Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Will hand checking ever be a part of the game again ?

It seems like today's elite defenders are at an extreme disadvantage when it comes to guarding today's highly skilled players , is there a balance to be found among the current rules and officials or will the ticky tack call be forever a part of the game going forward .

Is it the current rules or the current crop of officials leading to this parade to the charity stripe , should the NBA bring back hand checking or in some way level the playing field for defenders or do you feel it's just fine as it is ?

Discuss .

vCash
    I just think the referees need to stop calling so many fouls. Then players will quit flopping so much and trying to initiate contact because they predict the referees to call "ticky-tack" fouls. The hand checking should come back because how else are you going to stop LeBron from bulldozing his way to the rim. The foul calls need to become more consistent and more physical.

Who the best in the league? You tell me...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEnNB4aSRs

vCash
    Eliminating Handchecking was how they found the balance. Im not buying the notion that there is a parade to the foul line, and before anyone mentions it, todays defenses are more intricate and todays defenders are more athletic. The only way they get rid of handchecking today is if they once again make zone defenses illegal.

But the NBA would never do that because it would bring back stale isolation offenses that cleared the lane for a singular dominant player with 4 bystanders. Everyone tried to be like Mike but nobody cared to watch how Mike played off the ball, they just want to reenact the iso theatrics.
    Yo Kobe, get at me bro, we'd have a good time, man

vCash
    While there was an appeal to those days, I just don't see it happening.

Athletic players and highlight plays sells tickets, and we know what the NBA really cares about... it's all about the $$$.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    Great thread but sadly i think the answer is no... When hand checking was eliminated you could slowly see the flops rising in the NBA. All the NBA cares about is money not the game. Put it this way when Jordan left basketball they needed another GOAT to insert after him so lets change the rules increase scoring and lets all sit around a camp fire and talk about how Lebron is going to pass Larry Bird on the all time scoring list. The worst thing is people are already comparing him to MJ.

Different players in different eras... everyone today is comparing apples to oranges.

Someone show me a Hakeem, Ewing, Drexler, Bird or MJ flop.

Now lets compare that to today someone show me a Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Pierce, CP3 flop... etc

Like I was saying apples and oranges between the different eras and the elites of those times.
    Last edited by ghettosean; 12-27-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    Great points everybody , often times i feel the elite defender is somewhat being minimized in the regular season , it seems like he will flourish more come playoff time when whistles are harder to get and he can apply more of that physical ability without worrying as much about the quick whistle .

I would love to see a little more of a balance between regular and post season , it seems basketball in general improves so much during the playoffs .

vCash
    I think it's safe to say that hand-checking, mid-range shooting, and low-post play will all be gone from the game in the not so distant future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme LA View Post
    I think it's safe to say that hand-checking, mid-range shooting, and low-post play will all be gone from the game in the not so distant future.
    mid range and low post will always be there lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosean View Post
    Great thread but sadly i think the answer is no... When hand checking was eliminated you could slowly see the flops rising in the NBA. All the NBA cares about is money not the game. Put it this way when Jordan left basketball they needed another GOAT to insert after him so lets change the rules increase scoring and lets all sit around a camp fire and talk about how Lebron is going to pass Larry Bird on the all time scoring list. The worst thing is people are already comparing him to MJ.

Different players in different eras... everyone today is comparing apples to oranges.

Now lets compare that to today someone show me a Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Pierce, CP3 flop... etc

Like I was saying apples and oranges between the different eras and the elites of those times.
    Ignoring the advances defenses have made since MJ's era would be foolish. Its not apples to oranges at all, if anything todays league makes it harder for the individual scorer. Its a negligible difference. Stop acting like flopping consists in any way of the majority of the game. Flopping had been rising long before the rule changes, they had nothing to do with each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme LA View Post
    Seems like it but at least we get more team oriented play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SMH! View Post
    mid range and low post will always be there lol
    Really? Where have you been the last decade? It seems the only big men with any skill in the post will be leaving the game in a few years. I guess it's just me who has seen a total transition to the European style of game where big men just pick & pop over the last 5 years.

The mid-range game has been gone for a long time outside of a handful of players in the league who can actually do it consistently. I think it's common knowledge that the NBA game is all about the 3-ball nowadays. I don't know where you've been. I'm not saying this is a bad thing.

I will miss the post-play because I just think it's one of the best skills in basketball and the most difficult to master. It's kind of a shame that future generations aren't being taught how to play in the post going through AAU. It's a lost art really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Seems like it but at least we get more team oriented play.
    True. I'm not saying one style of game is better than the other, although post-play is one of the most beautiful things about the game. I wouldn't mind some variation in the game where it isn't all running up & down the court playing pick and roll.

I've just always appreciated using the half-court game to control pace and playing inside-out. It's one reason why I hate the fact that I'll probably never see the triangle offense again aside from small variations of it. Sucks because it really was one of the most successful systems in the games history.
    Last edited by Supreme LA; 12-27-2013 at 09:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz:27684145

Ignoring the advances defenses have made since MJ's era would be foolish. Its not apples to oranges at all, if anything todays league makes it harder for the individual scorer. Its a negligible difference. Stop acting like flopping consists in any way of the majority of the game. Flopping had been rising long before the rule changes, they had nothing to do with each other.
    Chronz I'm not saying defenses haven't changed or even improved since the rules have been changed between different eras of basketball but flailing your arms 20 years ago wouldn't buy you as much as it does today in fact i would lay bets other players around the league back then call you soft or a straight up ***** for not even playing but instead ACTING like that to get an easy 2 points. To me it's not even basketball its acting and acting and it takes away from the game.

Also like i said it is apples to oranges because if you compare todays nba elite players to previous eras.... Well you are a smart guy you can see the difference in the clear point i brought up regarding flopping. As for the thread topic on hand checking i don't see how giving defenses more power to defend --> makes it harder for the offensive player to score like you mentioned can you explain in more detail? When i think about it logically if you take power away from the defender it would make it easier for the offensive player and offensive players would exploit that. All I'm saying is with any major rule change theres a different generation of basketball and people play according to those new rules but comparing decades of basketball with hand checking to the latest era where its illegal is apples to oranges in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    Chronz I'm not saying defenses haven't changed or even improved since the rules have been changed between different eras of basketball but flailing your arms 20 years ago wouldn't buy you as much as it does today in fact i would lay bets other players around the league back then call you soft or a straight up ***** for not even playing but instead ACTING like that to get an easy 2 points. To me it's not even basketball its acting and acting and it takes away from the game.

Also like i said it is apples to oranges because if you compare todays nba elite players to previous eras.... Well you are a smart guy you can see the difference in the clear point i brought up regarding flopping. As for the thread topic on hand checking i don't see how giving defenses more power to defend --> makes it harder for the offensive player to score like you mentioned can you explain in more detail? When i think about it logically if you take power away from the defender it would make it easier for the offensive player and offensive players would exploit that. All I'm saying is with any major rule change theres a different generation of basketball and people play according to those new rules but comparing decades of basketball with hand checking to the latest era where its illegal is apples to oranges in comparison.
    Zone defense has hurt scoring more than hand checking did. The thing is offensive players could get away with pushing off more with there off hand as well. So they almost cancel each other out. In the meantime you can now run a zone which clogs the middle a lot. It was easier to get to the hoop pre-zone. And scoring is lower than it was then overall anyway so there is no evidence that it is easier to score now, and there is evidence of the contrary.

vCash
    No, but coat and hat checking will see a comeback.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast