7. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, you must also win.

2 28.57%
  • Yes, if you are that good, a bad GM should cancel your MVP

3 42.86%
  • Other

2 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

Insane Stats + MVP

Last night Kevin Love posted Wilt Chamerlain-esque numbers and the Wolves still lost.

In 87/88 Jordan had one of the most impressive statistical season ever. His team only won 50 games and was eliminated in the second round. He, however, won the MVP award.

In 75/76 Kareem led the Lakers to a 40/42 record and the team missed the playoff altogether, but Kareem came away with the MVP award after average about 27 points, 17 rebounds and 5 assists per game. The next season saw them win 53 games but get swept out of the playoffs. Another MVP award for Kareem.

In his rookie season, Wilt's team only posted 49 wins, but he won MVP.

insance = insane

These days, MVP voters not only look at who has the best stats, but who has the best team, something which players seldom have a say in. So my question to you is, if a player averaged what Kevin Love put in last night (45/19/5), but his team missed the playoffs, would you vote for him as the MVP?

Now, this isn't to suggest that Kevin Love is an MVP candidate. He is an all-star and a franchise player, but his shooting has been a little too streaky to warrant an MVP award. But in principle, would you vote for a guy whose stats were head and shoulders above all other players, but whose team was just awful.
    Last edited by JasonJohnHorn; 12-23-2013 at 11:37 PM.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash
    I'd absolutely vote Mvp a player with insane stats in an awful team. And also, in my opinion the general success of the team should not be considered in a Mvp vote,because it's an award to best performing player of the season,not his team. But you have to consider also his advanced stats to judge him(fg% etc)
    Last edited by PurpleLynch; 12-23-2013 at 09:37 AM.

vCash
    Kevin Love does put up some of the craziest video game numbers of this generation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleLynch View Post
    I'd absolutely vote Mvp a player with insane stats in an awful team. And also, in my opinion the general success of the team should not be considered in a Mvp vote,because it's an award to best performing player of the season,not his team. But you have to consider also his advanced stats to judge him(fg% etc)
    There is no written definition if I'm not mistaken. Precedent dictates how the award is given out - and its clear you need to be on a top 3-5 team to even get considered.

vCash
    If there is no written definition than how did Derrick Rose win it?

It's the best player on the best team I always thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisLovechild View Post
    First Tier:
    Calvin Johnson
    AJ Green
    Julio Jones
    Brandon Marshall
    Andre Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Dez Bryant
    Demaryius Thomas
    Michael Crabtree

vCash
    gotta Love Kevin.
    “You can’t worry about things you have no control over.”

"Above and Beyond"

-- Steve Nash

"I don't even care how much I score.
    I just want to win."
    -- Ron Artest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MonroeFAN View Post
    If there is no written definition than how did Derrick Rose win it?

It's the best player on the best team I always thought.
    Rose won because he put up great numbers and led a team that started Keith Bogans and Kurt Thomas a combined 115 games to 62 wins.

Also Lebron and the Heat failed to meet expectations which hurt him in the voting.

Dwight was the alternative statisically but his team wasnt nearly as good as Chicago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    Last night Kevin Love posted Wilt Chamerlain-esque numbers and the Wolves still lost.

In 87/88 Jordan had one of the most impressive statistical season ever. His team only won 50 games and was eliminated in the first round. He, however, won the MVP award.

In 75/76 Kareem led the Lakers to a 40/42 record and the team missed the playoff altogether, but Kareem came away with the MVP award after average about 27 points, 17 rebounds and 5 assists per game. The next season saw them win 53 games but get swept out of the playoffs. Another MVP award for Kareem.

In his rookie season, Wilt's team only posted 49 wins, but he won MVP.

insance = insane

These days, MVP voters not only look at who has the best stats, but who has the best team, something which players seldom have a say in. So my question to you is, if a player averaged what Kevin Love put in last night (45/19/5), but his team missed the playoffs, would you vote for him as the MVP?

Now, this isn't to suggest that Kevin Love is an MVP candidate. He is an all-star and a franchise player, but his shooting has been a little too streaky to warrant an MVP award. But in principle, would you vote for a guy whose stats were head and shoulders above all other players, but whose team was just awful.

Bulls were not eliminated in round 1 in 1988. MJ averaged 45/5/5 on 53% FG in that first round and won the series. They lost in the Semifinals against a superior team who had hca.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Yes if a guy has insane stats on a losing or mediocre team he should get it.

But being truthful it hasn't happened since Jordan that a player on a low seed got it. Not Kobe, not Wade, not Kevin Love currently... none of those are what I would classify as insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Yes if a guy has insane stats on a losing or mediocre team he should get it.

But being truthful it hasn't happened since Jordan that a player on a low seed got it. Not Kobe, not Wade, not Kevin Love currently... none of those are what I would classify as insane.
    Bulls were the #3 seed. That isn't a low seed and it was on a team not expected to even win 35 games.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    You're right, #3 seed isn't low... but then again I can't remember last MVP that was 3 seed or lower either.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    Bulls were not eliminated in round 1 in 1988. MJ averaged 45/5/5 on 53% FG in that first round and won the series. They lost in the Semifinals against a superior team who had hca.
    Sorry... I meant second round. MY bad It has been correct. And by semifinals I assume you mean conference semifinals, and not the actual semifinals which would be the conference finals.
    What the eye doesn't see and the mind doesn't know, doesn't exist.
    Follow me on Twitter and I'll follow back: @JasonJHorn

vCash

Insane Stats + MVP

If they averaged the numbers KLove did, how do you not give it to him? Of course, he's not going to achieve those numbers realistically.

vCash
    Loves numbers are nice. 26, 14, and 4. He has the wolves on his back. He deserves a better team, I hope he comes to la in 2015 so bad, since he's an la product. Then durant the next year, klove and durant
    With that being said, it's pretty much impossible to average 45,19,5 nowadays, but if a player ever did, you gotta give them MVP.

vCash
    Yes I would... But with the "value" in MVP, I think if you are on an average or bad team, your numbers have to be a lot better than a star on a great team. It is hard to say your value was giving your team a worse lottery pick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast