Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

[NFL] Why Rob Gronkowski, Patriots may end up parting ways in 2015.

Oft-injured New England tight end Rob Gronkowski, who most recently had his season ended last month due to torn knee ligaments, could end up being one of the NFL's top bargains, even considering all of the time he has missed due to health problems. Gronkowski, who signed a new deal prior to the 2012 season that was commonly represented as the highest-ever at his position, could in fact end up averaging just over $4 million a season for the Patriots and could be gone by the 2015 season.

Gronkowski, whose health history led to him signing a team-friendly extension in the first place, has most of the money in this deal tied up from 2016-2019, which at this point he is unlikely to see. Gronkowski is set to make $15 million alone in 2015, in the form of $5 million in salary (which is guaranteed only for injury but not for cap or production purposes), as well as a $10 million option bonus that the Patriots could opt to pick up at any point in the 2015 league year. Numerous sources who reviewed this contract said they highly doubt New England picks up that $10 million option, which would make Gronk a free agent.

Should New England pick up that bonus, that triggers Gronkowski's deal from 2016-2019 (worth $27 million). Given Gronkowski's run of injuries -- it stands to reason he opens 2014 on the Physically Unable To Perform List and returns to the team midseason -- and the calculated manner with which Bill Belichick often operates, it's quite likely this situation is resolved even before the 2015 season.

Gronkowski makes $3.75M in 2014 -- quite cheap even given his injuries -- and he made just $660,000 this season. He collected $8.82M in 2012 -- when he reached this extension -- and in reality could end up making $12.2 million for those three years and then he released (a modest $4M average). Now, given his health -- Gronkowski had back surgery in college and has been an injury risk throughout his pro career -- the ability to secure that money after two years in the league, at a time he otherwise would have been making roughly $600,000 a year, was significant, but the deal looks very good for the Patriots as well.

Consider, that from 2011-2013, Jacksonville's Marcedes Lewis -- a complete non-factor in the struggling team's offense -- made $20.35 million and you get a sense of just how protected the Patriots were with the extension they signed with Gronkowski. Even if Gronkowski returns to New England in 2015 -- and, again, I wouldn't bet on that now -- he will have made about $18 million, well less than Lewis.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...g-ways-in-2015

interesting
    PSD Bulls Mock Trade Deadline
    Chicago Bulls

Rose-Gordon-Deng-Anderson-Asik

vCash
    /thread

There isn't a chance in hell this happens

vCash

Almost guarantee they will restructure the contract prior to releasing him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBrave View Post
    Almost guarantee they will restructure the contract prior to releasing him.
    Gronkowski being released? Are you people sniffing Lysol or something?

vCash
    Lmao, releasing Gronk, lmao

That's all, wow. lmao

vCash
    Only chance this happens is if Gronk's got some serious injury and has play very minimal games between now and the 2015 off-season.

vCash

Gronk has 1 season to show he is healthy enough to deserve the 15 million he is due in 2015. And the sad part is he is most likely gonna gonna miss first half of next year recovering, i definitely see them trying to restructure Gronks contract

vCash
    Won't happen next to TB he's the second best player on the team (when not injured) the only way NE gets rid of him is if they trade him for a late first or second round pick with cash.
    20+ years from now I and others will look back @WMXXX and say remember when Brock Beat The Undertaker? More people will remember his only loss more than those 21 Straight wins.

vCash

#BostonStrong

vCash
    Anyone laughing at this very real possibility obviously doesn't follow the team or understand BB's philosophy in building a team. Is Gronk the most dominant TE in the game right now? No, he was before this injury. At the moment Gronk cannot walk without help. Neither you or I knows how his recovery will go. I do know his body in the past does not respond well to surgeries (You don't have to look any farther back than this summer). Do I think he will be back healthy at some point? Yes. Do I think he can still be dominant? Yes. But at this point, we are far far away from those dates. Too much time and money at stake to make definitive statements right now.

Gronk will not be on the field until late next season. That gives him 8 or less games to prove that he's healthy, has regained his speed, strength and ability to move laterally. That is not a lot of time with this injury.

Will the Patriots try to keep Gronk? Of course. But they are not going to pay a player $15 mil when he's still recovery from a major injury. They will approach him about a restructure, I think he will go along with it, most likely turning his gaurenteed money into perfomance incentives, which he will have every opportunity to earn that money back. But if he doesn't agree, he will be gone.

City of Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Gronk will not be on the field until late next season. That gives him 8 or less games to prove that he's healthy, has regained his speed, strength and ability to move laterally. That is not a lot of time with this injury.
    I guarantee that Gronk will play before Week 8.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RateSports View Post
    I guarantee that Gronk will play before Week 8.
    You're gaurentee means nothing to me.

He just had surgery yesterday, it takes a year to fully comeback, and yes I know Wes Welker was back sooner than 1 year.

However, we are now in the second week of playoffs and he just had surgery. 1 year from now you're looking well past week 8. Even if it takes him 8 months to be cleared for activity, he's still going to need to get back into football shape and strengthen his leg muscles. I'd be shocked if he was back before week 8, especially with a player with an injury history as lengthy as Gronkowski. Not to mention if any complications arise (infection, etc. - see Tom Brady's recovery). If everything goes 100% to plan and he heals amazingly fast, week 8 is still conservative.

City of Champions

vCash
    Honestly the more I think about it this is a likely possibility. Especially dependent on factors of next season though. How well he plays and how healthy he is. Not looking too good as of right now.

They should save him until week 16/17 of the regular season, then unleash him in the playoffs and pray he stays healthy for that stretch. Then in the off-season they can re-evaluate their investment.

Really hope he proves me completely wrong and returns to beast mode. The NFL rules on hitting receivers might change again in favor of protecting offensive players and that could help.