Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Carlisle points out that Casey changed the culture in Toronto

Gone are the soft Raptors, and credit where credit is due, most of the credit goes to the much-maligned head coach of the team. MU has definitely contributed in his short time as GM too with shrewd pickups that suit the style the coaching staff wants to play. It's worth it to remind ourselves how substantial the change has been with this team over the past few seasons. Other clubs prepare for an entirely different team now.

DALLAS -- When Dwane Casey was last an assistant coach with the Dallas Mavericks, he was dubbed the team's defensive coordinator when they captured the 2011 NBA title.

Shortly after that, Casey became the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors. And now the Raptors are best known for being bulldogs on defense -- thanks in large part to Casey's valuable influence.

"He’s had a massive impact on their defense,'' coach Rick Carlisle said. "When he went there they were one of the worst defensive teams in the league, and they’ve made the greatest gains defensively over that period of time of any team in the league.

"It was a total culture change, a needed culture change. They’ve done it.''

And how in particular did the Raptors turn up the defensive juices? Through shrewd trades, crafty draft picks and several teachings from Casey, whose team is 10th in the NBA in fewest points allowed at 98.6 per game.

"Now they’ve got a roster of energetic, athletic, hard-playing, tough, young players,'' Carlisle said. "They’ve got a team similar to Memphis in that they really go after the ball, they rip at it, they’re slashers, they’re very fast and dynamic.

"He’s done a great job with it. He's done a great job there.''

-- Dwain Price
    Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...#storylink=cpy

vCash
    How he ever got good/great defense on a team that played mainly Calderon, DeRozan, Bargs, Gray, Kleiza, etc is still a mystery to me..

vCash
    That's why I think He would make a great defensive coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    If only there were more coaches that were willing to step down as head coach and stay with the same organization. It would have been cool to see a combo of Triano and Casey as coordinators under a HC with some real experience.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    If only there were more coaches that were willing to step down as head coach and stay with the same organization. It would have been cool to see a combo of Triano and Casey as coordinators under a HC with some real experience.
    True. Triano did some great offensive work. Remember how frustrated people were with the style of play and the poor D?

vCash
    Unfortunately we are all human and we have our egos. Most people won't handle demotion well. But if you have a coach like JVG with casey and triano as assistants would be great for any team.

vCash
    Unfortunately we are all human and we have our egos. Most people won't handle demotion well. But if you have a coach like JVG with casey and triano as assistants would be great for any team.
    Interesting that Carlisle sees Casey as having done a great job in a bigger sense. Changing a culture is no easy feat. Remind yourself how frustrating it was to watch blow bys on a regular basis, and watch players that people constantly criticized for not caring.

I can see Casey's shortcomings like the next guy but look at the improvement in Kyle Lowry. People speculate that Kyle hates the coach but hasn't anyone ever had a coach they butted heads with and at the same time were learning a ton from? I think that's exactly the situation with Lowry. He's not turning over the ball as much as he did at the beginning, he's not taking reckless risks defending, he's moving the ball better. The improvement may not be dramatic but it's pretty noticeable, especially when you consider the difficulty other, more respected coaches have had with him. And I think you have to credit some of DDs noticeable growth to the coaching staff. Even JVs restricted minutes have been sensible when you consider the mistakes he still makes. That doesn't excuse the awful gaffes Casey makes in game, but there are other ways a coach like this can improve a team and improve their approach. He's actually getting through on fundamental levels where others have not been able to. He has actually changed the team but we don't really talk about that. It's just ironic that this came out this morning, since last night I was saying this to Pulzar in another thread.

vCash
    I call bs he did nothing for us we still suck just like we did when he got here. He is one of the worst coaches in the NBA i cant even count how many times we lost a game just because of him. He gives certain players the green light to chuck up as many shots as they want, and he doesn't develop our young guys. I gave him a pas when our defense was bad at first when he had Bargs and Jose now they are gone and we still suck. He does the same **** he did in Minnesota and got fired for, the guy is pure garbage.

vCash
    Casey had contributed in some respects to our improved culture. He does try hard and is a motivator. He is limited though.

I really see this a Carlisle preparing to lobby for Casey's return next season. They did ask last summer if DC would be retaining his head coaching job. They would like to have him back into the defensive coach role because Carlisle is so horrendous with people. That's all I'm reading out of his comments.

vCash
    I agree that we do play tougher and we have more hard workers on this team now (mostly on the players but Casey is a pusher). He's a 'motivator' type coach and sucks at X and O on offense but good defensively. That won't cut it in the NBA though (unless you have a star like Lebron).

I have always said Casey's potential as a HC is Mike Brown just because they both suck offensively so badly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    True. Triano did some great offensive work. Remember how frustrated people were with the style of play and the poor D?
    We did a full 180. Now we are all frustrated about our offense.

I do think though that Casey has been able to do more with the roster than Triano has overall. Both suck on the opposite end of the floor, but Casey is more of a leader than Triano and probably gets more respect from his players than Triano did.

vCash
    Yea, that is his best role unfortunately. Casey has a bit of an ego and tries to go with his guys, even if that is not the best case in the game. As an assistant coach, he can completely focus on the defense, still push the guys, yet he's not the ones making the big decisions on the court like who's on the floor and make the offensive plays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    Casey had contributed in some respects to our improved culture. He does try hard and is a motivator. He is limited though.

I really see this a Carlisle preparing to lobby for Casey's return next season. They did ask last summer if DC would be retaining his head coaching job. They would like to have him back into the defensive coach role because Carlisle is so horrendous with people. That's all I'm reading out of his comments.
    I'm reading them as he said them. He has changed the culture, that is a fact. He also has more respect from colleagues than he is given credit for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    We did a full 180. Now we are all frustrated about our offense.

I do think though that Casey has been able to do more with the roster than Triano has overall. Both suck on the opposite end of the floor, but Casey is more of a leader than Triano and probably gets more respect from his players than Triano did.
    That to me is BCs biggest downfall. He gets in a direction , proves it doesn't work, and then over compensates. We saw it throughout the years going from all shooters to all athletic with no shots. I hope he sees the error of his ways and just looks for complete players/coaches wherever he may wind up. And yes, I hope Masai trades with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I'm reading them as he said them. He has changed the culture, that is a fact. He also has more respect from colleagues than he is given credit for.
    I'm not sure his colleagues would rate him any higher than I would as an NbA coach. They may like him as a person, and like working with him... But doubt ANYONE in the nba puts him in the top 20 coaches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast