Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Help...Tiebreakers

I hate the NFL.com wording on the tiebreaker procedures. They honestly confuse the hell out of me.

ARZ 10-5
    SF10-4
    NO 10-5
    CAR11-4

Start with the NFC. If ARZ beats SF next week and SF wins tomorrow, both are 11-5. SF gets ahead of them but if NO wins and CAR loses next week, NO wins division and CAR falls to 11-5.
    CAR lost to ARZ so how does CAR still get in over ARZ?

Same with the AFC. If MIA wins next week and BAL loses, MIA is in. However, if they both win and are 9-7, they wait til KC SD plays to determine who gets in. If KC wins, BAL gets in. if SD wins, MIA gets in.

I dont get it.

vCash
    From nfl.com

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
    If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
    Strength of victory.
    Strength of schedule.
    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best net points in conference games.
    Best net points in all games.
    Best net touchdowns in all games.
    Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
    Strength of victory.
    Strength of schedule.
    Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    Best net points in conference games.
    Best net points in all games.
    Best net touchdowns in all games.
    Coin toss

vCash
    I'm probably wrong but I think only 2 teams from each division are allowed to make it. That's why Cardinals will likely miss the playoffs if they are tied with Carolina.

Again I'm probably wrong but that's what I think.

vCash
    no 3 teams are allowed.

vCash
    Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
    Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)

above is the part that is so confusing. wtf does that first line mean?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    I'm probably wrong but I think only 2 teams from each division are allowed to make it. That's why Cardinals will likely miss the playoffs if they are tied with Carolina.

Again I'm probably wrong but that's what I think.
    Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati all made it in 2011, so don't believe so.

vCash
    Panthers do have a better record in their division than Cardinals have in their division. So that could be why they would make it.

vCash

is this english? please someone help.

vCash
    Panthers do have a better record in their division than Cardinals have in their division. So that could be why they would make it.
    ah great point. that explains the NFC.

now wtf is AFC's deal?

BAL and MIA win both are 9-7. why does the SD game matter?

vCash
    oh wait. not divisional record. reason why ARZ gets screwed with CAR or SF is because of their conference record.

vCash
    I don't think record within the division plays a factor among teams that aren't in the same division. It would go right to head-to-head, conference record, etc. in their case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bda28 View Post
    I don't think record within the division plays a factor among teams that aren't in the same division. It would go right to head-to-head, conference record, etc. in their case.
    Yea you're probably right.

vCash
    yes good point^ its due to conference record.

and i think the SD game decides BAL MIA if BAL and MIA win at 1 pm because if SD wins all 3 teams are 9-7 so MIA gets in because of conference record being better than both SD and BAL...but if SD loses then BAL gets in because then SD is 8-8 and BAL and MIA are only teams 9-7 and BAL beat MIA head to head!

FIGURED IT OUT!

thanks guys. mods can closethis now!

vCash

Wrong - Panthers are division winner as of now. That's why they win it
    Done - thank goodness

vCash
    In the event of a Panthers/Niners/Cards tie you can't exclude any using head-to-head because Carolina beat SF, who beat ARZ (and also would beat SF), and ARZ beat CAR. So the #5 seed goes to whoever has the best conference record, which would be Carolina. From there, you start over with the tie-breaking procedure and SF wins due to being 4-2 in the division vs ARZ's 3-3 division record, thus giving them the #6 seed.

I'm guessing the Cards are going to miss playoffs due to the fact that 49ers clinch a playoff spot with a win, and Saints clinch a spot with a win next week, and if all three of them finish 11-5 NO and SF get the nods. Cards need the Saints to lose to the Bucs at home OR the 49ers to lose at home against the Falcons and then they have to beat SF.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast