Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Which player will be the biggest bust from this offseason?

Here's something interesting to think about:

2013:

Player A: 9 HR's/53 RBI's/92 Runs/52 Steals/.298 AVG
    Player B: 8 HR's/52 RBI's/81 Runs/24 Steals/.273 AVG

Player A: $22 Million/Year
    Player B: $3 Million/Year

Both are 30 years old

Is Player A worth the contract? If you haven't noticed, Player A is Ellsbury and Player B is Gardner, why would the Yankees sign a player similar to Gardner for an extra $20 million per year? an OF of Gardner/Beltran/Soriano would have been fine. With that said, Ellsbury was the most overpaid player of the offseason.

LAKERS
    PACKERS
    DODGERS
    FC BARCELONA
    USC TROJANS

vCash
    http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...yers=4727,9927

Also, there are three outfielders on the field, and the Yanks only had one good one.

Ellsbury was overpaid, but he makes the Yanks better
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Extremely misleading to call Gardner a $3 million/year player when he's going to hit FA and get much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    some people value Ellsbury including what he did in 2011.

Velvet Sky. hottest woman in wrestling

vCash
    I think people are going to be surprised at how good Ellsbury is as a Yankee. YS is a lefty paradise as it is, and we've seen that he has some kind of HR potential. Throw in top of the line speed in all facets, well above average OBP, high batting average, good contact skills, and everything but an elite arm defensively.

The only real issue with Ellsbury is that he's been injured alot. Otherwise the Yankees got one of the best and highest upside players in baseball. He's probably one of the best baseball athletes in the game at any level, and that is going to be a different maker in how he ages vs. alot of other players (the majority actually).

Gardner's a good player. Unfortunately the team that will be paying him next will be paying a shorter, less HR powerful, less defensively (unless Gardner can play CF well, and I don't really recall that he can) and athletically gifted version of Ellsbury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post

2013:

Both are 30 years old

Is Player A worth the contract? If you haven't noticed, Player A is Ellsbury and Player B is Gardner, why would the Yankees sign a player similar to Gardner for an extra $20 million per year? an OF of Gardner/Beltran/Soriano would have been fine. With that said, Ellsbury was the most overpaid player of the offseason.
    You can't really good a look at a player's production by those numbers. What's their wOBA, wRC+, OPS, DRS, UZR/150 of the past few seasons, BsR? A look at the whole picture, rather than strictly offensive numbers, some that aren't good in evaluating hitters, are needed to get a better gauge.

You left out statistics where most of their value lies.

Ellsbury was overpaid, but when healthy (had two freak injuries) he is an extremely valuable player. His hitting is above-average, he has elite speed and creates runs with his legs alone, and plays good defense. Would I have paid him 22M/year to be on my team? No. But he will be more valuable than Gardner I believe as he is the better player.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 12-21-2013 at 04:17 AM.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I think people are going to be surprised at how good Ellsbury is as a Yankee. YS is a lefty paradise as it is, and we've seen that he has some kind of HR potential. Throw in top of the line speed in all facets, well above average OBP, high batting average, good contact skills, and everything but an elite arm defensively.

The only real issue with Ellsbury is that he's been injured alot. Otherwise the Yankees got one of the best and highest upside players in baseball. He's probably one of the best baseball athletes in the game at any level, and that is going to be a different maker in how he ages vs. alot of other players (the majority actually).

Gardner's a good player. Unfortunately the team that will be paying him next will be paying a shorter, less HR powerful, less defensively (unless Gardner can play CF well, and I don't really recall that he can) and athletically gifted version of Ellsbury.
    Not really his fault though. I know you're not calling him injury prone, but he gets a bad rap when he's had two freak injuries.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 12-21-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    Not really his fault though. I know you're not calling him injury prone, but he gets a bad rap when he's had two freak injuries.
    If there is one thing I have learned it is that some people are just more prone to accidents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    If there is one thing I have learned it is that some people are just more prone to accidents.
    Yeah and the Wilpons are walking proof

with regard to the biggest bust however Id say Robinson Cano

can anybody say 24 million for 200 base on balls...... its either that or expand his strike zone and thats never a good sign.... and he'll feel the pressure to earn that big Contract...... who exactly is gonna protect him in that lineup..... Morrison? Hart? Good luck to him
    Last edited by mikepelfrey; 12-21-2013 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepelfrey View Post
    Yeah and the Wilpons are walking proof

with regard to the biggest bust however Id say Robinson Cano

can anybody say 24 million for 200 base on balls...... its either that or expand his strike zone and thats never a good sign.... and he'll feel the pressure to earn that big Contract...... who exactly is gonna protect him in that lineup..... Morrison? Hart? Good luck to him
    Cano hit pretty well last year being protected by the likes of Travis Hafner and Vernon Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Extremely misleading to call Gardner a $3 million/year player when he's going to hit FA and get much more than that.
    Truth. Jacoby made about 12M from his time in Boston.

#BostonStrong

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    I'm in the camp that won't be too surprised when Ellsbury holds up well moving forward. He's a legitimately exciting signing for the Yankees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numba1CHANGsta View Post

2013:

Both are 30 years old

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Brett-Gardner

As pointed out, Gardner's salary is artificially restricted by the MLB's salary rules. He'd get much more than $3 million on the open market.

The interesting thing, to me, is that the Yankees chose to give Ellsbury a long-term contract when they had Gardner. Most people, including myself, are expecting that the Yankees won't commit long term to Gardner.

vCash
    Hata's gon' hate

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Brett-Gardner

As pointed out, Gardner's salary is artificially restricted by the MLB's salary rules. He'd get much more than $3 million on the open market.

The interesting thing, to me, is that the Yankees chose to give Ellsbury a long-term contract when they had Gardner. Most people, including myself, are expecting that the Yankees won't commit long term to Gardner.
    Ellsbury is just plain better and Gardner doesn't even have something like youth or years of control on his side. He'll be a FA a year after Ellsbury and they're the same age (Gardner a couple of weeks older).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast