Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Casey Fien???

vCash

Casey Fien???

So ESPN is saying he could close right now! I don't know if I can see it, I was at 20+ games last year and saw him pitch a good amount, but never thought of him as a closer. Is this just smoke or is there merit to what they are saying??

"The Twins have an excellent closer in Glen Perkins, a hometown kid who isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so Fien might be the Twins reliever to target in trade talks. At 30 years old with an average fastball and a nondescript track record, he doesn't look like a closer-in-training, but he certainly pitched like one last year.

His 6.08 K/BB ratio ranked fifth in the majors, just ahead of some guy named Mariano Rivera, and it wasn't just because he was dominating right-handers in a setup role: His K/BB ratio against LHBs was 4.83, better than the mark put up by Jonathan Papelbon, David Robertson and Greg Holland, for instance.

Because Fien leans heavily on a cutter and doesn't have top-shelf velocity, it's easy to write him off as just another generic middle reliever, but pitchers like Rivera and Kenley Jansen should have taught us to not underrate cutter-centric relievers by now. His ability to control the strike zone while getting a lot of swings and misses, against both left-handers and right-handers, makes him an interesting option for a team that is looking for a cheap bullpen upgrade.

The Twins won't give him away, but convincing them to trade a 30-year-old setup man is a better bet than throwing a lot of money at a guy with a bunch of saves on his résumé."
    By David Cameron

vCash
    He had some good numbers in the minors as a closer. He came up and did pretty well at the big league level in low-pressure situations. His workload increased and he was put into some higher pressure situations. He did OK as an 8th-inning guy, so he might be able to close in the bigs.
    If someone needs a closer, I would think he could be their guy. He could bring back a decent return. Or, the Twins could trade Perk and move him into the role.

vCash
    Well that's one year the other people you have named have been putting up good numbers for years they have track records. To speak of him in the same breath as rivera is blasphemous IMO it would be a terrible decision it's just too uncertain that he could do it for years and Perkins has been our best bullpen pitcher for a few years no way should we get rid of him now and give it to a untrustworthy pitcher like fien im sorry it just doesnt make sense to me.
    Last edited by viksalltheway!; 12-23-2013 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    Perkins contract is too team friendly to give him up. His pitching has been very good but if he was making 8-10 million a year I'd be open to moving him regardless of how well he pitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by viksalltheway! View Post
    guys like me would be more like an assistant to the GM

vCash
    For me to be comfortable with moving perkins regardless of what perkins is paid we would need someone we know could get it done. Fien did go through a stretch where he came in and blew leads just doesn't souns right to me.

vCash
    If Perkins made 10+ million a year a mid level (5-8 in the organizational ranking) prospect would be good enough to make the trade. Think big picture. 2014 doesn't mean a whole lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSU Tony View Post
    If Perkins made 10+ million a year a mid level (5-8 in the organizational ranking) prospect would be good enough to make the trade. Think big picture. 2014 doesn't mean a whole lot.
    That's what we said about 2013 too and your missing the point of what i was saying im good with trading perkins as long as we got someone who can be the man and fien isn't he is just not to reliable to be a closer. Either in the trade or FA.

vCash
    If our goal is to have a good closer on a losing team then yes, holding Perkins is best. If the goal is to "find the man" at any position for Perkins, it's not going to happen. Fien has put up very good stats at the major league level. He would be a closing candidate for 15 MLB teams right now. 10 million dollars wouldn't be enough to pay for the difference in production between Perkins and Fien - the money would be better spent elsewhere. Luckily Perkins isn't making 10 million. Having an 8th inning and 9th inning pitching threat is a big value for a team which finds themselves ahead in games. For the Twins - that combo loses it's value. Any time you have something which is more valuable to another team than your team - odds are it's a good time to trade.

vCash
    So we trade our best bullpen pitcher because we are a bad team and he has trade value. With casey fien i seen him pitch and im just not confident he can make that switch i think he will be best at being a set up man that's just my opinion. I know where this is going so im just going to butt out.

vCash
    So we trade our best bullpen pitcher because we are a bad team and he has trade value. With casey fien i seen him pitch and im just not confident he can make that switch i think he will be best at being a set up man that's just my opinion. I know where this is going so im just going to butt out.
    In my opinion, yeah, that's what we do. Right now you're absolutely right Fien is the 8th inning guy. We all have more confidence in Perkins closing than Fien - that's a given. The question is this - "Is the difference in production between Perkins and Fien (maybe 2 blown saves a year?) worth paying the difference in what they make." With what Perkins is making I'm cool keeping him around. If he was making 10 million a year he'd be more valuable traded.

vCash
    Not to start anything but aren't you contradicting yourself with the 8 mil 10 mil argument and maybe fien can do it but let me say this aren't we trying to get better if that's the case shouldn't we keep him and I'm saying this on the basis is that this is talked about a lot and I know we aren't trading him Perkins should be one of our building pieces

vCash
    What I'm trying to explain is that adding good players at the wrong price is just as much of a hindrance to a club's building as refusing to pay for good players.

This isn't backyard baseball where every kid is the same price - spending more on player A means less to spend on player B, C, etc. The cheap Pelfrey contract (in theory) means the money saved can be put elsewhere. This is the Pohlads we're talking about so of course this is only a theory.

vCash
    Alright i agree