Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mock Draft and Mock Off-Season Thread

Lets list the players that shouldn't return to the minnesota Vikings next season.

#1 Ponder unless in a backup role
    #2 Chris Cook just watched a stat that QB's has the highest rating of any defensive player in the NFL…zero interceptions for his career need i say more.

#3 Marvin Mitchell unless a back up role but we should be filling that void w/ younger players

#4 Charlie Johnson need to get younger at this position and better also career is done for this guy

other players we can do w/o would be…

Larry Dean special teams player that can't do anything but and isn't a standout in my opinion

Letroy Guion 6th round pick that should be a career backup ok w/ him staying if its as a backup

Fred Evans sames as above except he is just old and should be a backup at best

Mistray Raymond backup that should be able to beat out Sanford but can't even beat out Sendejho

Joe Webb waste of a roster spot. We could keep him if we only have 2 Qb's next year. He is a good special teams player but we should be able to have someone else fill that void.

The needs for this team next year should be the following:

Sign or draft a franchise QB. If they sign one then Matt Cassel should be the backup Ponder 3rd string. If they draft one then Matt Cassel should be the starter and Ponder should be traded/released.

Next most pressing issue should be to either move Erin Henderson back to his normal position and let Audie Cole start at middle linebacker. If Erin is jettisoned they should draft his replacement and let Audie Cole start at MLB. The third options would be to sign someone who is a free agent or trade Ponder for an above average MLB b/c hoping for anything more in return would be unfathomable.

Secondary or lack there of is a big issue. I'd start Rhodes at one corner an Josh Robinson at the other on a make or break year for him Harrison Smith at safety to be paired w/ either a veteran safety that can cover or draft a safety that can play and if he falters in practice and preseason we go back to either sanford or sendejho until he gets acclimated. The Vikings also need to draft at least 2-3 secondary players in next years draft.

D-line could use a clog in the middle to stop the run. If Jared Allen isn't back then Everson Griffen's time has come granted he resigns. Kwill should come back for another season and pair w/ Floyd in the middle.

The rest of the offense is pretty stable besides maybe Loadholt and Fusco. However, Fusco has played at least average for the year and Loadholt unless we can trade him isn't going anywhere. Let me know what you guys think about who should stay and who should go. I didn't mention any of the coaching staff b/c most want them to go so I am just assuming the Wilf's will grant that wish.

vCash
    I say keep Webb as our 3 QB and still use him as WR,,,I am not done with him yet,,,,Let Cassel fight for the starting Qb spot but let it be against another Vet and our No 1 rnd QB we draft, in camp......Sign Allen if the price isn't too bad and other than getting a couple guards draft draft defense the whole draft,,,only draft a guard high if he is going to be the next Hutch,,,if not QB then go D the rest of the way.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coenthar View Post
    I say keep Webb as our 3 QB and still use him as WR,,,I am not done with him yet,,,,Let Cassel fight for the starting Qb spot but let it be against another Vet and our No 1 rnd QB we draft, in camp......Sign Allen if the price isn't too bad and other than getting a couple guards draft draft defense the whole draft,,,only draft a guard high if he is going to be the next Hutch,,,if not QB then go D the rest of the way.....
    I have a feeling we will probably let Webb walk, he is a FA at the end of the year. He hasn't been terrible since we haven't gotten to see him much but we haven't really used his skill set either. I think Allen will probably also go but that will be more his decision than ours. I respect him for wanting to go win a ring since he isn't getting any younger.

vCash
    QB
    Ponder gone
    Cassel backup
    Garoppollo starter (Not on team)

Summary-Hou, Jax, Oak, Cle all pick before us and will take Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles and Manziel. I like the idea of taking a Defensive talent round 1 and picking a QB in round 2 like SF and Cin did. I would target Jimmy Garopollo in round 2, I like his quick release, his accuracy and quick decision making. Good size with Ponder type athleticism. Average arm strength would be his biggest negative.

RB
    AD starter
    Gerhart gone
    Asiata backup
    Felton starting FB

WR
    Jennings starter
    Patterson starter
    Wright backup/slot
    Simpson gone
    Webb gone

Summary -I think Patterson is our future #1 Over-sized WR and is going to have a great career as a Viking. Patterson didn't run nearly enough deep and intermediate routes his rookie year but with a good HC/OC he will run those a little more, most of that is just how raw he still is. Jennings is a great route runner, good catcher, and still good at YAC. A very friendly WR for a rookie QB to target heavily during his learning curve. Wright is a solid WR to have on the roster. Simpson is one of my most hated Vikings, I just don't like his character and want him gone.

TE
    Rudolph starter
    Carlson gone
    Ellison TE2
    Ford TE3

OL
    Kalil starter
    C. Johnson gone
    Sully starter
    Fusco starter
    Loadholt starter
    J. Webb gone
    Love gone
    Berger backup/potential starting LG
    Bond training camp backup shot
    Bacca backup/potential LG

Summary -I heard Fusco has improved so give him one more year at RG, I think Bacca and Berger would both be an upgrade on Johnson. I'd love to see someone at LG I could get excited about.

DL
    K Will gone
    Floyd starter
    Guion gone
    J. Allen gone
    Griffin starter
    Robison starter
    Evans backup
    Baker backup
    L. Nix III (Not on team)

Summary -I'd love to see us draft L. Nix III at 8, I see Vince Wilfork 2.0 in him. Adding a stud NT like this really helps out a defense. He would stuff runs up the middle, push the pocket back on pass downs, and eat up double teams which free's up your LB's and your ends, and Floyd. Just look at what Poe did for KC, and Star did for Carolina.

LB
    Mitchell gone
    E. Henderson gone/backup
    A. Cole starter
    Greenway gone
    Hodges backup/chance to start
    Mauti backup/chance to start

Summary -I want to retool the LB's as you can see from above. Erin is a backup, so is Mitchell. We pay Greenway top 5 LB money and he's not an elite LB. He gets smoked in coverage year after year and this year his tackling and positioning was terrible. I want Cole to get a shot at ILB because PFF liked him in coverage but said is run support needed help. But I think he can improve his tackling with better DT's to free him up, and his coverage skills at LB are more rare and valuable then stopping the run would be. As for SLB and WLB positions I don't have many idea's as far as additions, I have to take a better look at the mid round draft talent at the positions. I wish I saw the Penn St LB's more but that's Frazier's fault for not letting the young guys play in a lost season. For all we know they could be the answer. Also we could give Mack a look if we don't want to go DT or QB round 1.

Secondary
    Rhodes starter
    Robinson backup
    Cook gone
    Prater gone
    Sherels slot CB/PR
    Raymond gone
    Sanford ST ace
    Blanton backup
    H. Smith starter
    Sendejo starter
    Verner starting CB (not on team)

I really want to see Smith and Sendejo start at S together. I loved Sendejo, PFF said he was great at stopping TE's and he is good in run support. Those two give us a pair of potential pro bowl S's, which is really exciting. I think Sanford should just be a gunner on ST's and a backup SS. I think Rhodes had a great rookie year and is an answer for us at one CB position. I really want us to target Verner as a FA. He'd come in as a 25 year old shutdown CB that could give us, IMO, an elite secondary. I think Sherels should get a look at nickel CB, he's jumped a few passes for INT's, has great speed to stay with receivers, and is a + in the PR game.

Coaches -top 3 canidates in order. Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Shaw. I think it will be Jay Gruden to help bring up our young QB. Assuming that happens I like the idea of this staff. HC Gruden, DC Mark Carrier, and OC Chud.
    So I like Chud because he worked with Cam Newton and also ran a decent offense with no QB in Cle where C. Jordan and J. Gordon had big years. I'm not sure if he fits Gruden's scheme but if he did it could be a good hire. The new DC Mark Carrier is a former NFL S who coached the Bengals secondary last year, coached the Jets D line in 2010, and was the Ravens defensive backs coach from (2006-2009) where the secondary generated 93 interceptions during those four seasons -- second-most during that timeframe.
    Last edited by Dayman26; 12-31-2013 at 12:33 AM.

vCash
    Not a bad wishlist for the offseason, I love Verner and if we can snag him that would be huge for our secondary. He is the prize at CB in free agency, if we fail on obtaining him Grimes, Rogers-Cromartie, Ward or Byrd would also be big additions and make our secondary a strength going into next season. There are some decent players available in FA who could help patch up some holes in our team: Matt Slauson - Guard, Greg Hardy - DE, Paul Soliai - DT.

Nix at 8 is a good, solid move but I think we could get Garoppolo at our pick in the 3rd...I am a little worried inserting him in as our day 1 starter though.

I think Gruden will end up being our HC as well when it is all said and done.

I think our record doesn't truly justify the talent we have, Superbowl contenders? Not really but we are definitely a team on the rise who were a few minutes out of being the North champs this year.

vCash
    contract situations will dictate some of this....Webb's only had this year as a WR and is a fantastic athlete..could contribute more next year..but only if he signs cheap.........Asiata may make Gerhardt expendable simply because of money as well.........Cook? could go either way....lol @ 'can't even beat out Sendejo' when Sendejo should be the starter anyway...that is unless Blanton can beat him out since we've only seen him playing out of position at nickel

and Dirk...it's amazing...no matter how many times that guy throws that box, the pizza lands right side up on the roof EVERY TIME! damn he's good
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Just FYI I ran through the off-season in the 2013 small news / players thread if anyone wanted to check that out also.

vCash
    Mauer, I read through your offseason in the small news thread, I'm on the same page with you on a lot of your ideas. I really think we need a strong, big bodied NT to eat up double teams and control the middle. That will open up the lanes for LB's and also draw attention away from our DE's. I'm wondering what you think of starting Sendejo over Sanford. I thought Sendejo outplayed all the other S's this year. I'm also wondering your opinion on Chad Greenway. In 2012 QB's had like 115 QBR throwing in his direction, this year his tackling was bad and he wasn't assignment sound. I really think we should cut him, thoughts on this?

At this point I want to draft Nix rd 1, Garoppolo rd 2 and Grimes or Verner as FA, or Carr rd 1, CB Verrett rd 2, and Starks or Soliai in FA
    Last edited by Dayman26; 01-01-2014 at 07:22 PM.

vCash

Off-Season Mock Thread

Here is something I've seen on other vikings forums, specifically FF. Anyone can participate and I encourage other posters to offer constructive criticism and comments about the mocks that are posted. Here's mine:

With Leslie Frazier gone, the Vikings sign Jay Gruden to become the next head coach in Minneapolis. Most of the previous staff is axed, and Minnesotans celebrate the firing of Alan Williams and Bill Musgrave, arguably the two worst coordinators to ever be employed by the franchise. Recent comments by Priefer make the Wilfs consider replacing him too, but recent success helps him retain his job.

HC- Jay Gruden
    DC- Mark Carrier (former Bengals DB coach)
    OC- Tom Cable (former Seahawks OL coach)
    ST- Priefer

OFFSEASON FREE AGENTS:

Jared Allen: RELEASED
    Kevin Williams: Re-signed at 2 yr/ $8M
    Charlie Johnson: RELEASED
    Matt Cassel: Opts to come back to team. 1 yr/3.7M
    Josh Freeman: RELEASED
    Fred Evans: RELEASED
    Jerome Simpson: RELEASED
    Everson Griffen: Re-signed at 4 yr. 20M
    Chris Cook: RELEASED
    Desmond Bishop: RELEASED
    Toby Gerhart: RELEASED
    Seth Olsen: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    J'Marcus Webb: re-signed at vet. minimum
    Joe Webb: RELEASED
    Marcus Sherels: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    Joe Berger: RELEASED
    Marvin Mitchell: RELEASED
    Larry Dean: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    Matt Asiata: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    Levi Horn: Re-signed at vet. minimum
    Justin Trattou: RELEASED

In light of his second DUI and underperformance, I also believe we cut ties with Erin Henderson. Carlson will not be back either IMO.

In free agency we have a few gaping holes:
    1. QB
    2. CB
    3. LB
    4. OG
    5. SS

Here are some signings I think we make.

Wade Smith OG- Houston Texans 3 yr/$18M

Wade Smith has been one of the few bright spots on an underachieving Texans team this year. He was a 2013 Pro Bowler and known for being great in run-blocking. Now, the reason we pay him 6M per year is because he is going to be 33 by the start of next season, and we pay him more annually rather than adding extra years to the deal.

Walter Thurmond III CB- Seattle Seahawks 2 yr. $6M

The Vikings sign Thurmond and finally get back at the Seahawks for signing every player on our roster that has become a free agent since 2009. Thurmond has played very well on the Seahawks top-ranked pass defense, and has filled in for Browner at times and looked great. The Seahawks have too many other DBs to pay, so Thurm becomes available.

NFL Draft:
    1. Houston Texans- Teddy Bridgewater QB/ UL
    2. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (From STL)- Johnny Manziel QB/ TAMU
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars- Jadeveon Clowney DE/S.CAR
    4. Cleveland Browns- Blake Bortles QB/ UCF
    5. Oakland Raiders- Sammy Watkins WR/Clemson
    6. Atlanta Falcons- Jake Matthews OT/TAMU
    7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Anthony Barr DE/OLB UCLA
    8. St. Louis Rams (From MN)- Mike Evans WR/TAMU
    9. Buffalo Bills- Khalil Mack DE/OLB Buffalo
    10. Detroit Lions- Cyrus Kouandijo OT/Bama

I also think the Rams will take HaHa Clinton-Dix with their other first round pick (13 overall)

This sounds absolutely completely and totally ridiculous, but here is why I have us doing this:
    Rick Spielman knows he needs to put up or shut up this season if he wants to retain his job, and he is going to pick a boom-or-bust player in Johnny Manziel. Could you imagine the excitement around this football team with Johnny at the helm and Jay Gruden teaching him the ropes? Some may say we have more pressing needs on defense, but the QB position is the most important in all of football, and there is no denying that. Do I think this will happen? No, but this is my dream mock so I'm gonna do what I want.

To complete the trade, we give up our first rounder, as well as both thirds and a second round pick next year. It's the price you pay for a guy you want to be your franchise quarterback.

Other picks:

Rd. 2- Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State
    Rd. 4- Daniel McCullers DT Tennessee

I honestly don't know who we will take from there, but I imagine we will target some defenseive backs and reserve offensive linemen, maybe a receiver.

2014 Vikings Starters:

Offense:
    QB: Johnny Manziel
    RB: Adrian Peterson
    FB: Jerome Felton
    WR: Greg Jennings, CP84, Jarius Wright
    TE: Kyle Rudolph
    LT: Matt Kalil
    LG: Wade Smith
    C: John Sullivan
    RG: Brandon Fusco
    RT: Phil Loadholt

Defense:
    LE: Brian Robison
    NT: Letroy Guion/McCullers
    UT: Sharrif Floyd
    RE: Everson Griffen
    LOLB: Chad Greenway
    MLB: Shazier/Mauti
    ROLB: Gerald Hodges
    LCB: Xavier Rhodes
    FS: Harrison Smith
    SS: Jamarca Sanford/ Draft pick
    RCB: Walter Thurmond

K: Blair
    P: Locke
    KR: CP84
    PR: Sherels

Share your thoughts. I know some of this is definitely not gonna happen, so feel free to call me a homer, *******, idiot, anything really.
    Last edited by Phat Pat 94; 01-02-2014 at 08:29 PM.

^Credit to TearsOfPurple^

vCash
    Love Thurmond idea, I like this overall

vCash
    Was a new thread necessary? We already have 2 threads for this type of stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauer.400 View Post
    Was a new thread necessary? We already have 2 threads for this type of stuff.
    Feel free to send me a link to those 2 other threads cause i dont see them. This is a thread for members to post a mock offseason (what they would do in draft, free agency, hiring coaches.) As I said though, direct me to the pre-existing thread.

Also, thanks AP for the insight. Feel free to make your own!

^Credit to TearsOfPurple^

vCash
    Ryan Shazier projects as a weak side linebacker, not so much as a Mike. However, I am all for getting this kid in the 2nd round. If we stick with a 4-3, I'd like to see Cole and Mauti battle it out for the Mike position with Shazier and Greenway manning the weak and strong sides. I can't remember the last time we had a LB with speed who could cover a RB or TE.

“I can’t wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and we’re standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and we’re all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him he’s world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.”
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    I like the plan overall, I would pray that Manziel falls to us so we can hang onto those third rounders. I think you hit nicely on the few Free Agent acquistions too.

My ideal draft scenario still looks like this:

Rd 1. Johnny Manziel QB
    Rd 2. Kyle Van Noy LB
    Rd 3. Louchiez Purifoy CB
    Rd 3. Daniel McCullers DT
    Rd 4. Yawin Smallwood LB
    Rd 5. Dion Bailey S
    Rd 6. Antoine Exum CB

Option B:

Rd 1. CJ Mosley LB (if we end up switching to a 3-4 then grab Mack instead)
    Rd 2. Gabe Jackson G
    Rd 3. Jimmy Garoppolo QB
    Rd 4. Yawin Smallwood LB
    Rd 5. Dion Baily S
    Rd 6. Antoine Exum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRKDIGGGL3R View Post
    I like the plan overall, I would pray that Manziel falls to us so we can hang onto those third rounders. I think you hit nicely on the few Free Agent acquistions too.

My ideal draft scenario still looks like this:

Rd 1. Johnny Manziel QB
    Rd 2. Kyle Van Noy LB
    Rd 3. Louchiez Purifoy CB
    Rd 4. Yawin Smallwood LB
    Rd 5. Dion Bailey S
    Rd 6. Antoine Exum CB

Option B:

Rd 1. CJ Mosley LB (if we end up switching to a 3-4 then grab Mack instead)
    Rd 2. Gabe Jackson G
    Rd 3. Jimmy Garoppolo QB
    Rd 4. Yawin Smallwood LB
    Rd 5. Dion Baily S
    Rd 6. Antoine Exum
    Loving draft option B (Especially if we addressed CB in FA). Glad to see someone else likes McCullers. He could bring to this team what we have been missing since Pat left.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast