Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

How bad really are our safeties?

So just how bad are our safeties?

I know interceptions aren't a true judge of how good a safety is, but it certainly helps. So if they aren't intercepting passes, they must be awesome against the run then right? Lol. I just hope Morgan Burnett can play next year at a higher level than what he is now. I personally think he can, but I think he needs someone with some talent next to him to help pick up the slack.

We have given up a whopping 55 plays of more than 20 yards.

We are going to break our team record of missed tackles, with our safeties and ILB's leading the way.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...236673691.html
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    Think there's too much on Burnett's plate. Get him help and he looks a lot better.

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    Well....by the eye test....
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Think there's too much on Burnett's plate. Get him help and he looks a lot better.
    They are as good as our pass rush.

vCash
    Not one team is afraid of any of our safeties making a crushing hit or a pick, that's what we need.

vCash
    The crushing hit thing is so overrated in my mind. We need a guy who actually cover someone and is a sound tackler much more than a big hitter. I think Burnett can be a decent starter, but I don't think he's capable of being a top safety. He's ideally playing next to an impact safety like a nick Collins type.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    The crushing hit thing is so overrated in my mind. We need a guy who actually cover someone and is a sound tackler much more than a big hitter. I think Burnett can be a decent starter, but I don't think he's capable of being a top safety. He's ideally playing next to an impact safety like a nick Collins type.
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Burnett shows flashes of big potential, but is left hanging a lot of the time. I think Sean Richardson might have some potential as well, but hes not going to be a top level player. Hopefully we start to see more of him rather than Jennings, who is awful. Richardson has had some nice tackles at the LOS the past few weeks and hasn't really made any huge errors that I can think of.

Tackling is a huge weakness on this team, with the safety play being a huge part of that. Opening post also cited ILB play contributing to that, so I'm hoping to see these two positions as the number 1 and 2 priorities this offseason. Problem is there is a bunch of uncertainty about the DL situation due to all the free agents we have this year, so Thompson will likely look there first.

vCash
    I don't mind Richardson, but ideally he's our third safety. He's a solid backup type who probably shouldn't be starting. He would have to make incredible bounds for me to be comfortable with hi and Burnett as the starters next year.

I do agree that ilb and safety are my two biggest needs. Something that trogavac said the other day really stuck with me. He was talking about Rajis impact in the team. He was saying that raji was actually play pretty well despite his stats ( not positive I agree but that's a different story). He was saying that in his defensive system, the most important thing that the dl can do is control there assigned gap. They arent supposed to be trying to guess where the run is going and shooting that gap. They need to shoot their assigned gap, try to get push, and basically make sure he run doesn't come through their hole. That gives the ilb less gaps to be responsible for, and is supposed to free them up to run around and make plays. Our ilbs don't make plays.

One play in particular stood out to me when I was watching a replay of the Dallas game. It was a first half run. Murray got the ball and ran right. The defensive line appeared to maintain their gaps, and Murray ran behind the right tackle (can't remember exactly if it was between tackle and guard or tackle and te, but either way, it doesn't matter). Hawk flowed, and forced Murray back, not a major cutback, but hawk played the outside shoulder of the blocker. Brad jones flowed to the play unblocked, but was a split second too late, and could only basically get an arm on Murray's thigh, which isn't enough to being him down. Murray runs for like 10+ yards. That's our defense in a nutshell. If I'm a betting man, I'd guess that's exactly how capers teaches that play. You get an ilb who's running free and unblocked, but he can't make a play he should have made.

Therein lies the problem with this defense. We don't have enough playmakers to overcome our mistakes. Almost everyone needs to be perfect to be successful. Let's for a second switch our ilbs with San Fran's. Willis can be hawk and bowman can be jones. Odds are, bowman isn't late like jones was there. And if he is, Willis is enough of a playmaker, that he can possibly blow that block up and either make the tackle himself, or force Murray to break stride, and bowman being a split second late allows him to still make that play. We don't have enough playmakers anywhere on the field to make up for those mistakes.

And I'm not just saying we need an impact ilb. An impact player just about anywhere on that play helps. A better nt forces Murray to stretch the play more horizontally initially, so Murray is later to the hole and jones is on time. A better play side de makes the guard that reaches hawk combo block on him, which either allows hawk to make the play or tightens the hole, so Murray may have to slow down just enough to make the cut, so jones is on time. A Troy polamalu type of safety will fly up faster than ours and make the play for a 4-5 yard gain instead of a 10 yard gain. A shutdown corner allows you to play a safety in the box. While I agree safety and ilb are the biggest need, I think this defense would benefit by getting a great player just about anywhere.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 12-21-2013 at 11:17 AM.

vCash
    I think our safety position sucking this bad could and should have been avoided. The Packers have been presented with opportunity after opportunity to upgrade the position and declined to do so. We all knew after last season how bad this position was, and yet nothing got done about it. McMillan was going to be the answer, yet he didn't show anything last year at all, and me, myself don't claim to be a pro scout, but could tell instantly he wasn't going to be that good. The very first time I saw him, I thought he looked too stiff and his hips weren't fluid.

The biggest mistake made by the organization was overestimating the value of M.D. Jennings. Certainly, there’s nothing wrong in being optimistic that he'd develop into aquality player, but the Packers clearly had no backup plan in case he and McMillan didn’t. They could have quite frankly kept Woodson around. They could have signed a seasoned vet, yes I chuckled when typing it too.

So they relied on those two, even though neither showed that much promise. Then failed to draft one. So Two of the better safeties still available after the draft––Tony Jefferson and Rontez Miles––are now on the respective 53-man rosters of the Arizona Cardinals and New York Jets. It really didn't take much to sign either guy. Then still after all that they supposedly called Kerry Rhodes but not much of a real attempt was made to sign him. Gay or not, and I honestly don't care, but some top brass may. He would still be a better option than what they have.

This failure is on Thompson and the personnel department in Green Bay, one mistake, exacerbated by another and yet another. The result is the shoddy defense you see on Sundays. There is only so much blame for Dom Capers. At the end of the day, he can't make the tackles and at times I think his players have been in positions to make plays but they just didn't.

Now this next draft doesn't look real solid at that position. What happens, do we take a flier? Not address it? Seriously I'm concerned.
    NFC Here we come!

vCash
    Kinda sounds like the coaching staff think Hyde can make the transition to safety pretty easily and be good at it. I've been impressed with Richardson as well. I still like Burnett and think he can still be a good safety if he has a competent safety playing next to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese12 View Post
    Kinda sounds like the coaching staff think Hyde can make the transition to safety pretty easily and be good at it. I've been impressed with Richardson as well. I still like Burnett and think he can still be a good safety if he has a competent safety playing next to him.
    Saw that article about Hyde. I wouldn't have a problem with him attempting the move, especially if Hayward is healthy next year at CB. Hopefully his hamstring isn't a long term issue. But as cooters22 said, they need to have a backup plan at safety. Plus, if Hyde keeps returning punts and kicks injury is a real possibility. There's no guarantee a position switch pans out, so I would still hope to see an offseason addition through the draft or FA (hah!).

It also concerns me that we haven't locked up Shields yet, he is a player we must bring back in my opinion.

vCash
    let's be honest, the "coaching staff" thinks everyone on this team is interchangeable at all positions

they'll never be impressed with external talent outside of the draft

take it with a grain of salt really

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tru_m.a.c. View Post
    let's be honest, the "coaching staff" thinks everyone on this team is interchangeable at all positions

they'll never be impressed with external talent outside of the draft

take it with a grain of salt really
    Eh i get what you are saying but they specifically said Hyde could move to safety. They didn't say someone like Hayward could be moved there. I also have seen a few people say in here that they think Hyde should be a safety.

vCash
    Eh i get what you are saying but they specifically said Hyde could move to safety. They didn't say someone like Hayward could be moved there. I also have seen a few people say in here that they think Hyde should be a safety.
    I think he could. But I think that only because our current safety situation is horrendous.

I think he's a real ball player.

vCash
    Micah actually started the transition to Safety in college he started out the season last year as the safety and kind of went back and forth. He also was being tested as a safety as the combine so I think he could make the switch without too much problems
    HaHa Clinton-Dix

Solo Tackles: 3
    Assist Tackles: 3
    Sacks: 1
    Pass Deflects: 1
    Ints:
    TDs:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast