Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Tank or develop?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do whatever it takes to lose, we want Parker or Wiggins

4 44.44%
  • Teach the team how to compete and win, Develop Trey, Favors, and Hayward into all stars

5 55.56%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

We have a problem.....

We have a problem in Utah, with Trey Burke we are actually fairly good. Not contender good, but definitely able to compete. Some friends of mine got into this debate at work so I thought I would post it here as well. Is it better to tank and get Parker or Wiggins?- Example: See San Antonio when they got Duncan and brought championship after championship after one losing season. Or is it better to establish a winning tradition and develop the players that you have? Example: Look at all the Sacramento's and Charlotte's that all they know how to do is suck even with rosters full of high draft picks. We have Trey Burkes who is looking like the real deal. Favors is playing beast mode, and Alec has found a nitch as a 6th man. I'll post a poll as well just for the heck of it. What do you think, should we tank or try and win as many games to teach our team how to compete and win?

2011 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football Champion!
    2013 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football 2nd Place

vCash
    wiggins+terrible chemistry and awful team<slightly lower pick with overachieving team and further developed core.

no way is anyone in the organization telling burkes to turn the ball over, brick his shots, and throw games. why should we? o yeah, because we have a butt-ton of fans who jokingy think real basketball is their fantasy team.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    you trade marvin for whatever you can get and do the same. it sucks that we might not be bad enough to get a super high pick, but lets be real here we have 2 #3 picks, 2 #9 picks, and a #12. we should be better then someone like the 76ers who only have a couple of recent lotto picks. Also the spurs are a really bad example they got the #1 pick from like the 8th seed and they were only that bad because robinson was hurt. there are plenty of teams that got a can't miss prospect and still aren't very good. I think getting that stud is super important, and our only hope is the draft, but it is really hard to get.

vCash
    I think Dhop hit it on the head. Lets teach our guys how to play hard and win and keep the winning tradition going and hopefully the ping pong balls fall our way

2011 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football Champion!
    2013 Denver Bronco PSD Forum Fantasy Football 2nd Place

vCash
    The great thing, and curse of the NBA is the lottery. We can still be bad, but we don't have to be the worst to get the number 1.
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    Rodney Hood is a good backup plan if Parker and Wiggins are out of reach. But you never know when injuries occur.
    Last edited by futureman; 12-23-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Warriors come out and Ta-ank.

vCash
    Since Trey came back from injury and started for us we have won 40% of our games. If that trend continues we would finish with 29 wins. 29 wins is projected to get you out of the top 5 in this draft. So the plan is to "teach the team how to compete and win, develop Trey, Favors, and Hayward into all stars". This group is supposed to compete with the NBA's best? We have Durrant and Westbrook to compete with for another decade and the plan is to throw Burke and Hayward at them. I love the optimism, but that sounds like ten years of first round playoff exits to me.

Both goals can be accomplished by trading/unloading Marvin Williams. Veteran players having a nice year on this team is a nightmare. I want to see Kanter and Burks play the starter minutes, not stupid Marvin and RJ. Let's throw them in the fire all season for better or worse. If we win, we know the core 5 may work and we don't have to be so desperate for a top pick. If they loose, we get a good pick. Either way we win. But the direction we are currently going is a joke, unless by some miracle the ping pong balls bounce our way. I'm done with relying on luck to solve our problems, it's time to be proactive and make it happen.

vCash
    There are reports out there that the Bobcats are looking for some SG depth to make a push for the playoffs. Maybe we could send them a combo of either Jefferson/Rush or Marv/Rush for Ben Gordon and a pick. Now I know that Marv is not a SG but Rush is and Marv would add quality depth to that team and make the deal work financially. I really would hate to see Marv go but I am with you Magic11 I would rather see our young guys play and I would hate for the Jazz to miss out on a top 3 pick in the draft. My preference would be to send them Jefferson and Rush.

vCash
    You want to rip the heart out of the young guys who are fighting and clawing to win every night even though they are outmatched? Start yanking out some of the guys who are fighting and clawing with them and trading them off for future assets.

These guys have to experience some success from time to time. This team isn't going to beat a lot of playoff teams, but they can beat some of the dregs. Let them. What are they, 8-21 right now?

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    @hotrodhair what the hell are you even talking about!? No one wants to see the young guys hearts ripped out on here that I am aware of so chill man! If you want the team to stay intact the way it currently is for the rest of the season that is your opinion not all of us want that and that is our opinion. Jefferson and Rush will not be on the Jazz next yr so why not trade them now for future assets if possible? I am not a fan of losing but if we r going to have lots of losses this year I am all in for us having enough that gives us the best chance to have the number one pick.

vCash
    He is talking sense. I just don't see why people want to trade Marvin and especially Rush (he has absolutely no value). What are we gonna get in a trade for Marvin? Nobody is gonna trade a decent pick for him. And why is a certainty that he wont be resigned? And how does moving them guarantee that we suddenly won't win anymore?

None of these guys are LeBron James good. There is plenty to choose from in this draft. Would it be nice to have the top pick? Of course, but its not a necessity.

vCash
    That's your opinion JazzNC. Not a fact, sorry to burst your bubble. I like Marv and would be more than happy to have him on our team for years to come. However, we are rebuilding and if a trade involving him brings future assets for our team then I am okay with that as well. Rush and Jefferson will not be back next yr so why not get what we can for them. I am not asking for a lottery pick for either of them but if a deal involving either of them or both could even net us a second round pick I would be all for that as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic11 View Post
    Since Trey came back from injury and started for us we have won 40% of our games. If that trend continues we would finish with 29 wins. 29 wins is projected to get you out of the top 5 in this draft. So the plan is to "teach the team how to compete and win, develop Trey, Favors, and Hayward into all stars". This group is supposed to compete with the NBA's best? We have Durrant and Westbrook to compete with for another decade and the plan is to throw Burke and Hayward at them. I love the optimism, but that sounds like ten years of first round playoff exits to me.

Both goals can be accomplished by trading/unloading Marvin Williams. Veteran players having a nice year on this team is a nightmare. I want to see Kanter and Burks play the starter minutes, not stupid Marvin and RJ. Let's throw them in the fire all season for better or worse. If we win, we know the core 5 may work and we don't have to be so desperate for a top pick. If they loose, we get a good pick. Either way we win. But the direction we are currently going is a joke, unless by some miracle the ping pong balls bounce our way. I'm done with relying on luck to solve our problems, it's time to be proactive and make it happen.
    you're done relying on luck? really? so throw in the season, tell our guys that sucking is ok until we say so as if winning is a switch you can turn on and off, with the snowball's chance in hell that our guys who are supposed to suck will be night-and-day better just because some unproven 19 year old is on the team. sounds like the pure definition of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodsHair View Post
    You want to rip the heart out of the young guys who are fighting and clawing to win every night even though they are outmatched? Start yanking out some of the guys who are fighting and clawing with them and trading them off for future assets.

These guys have to experience some success from time to time. This team isn't going to beat a lot of playoff teams, but they can beat some of the dregs. Let them. What are they, 8-21 right now?
    this. this draft is deep. some here act as if our future is set with one rookie. we have a team full of high draft picks, when is it going to stop? it's like we're supposed to play for picks. we have acquired several high draft picks without completely bombing seasons, we will do so in the future. everyone says 'patience, we need to develop our young guys' but it sounds like going winless the rest of the way is a cheap cop-out, win asap strategy. we won't compete next year. we're only laying the foundation now for future success, no matter what pick we get, and with gs's pick we can still make some noise without teaching our kids how to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeJazzGM View Post
    @hotrodhair what the hell are you even talking about!? No one wants to see the young guys hearts ripped out on here that I am aware of so chill man! If you want the team to stay intact the way it currently is for the rest of the season that is your opinion not all of us want that and that is our opinion. Jefferson and Rush will not be on the Jazz next yr so why not trade them now for future assets if possible? I am not a fan of losing but if we r going to have lots of losses this year I am all in for us having enough that gives us the best chance to have the number one pick.
    so the only way to succeed is to do what you said? you're living up to your handle, 'wannabe.' this is just a move to make a move, which makes no sense for us.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    He is talking sense. I just don't see why people want to trade Marvin and especially Rush (he has absolutely no value). What are we gonna get in a trade for Marvin? Nobody is gonna trade a decent pick for him. And why is a certainty that he wont be resigned? And how does moving them guarantee that we suddenly won't win anymore?

None of these guys are LeBron James good. There is plenty to choose from in this draft. Would it be nice to have the top pick? Of course, but its not a necessity.
    bingo. this draft is hella deep. the draft has been good to us in recent years, there's no reason to think it's going to last. we have tremendous assets with all of the expiring contracts, 2 first rounders... and two of the better gm's and sloan in the fo. we'll be fine. i know everyone wants a win-quick strategy, but we build through smart moves and smart drafts. it's not how high the pick is anyway, it's picking smart.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeJazzGM View Post
    That's your opinion JazzNC. Not a fact, sorry to burst your bubble. I like Marv and would be more than happy to have him on our team for years to come. However, we are rebuilding and if a trade involving him brings future assets for our team then I am okay with that as well. Rush and Jefferson will not be back next yr so why not get what we can for them. I am not asking for a lottery pick for either of them but if a deal involving either of them or both could even net us a second round pick I would be all for that as well.
    bingo, it is jazznc's opinion. and all this hot air you're blowing is bogus. that's my opinion. get over it. what the hell are you arguing anyway? and jefferson+rush=2nd round pick? that's your grand plan? ok, but i think jefferson will outplay any evans-type player you're getting in the 2nd.

have fun in la-la land making goofy trades with your imaginary friends.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Chip you are the God of knowing what is best for the Jazz. It amazes me how many of you guys on this site constantly talk down to people who do not have the same opinion as you and then you guys wonder why none one posts on this site. One cannot have a conversation about the Jazz and express their opinions on here without the greats telling them they are stupid or clueless if their opinion does not align with theirs. Chip I would rather be a wannabe than a know it all jackwagon. So keep telling all of us about how you know all superstar poster!

vCash
    I am also happy to note that several actual NBA GM'S validate my opinion of loosing this year for the sake of a trying to get the top pick is worth it. You on the other had chip seem to react as a fan only instead of seeing it from all sides. But again what do I, the wannabe, know please show me the light alright Chip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast