Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Cool Nnamndi Asomugha Signs One Day Contract With Raiders!

Former NFL cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha will retire after 11 NFL seasons after signing a one-day contract with the Oakland Raiders, the team announced Thursday.

Asomugha signed with the San Francisco 49ers in the offseason, but was released last month.

Asomugha, 32, spent his first eight seasons with the Raiders after being drafted with the 31st pick in the 1st round of the 2003 NFL Draft.

He was one of the best cornerbacks in the league during that time, making three Pro Bowls and being named a two-time first-Team All-Pro.

He agreed to a five-year, $60 million deal in 2011 with the Philadelphia Eagles, spending two seasons with the team before signing with the Niners.

TAGS: NFL, NNAMDI ASOMUGHA, OAKLAND RAIDERS
    Link:
    http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/26/fo...gha-to-retire/

-Former Raiders defensive back Nnamdi Asomugha will announce his retirement from professional football in a news conference at Oakland Raiders headquarters on Friday, Dec. 27 at 3:00 p.m.

Asomugha will be joined at his retirement announcement by legendary Raiders defensive backs Willie Brown, Lester Hayes and Charles Woodson.

Asomugha will retire as a Raider following an 11-year NFL career that began when he was selected by the Silver and Black in the first round (31st overall) of the 2003 NFL Draft. The University of California product played eight seasons in Oakland, totaling 11 interceptions, earning three Pro Bowl selections (2008-10) and garnering first-team All-Pro honors twice (2008, 2010).

He played two years with the Philadelphia Eagles (2011-12) and played with the San Francisco 49ers earlier this season. Asomugha finished his distinguished career with 15 interceptions and 80 passes defensed in 143 games (124 starts).

Who: Nnamdi Asomugha, accompanied by Willie Brown, Lester Hayes, Charles Woodson
    What: Nnamdi Asomugha retirement press conference
    When: Friday, Dec. 27 at 3 p.m. (Pacific Time)
    Where: 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway, Alameda, Calif., 94502

*one of my my favorite players (until he signed with the niners) I'm glad to see him retire with the team that gave him the opputunity to play in the NFL. I'm curious how this all went down tho. Who called who?
    Last edited by RaiderFanBL9; 12-26-2013 at 09:40 PM.

RAIDER NATION

vCash
    It's crazy to see how quick his career changed from one of the best CB in nfl history to bearly making an nfl roster.

RAIDER NATION

vCash
    One of the best cornerbacks in NFL history? Absolutely not.

vCash
    He would be hard pressed to make my list for the Raiders top 5.

I see it as follows: -1 Mike Haynes 2-Willie Brown 3-Lester Hayes 4-Charles Woodson 5-Terry McDaniel. I would probably rate Skip Thomas and Eric Allen ahead of Nnamdi as well.

Good player but his myth was greatly exaggerated due to being the best player on so many weak defensive units. QB's simply avoided him.

vCash
    His ego must be shot, why didn't he just move to safety like C Wood and R Wood? He could have added another four to five years. He always said he wanted to go into politics.....maybe his passion is politics now.

vCash
    Sign his *** and have him play safety.

Why is he quitting anyway? Gotta be ego?

He was one of the best in the league, but not in NFL history.

I'd take him as a free safety though.

Maybe not Branch and Woodson would be fine back there when healthy.

vCash
    ^ I just want Woodson back next year. Want to see him on this team when we get this right........hopefully.

McGOAT

vCash
    Just met Lester the other day. Sad to see Nnamdi go out like this. I loved him as a Raider. He was one of the very few bright spots over the years. Hopefully he'll be a commentator or a coach in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oak18 View Post
    Just met Lester the other day. Sad to see Nnamdi go out like this. I loved him as a Raider. He was one of the very few bright spots over the years. Hopefully he'll be a commentator or a coach in the future.
    Would love to meet the Judge. I loved the tandem of he and Haynes. Best ever.
    His 1980 season was the most dominant ever by a cornerback.

vCash
    It was fun watching him play but like all good things must come to a end...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKazguxdgqQ Charlie Garner "Going Hard"

vCash
    Heard he thinks he has what it takes to be an actor lol. And with his new wife, I think he is gonna take a shot at show biz.

vCash
    **** we could use him on the field next year lol

But he was a rare brightspot in the mid 2000's, had a good career
    #Joc2LA

vCash
    Stand up guy all around. Wish him the best. He has been in atleast one movie before I saw. One of our very few guys who is intelligent, probowl talent and class.

vCash
    Easily one of my favorite Raiders in recent memory. I enjoyed watching his progression with the Raiders from the guy that everyone picked on -- teammates and opposing QBs alike -- to the guy who everyone respected. A hard worker on the field, a great man off of it. I wish him the best and I'm glad to see him retire as an Oakland Raider.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    He would be hard pressed to make my list for the Raiders top 5.

I see it as follows: -1 Mike Haynes 2-Willie Brown 3-Lester Hayes 4-Charles Woodson 5-Terry McDaniel. I would probably rate Skip Thomas and Eric Allen ahead of Nnamdi as well.

Good player but his myth was greatly exaggerated due to being the best player on so many weak defensive units. QB's simply avoided him.
    You bring up some great players. You have to remember when you start comparing players from different generation... your not comparing apples to apples. Haynes, Brown, and Hayes played in an era that you could rape the receiver and decapitate him at the end of the play. Also corners would dare receivers to go across the middle to the LB and safeties in fear of losing their head. Honestly its hard to find a great corner now a days. Trust me not that this should change your list, however just pointing out that Nniambi played great in his day and age and should be recognized for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast