) (.520)

6. Falcons (4-11) (.540)

7. Bucs (4-11) (.569)

8. Vikings (4-10-1)

vCash
    Oh just great! This just gets better and better...what's next, the Bronc-hoes, Chiefs, or Patriots win the Super Bowl?
    GIFSoup
    Coming to an ACC court near you.

vCash
    According to my calculations, the worst case scenario we will pick #5.

Can't pick #8. Vikings, even with a lost, will have a better winning percentage.

Pick Team Division Wins Loses Win. % SOS %
    1 Houston Texans AFC South 2 14 0.125 0.566
    2 St. Louis Rams via WAS NFC West 3 13 0.188 0.516
    3 Jacksonville Jaguars AFC South 4 12 0.250 0.508
    4 Cleveland Browns AFC North 4 12 0.250 0.516
    5 Oakland Raiders AFC West 4 12 0.250 0.520
    6 Atlanta Falcons NFC South 4 12 0.250 0.557
    7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFC South 4 12 0.250 0.582
    Last edited by weeman323; 12-28-2013 at 12:56 AM.

vCash
    The reason why it miffs me to see fans wanting us to lose just to garner better draft picks is because of this. I have never been blessed with the athletic ability to play organized football, but I used to play in yards with others and had the time of my life. I played football based solely on the fact that I love it. I eat, drink, and sleep it. It's my passion, other than Jesus Christ, of course, but that's another topic.

Look at the first 26 games of Tampa Bay's existence. They lost all 26, and I am sure they never thought of losing the other two games to ensure themselves of the #1 overall pick. No player on the Raiders, or anyother franchise, will give a second thought of wanting to lose games so their GM will have better picks. So, if they don't want to tank the season, why should we want them to? They travel, practice hard all week, have their muscles massaged, lay in whirlpool tubs, are bandaged up from their ankles to their necks, have to crawl outta the bed, just to play a game they love. It would be a spit in their face for us to want them to lose "meaningless games"(use that in front of them and see where that gets you), just to get better picks. Those who choose to go this route needn't worry about wearing a jockstrap, because there's nothing in their scrotum that needs protected.......

There have been players who lost their mobility playing this game, who would give anything to play the game again. There are the Junior Seau's , the Dave Deurson's, the Andre Waters', who committed suicide from coming back into the game, playing with concussions, because of this great game they loved. Then there's Ronnie Lott, who chose to have part of his finger lopped off, just so that he could play next week. And yet, some of our fans want us to lose "meaningless games"......they might be meaningless to you, but not to me, nor the Raiders' players and organization. Go ask Howie Long, Ronnie Lott, Mike Ditka, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, if they'd want to lose out for better picks and duck........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Cog Neato View Post
    The reason why it miffs me to see fans wanting us to lose just to garner better draft picks is because of this. I have never been blessed with the athletic ability to play organized football, but I used to play in yards with others and had the time of my life. I played football based solely on the fact that I love it. I eat, drink, and sleep it. It's my passion, other than Jesus Christ, of course, but that's another topic.

Look at the first 26 games of Tampa Bay's existence. They lost all 26, and I am sure they never thought of losing the other two games to ensure themselves of the #1 overall pick. No player on the Raiders, or anyother franchise, will give a second thought of wanting to lose games so their GM will have better picks. So, if they don't want to tank the season, why should we want them to? They travel, practice hard all week, have their muscles massaged, lay in whirlpool tubs, are bandaged up from their ankles to their necks, have to crawl outta the bed, just to play a game they love. It would be a spit in their face for us to want them to lose "meaningless games"(use that in front of them and see where that gets you), just to get better picks. Those who choose to go this route needn't worry about wearing a jockstrap, because there's nothing in their scrotum that needs protected.......

There have been players who lost their mobility playing this game, who would give anything to play the game again. There are the Junior Seau's , the Dave Deurson's, the Andre Waters', who committed suicide from coming back into the game, playing with concussions, because of this great game they loved. Then there's Ronnie Lott, who chose to have part of his finger lopped off, just so that he could play next week. And yet, some of our fans want us to lose "meaningless games"......they might be meaningless to you, but not to me, nor the Raiders' players and organization. Go ask Howie Long, Ronnie Lott, Mike Ditka, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis, if they'd want to lose out for better picks and duck........
    Very well said

vCash
    Uhh....How many top 10 draft picks have worked out for us? 3rd, 4th, 8th, 10th.....who cares.
    When we draft isn't going to transform this team for next year. Some people are fighting to keep their jobs.
    Ask DA if he cares what draft pick we have BEFORE the game. A win would be more beneficial for the mental aspect of this team than losing a couple of spots in line. Whenever we pick, so be it!

vCash
    First, there's nothing funny about the Raiders being put in a worse draft position. That's not amusing by any stretch of the imagination. Ironic, perhaps, but not amusing.

Secondly, I have questions about the validity of this theory. Unless I've got this wrong, strength of schedule is cumulative, not conditional - SOS, as I understand it, is based on the 16 games, not the 15 the teams have played thus far.

At least one (or two) terrible teams will pull an upset this weekend - the late season 'spoil' happens almost every year.

As weeman posted, the Raiders look likely to end up with the #5 overall selection. That's the likely outcome, barring a Raider win against Denver.

vCash
    Its not going to matter(for us), in the near future 4th or 5th or 6th etc.

Free agency is going to separate us from the boys to the men.(this off season)

I don't think this draft is going to be as dramatic as we think it is(IMO) , free agency? Now there is where all the drama will be coming from over the next 6 months. We (I) have never seen a team do , what this team is going to do ,in one offseason.

Just be prepared, not all free agency moves are going to be good ones, it is the nature of the "business". But it will be a fun ride.

vCash
    I think everyone is missing N. Cogs point. Why the hell would you watch a game on Sunday and hope for your team to lose. Id take a division win over higher draft positioning anyday.. You play to win the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Uhh....How many top 10 draft picks have worked out for us? 3rd, 4th, 8th, 10th.....who cares.
    When we draft isn't going to transform this team for next year. Some people are fighting to keep their jobs.
    Ask DA if he cares what draft pick we have BEFORE the game. A win would be more beneficial for the mental aspect of this team than losing a couple of spots in line. Whenever we pick, so be it!
    Bingo.

Feel the wrath of the darkside.

vCash
    Yeah, forget trying to lose, I still want to laugh at my Bronco friends if we win. Plus Sundays always feel better with a Raider W

My girl. Don't look at her.

STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast