Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Unwritten Rules of Baseball

With Harold Reynolds, Jim Kaat, Bob Costas, and Tom Verducci discussing on MLB Network, I figured it was good to bring up the discussion about unwritten rules, and what you think should apply, and what shouldn't matter

Topics like

Sign stealing
    Bunting to break up a no-hitter
    Retaliation
    Excessive celebration
    etc

Discuss

I think sign stealing is fine, and bunting to break up a no-hitter are totally fine. And I think retaliation is archaic and unnecessary...and it puts a guy on for free. However, there is a time and a place to disrupt and pitch inside...and that is required....and excessive celebration, I think you are just making yourself look bad.

vCash
    Add....stealing bases with a huge lead

As Whitey Herzog said 'We'll stop trying to steal when you stop trying to score runs'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Sign stealing
    Part of the game.
    There's a reason the catcher doesn't yell the pitch to the pitcher. If you want it to be a secret. Keep it a secret.

Bunting to break up a no-hitter
    Totally fine. If you don't want the other team to get a hit, then play defense and don't let them get a hit.

Retaliation
    Stupid. The Hatfield's and McCoy's fought so long they forgot why there were fighting. Just knew they had to keep retaliating.

Excessive celebration
    is, by definition, excessive.
    I'm more of the Barry Sanders hand the ball to the ump line of thinking, but I don't have a problem with players being happy about their accomplishments. If you don't want them to celebrate, keep them from having a reason to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Part of the game.
    There's a reason the catcher doesn't yell the pitch to the pitcher. If you want it to be a secret. Keep it a secret.

Totally fine. If you don't want the other team to get a hit, then play defense and don't let them get a hit.

Stupid. The Hatfield's and McCoy's fought so long they forgot why there were fighting. Just knew they had to keep retaliating.

is, by definition, excessive.
    I'm more of the Barry Sanders hand the ball to the ump line of thinking, but I don't have a problem with players being happy about their accomplishments. If you don't want them to celebrate, keep them from having a reason to.
    I agree on every part.

Jordanny Valdespin is the celebration thing that makes me think though.

Celebrating a home run, hit in the 9th, down 8-1

vCash
    Running over the pitchers mound on way back to dugout.

vCash
    Someone should write them down

vCash
    I agree on every part.

Jordanny Valdespin is the celebration thing that makes me think though.

Celebrating a home run, hit in the 9th, down 8-1
    There's a simple explanation for Jordany Valdespin for doing something like in a blowout.

He's an idiot lol. Good luck to him in Miami..
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-23-2013 at 08:42 PM.

vCash
    I don't like hitting anybody for retaliation or whatsoever. I think overcelebrating(a-la K-Rod on his prime for example) in an away field is iffy, but that's just me.

Everything else is fine by me.
    Carlos Beltran 2014 Stats:
    33 Games | .307 wOBA | .240 BABIP | 5 HRs | 14 Runs | 15 RBIs

vCash
    I don't understand the no celebrating. if someone does something worth celebrating, let them celebrate. they're playing a game, and should be allowed to have some fun.
    if playerX hits a HR, so what if he stands there to watch it, or does some type of celebrating as he rounds the bases. one of the biggest HR's in baseball was Kirk Gibson's shot off of Dennis Eckersley. no only is it special because of that, but because of his fist pumping as he rounded the bases. that's what made it epic.

vCash
    Add....stealing bases with a huge lead

As Whitey Herzog said 'We'll stop trying to steal when you stop trying to score runs'
    Agreed.

No lead is safe. We've seen some historic comebacks before. If the opposition is still clawing their way back into the game, why the **** would I take my foot off the gas? NEVER understood that one.

And bunting during a no hitter, NEVER had a problem with that. He's trying to get on base any means. It's like the ballplayer that leans into a curve ball to get on base. It's just using any strategy to get your offense rolling.

vCash
    You should be able to celebrate your homer no matter what the circumstance is.

Don't like the batter celebrating? Don't give up the homer. Plain and simple. Don't be a cry baby and escalate the situation by hitting batters purposely, or stopping the batter from reaching home plate(I'm looking at you McCann)

vCash
    All unwritten rules are dumb! Its a game and games are suppose to be fun. Just like YoungStuna said you dont like celebrating get the guy out or get a hit so the batter/pitcher doesnt celebrate. K-Rod, Rodney, Valverde, Puig and other players celebrations are hilarious.

If people werent so damn uptight and worried about being "showed up" the game would be more fun. Football, Hockey, Soccer and Basketball players celebrate all the time. Do you see the other team getting pissed off? No, they try and do something about it and celebrate as well.

vCash
    How do you run the score up in baseball? There's no clock, so it's not like they're pushing to score before the clock hits zero. If they keep scoring, how is that the winning teams fault or disrespect? Do some people really want these guys to make outs on purpose?

The whole, "running up the score" concept in baseball is very strange.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    How do you run the score up in baseball? There's no clock, so it's not like they're pushing to score before the clock hits zero. If they keep scoring, how is that the winning teams fault or disrespect? Do some people really want these guys to make outs on purpose?

The whole, "running up the score" concept in baseball is very strange.
    I can understand why teams have a problem with running up the score. It's perceived as useless stat padding/going out of your way to embarrass the other team when being up 10-1 for example. I don't agree with that stance personally because there are plenty of examples where teams come back from 6,7,8 runs down especially hitting in conducive ballparks like Coors Field but I get it.

It's the same with celebrating a solo home run when you are down 8-1 in the bottom of the 9th inning.

There should be a certain amount of professionalism that's awarded to both sides and sometimes that is forgotten in professional sports. That's where the new school/old school debate comes into play.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-24-2013 at 10:15 AM.

vCash
    There is one of the most time honored "unwritten rules" of baseball that has yet to be spoken on this thread.. It is one that most fans NEVER EVER get to hear.. In fact, it's one that is almost always the providence of the Catcher and the home plate umpire... and the batter w/ his dugout as his worthy support..

There are just some things that CANNOT be said to the homeplate umpire.. those things can't be whispered, they can't be shouted.. they can't be mumbled.. Make no mistake.. the home plate umpire.. hears every single time one of these "unwritten rules" phrases are uttered..

The movie, "A League of Their Own" touches on the subject: the hat.. looking like a penis.... So , we all know they're there.. As a catcher, you don't have a manual that lists these 'phrases/words'..but every one knows what they are.. and they remain as an unwritten rule: Thou shalt not utter thine phrases lest yee be tossed herewith...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast