Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Cro willing to restructure to stay w/ Jets

Seth Walder‏@SethWalderNYDN
    Antonio Cromartie said he would "definitely" be open to restructuring his contract. "This is where I want to retire." #nyj

Antonio Cromartie said Thursday he would be willing to restructure his contract to remain with the New York Jets.

"This is where I want to retire," the cornerback said, according to the New York Daily News.

A year ago, the Jets surely would be on board with Cromartie, who has one year remaining on his deal and is due a $5 million bonus in March. Now, the 29-year-old's future is less clear.

Cromartie opened the season as a Rex Ryan favorite. The coach routinely called him one of the best corners in football, and Cromartie's high-end coverage skills in 2012 gave the franchise a measure of comfort when they made the move to trade Darrelle Revis.

That's part of what made Cromartie's swift fall from grace so painful for the team. This season, Cromartie is ranked 104th out of 110 corners by Pro Football Focus, a site that grades every snaps for every NFL player. Cromartie was ranked 16th using the same metrics in 2012.

Cromartie has been slowed by a knee injury and a hip issue that he concedes could require offseason surgery. It helps to explain his struggles this season -- especially on deep balls.

The nadir of Cromartie's season came Sunday, when Ryan turned to rookie Dee Milliner to match up against dynamic Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon. The Jets won and Milliner -- who's had his own well-documented struggles in 2013 -- held his own.

The secondary has been a major issue for the Jets, and the team will remain committed to Milliner, the No. 9 overall draft pick in April's draft. The Jets don't have nearly the same committment to Cromartie -- they could conceivably walk away after Sunday.

Just another question mark in an offseason full of them in Florham Park.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-they-want-him

If hes willing to take a paycut, im all in for keeping him. He is still better than alot of the CBs out there. Regardless of his poor play this season.

FROM COUNTRY ROADS TO THE BIG APPLE .. FLIGHT GENO , READY FOR DEPARTURE

vCash
    I love his loyalty. He has to take a pay cut in order to stay. His production no longer matches his salary.
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    Great to hear.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Of all the Jets high priced vets (Sanchez, Holmes, etc.) - Cro is the one I would be most willing to keep if he restructures. It looked pretty obvious he was banged up all year and was trying to fight through it. If the price is right - keep him for sure. He showed in the past that he can be a very valuable CB when healthy...

My only questions moving forward is: What is the extent of his injuries and if he does need surgery - how long until he would be back at 100%?

vCash
    Its like he's the Anti-Revis!

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    I do hope a reasonable statement will be reached that will still allow Cro to get paid decently and the Jets to not have to bank the bank to retain him.

In spite of his struggles this year, Cro still has years of football left in him.

Important to point out, that even though Cro struggled this year, he wasn't really getting torched until he tweeked his knee during a practice early in the year.

With DMilliner looking like he's ready to emerge as a competent starter and a healthy Cro, it would be a good time to consider playing AAllen alongside of Ed Reed, as AAllen may be the secondary captain next year.

vCash
    I like Cro's loyalty and leadership, especially for a guy who came over here with the notion of being irresponsible.

That being said, if the price is right, we should keep him, but free agency has a few good options out there in the secondary.

If keeping Cro allows us to get an elite safety, I'm even more for it then

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYozzy View Post
    Seth Walder‏@SethWalderNYDN
    Antonio Cromartie said he would "definitely" be open to restructuring his contract. "This is where I want to retire." #nyj

Antonio Cromartie said Thursday he would be willing to restructure his contract to remain with the New York Jets.

"This is where I want to retire," the cornerback said, according to the New York Daily News.

A year ago, the Jets surely would be on board with Cromartie, who has one year remaining on his deal and is due a $5 million bonus in March. Now, the 29-year-old's future is less clear.

Cromartie opened the season as a Rex Ryan favorite. The coach routinely called him one of the best corners in football, and Cromartie's high-end coverage skills in 2012 gave the franchise a measure of comfort when they made the move to trade Darrelle Revis.

That's part of what made Cromartie's swift fall from grace so painful for the team. This season, Cromartie is ranked 104th out of 110 corners by Pro Football Focus, a site that grades every snaps for every NFL player. Cromartie was ranked 16th using the same metrics in 2012.

Cromartie has been slowed by a knee injury and a hip issue that he concedes could require offseason surgery. It helps to explain his struggles this season -- especially on deep balls.

The nadir of Cromartie's season came Sunday, when Ryan turned to rookie Dee Milliner to match up against dynamic Cleveland Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon. The Jets won and Milliner -- who's had his own well-documented struggles in 2013 -- held his own.

The secondary has been a major issue for the Jets, and the team will remain committed to Milliner, the No. 9 overall draft pick in April's draft. The Jets don't have nearly the same committment to Cromartie -- they could conceivably walk away after Sunday.

Just another question mark in an offseason full of them in Florham Park.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-they-want-him

If hes willing to take a paycut, im all in for keeping him. He is still better than alot of the CBs out there. Regardless of his poor play this season.
    If he's willing to come down to $2 million a year from $9.5 million, I'm all for it. Nothing more. He was just pitiful, awful and horrendous wrapped into one.

vCash
    He would need a clean bill of health before the Jets would re-negotiate. His injury is the same one that has nagged him in the past. Ya'll take a look at the article mentioning the re-occurrence of this same injury he's been battling his entire career that could be a degenerative hip stress fracture that will get worse before getting better unless he stops playing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...a-bigger-issue

He could easily slip into an ineffective 2014 season that could cost the team another year of misery in the secondary. I personally think they've seen enough of him and will replace him next season. That's a big risk.
    Last edited by John X Doe; 12-26-2013 at 07:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    He would need a clean bill of health before the Jets would re-negotiate. His injury is the same one that has nagged him in the past. Ya'll take a look at the article mentioning the re-occurrence of this same injury he's been battling his entire career that could be a degenerative hip stress fracture that will get worse before getting better unless he stops playing.

He could easily slip into an ineffective 2014 season that could cost the team another year of misery in the secondary. I personally think they've seen enough of him and will replace him next season. That's a big risk.
    I agree, he was really getting toasted by damn near every wide out he went up against. Years prior he speed and athleticism could compensate but it was tough watching him. I think Sanchez, Tone and him are cut, no restuctures, no question.

vCash
    I love the loyalty, but this is a business. He's turning 30 at a position that doesn't age well and for all we know he could very well be done. Unless his contract is SIGNIFICANTLY restructured, I wouldn't want him back. You can't pass up that $9.5 million IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalPanda View Post
    Its like he's the Anti-Revis!
    Exactly and that's the reason we needs to keep him.. He is a good corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post

I really like Cro, so it pains me to say this, but I agree. Its an awfully big risk to take on a guy who may or may not ever return to what he was.

That being said, if he is willing to restructure and take a significant pay cut, then we should keep him around. If we can get his number into the 5 or 6 million range for next year, I don't see any reason not to bring him back...

It all comes down to where that number is...

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    Yeah, he HAS to do this to stay. And on a down year with surgery looming his prospects look thin. I will admit the fact that he needs surgery scares me, but I feel like he can't be this bad. You lose talent over time, it doesn't disappear into thin air (unless the injuries are too much to overcome, and I am going to assume thats not the case)

I think we are going to bring in CBs anyways (especially if we keep Rex) so I don't think giving Cro a chance at a reasonable price is crazy, considering we have money to spare.

vCash
    Just move him to FS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast