Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Multiple Teams Interested In Mariners Nick Franklin

The Mariners have a "strong" trade market for Nick Franklin, as several teams have shown interest in the young second baseman, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal and Jon Morosi report (Twitter link). Franklin went from being Seattle's second baseman of the future to an obvious trade candidate following the team's signing of Robinson Cano, and given his pedigree, it's no surprise that teams are looking to acquire a promising, controllable talent.

Franklin, 22, was taken by the Mariners with the 27th overall pick of the 2009 draft and he entered the season ranked as the 47th-best prospect in the game by MLB.com and as the 79th-best by Baseball America. The 2013 Baseball America Prospect Handbook ranked Franklin as the fifth-best prospect in Seattle's system, saying "he profiles as a solid regular who could play in a few All-Star Games." Franklin hit .287/.360/.459 with 46 homers and 63 steals (out of 81 chances) over 1756 minor league PA, and then hit .225/.303/.382 with 12 homers in 412 PA with the Mariners in 2013, his first taste of Major League action.

Since Franklin has a lot of minor league experience at shortstop, the M's could also make him Cano's double play partner and shop incumbent shortstop Brad Miller instead. Miller, however, actually outhit Franklin in both the majors and the minors and (while he isn't a great defender) is better suited to shortstop than Franklin, so Miller could have more value to the Mariners going forward.

With Cano, Omar Infante and even secondary options like Kelly Johnson, Mark Ellis and Brian Roberts off the board, teams looking for second base help have precious little left on the free agent market. The Blue Jays stand out as a would-be contender with a hole at second base, while teams like the Braves and Mets could have a need for a promising young second baseman if they move their current keystone position stalwarts (Dan Uggla and Daniel Murphy, respectively) who have been rumored to be on the trade market themselves.
    multiple teams interested.
    discuss.

Velvet Sky. hottest woman in wrestling

vCash
    I'd rather have Ackley.

vCash
    Yanks?
    Be $wavy

vCash
    I think the Mariners would be nuts to deal Miller, so Franklin probably makes more sense to deal. I like him more at SS than 2B. He and Owings are SS I really want to deal for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slaker619 View Post
    Yanks?
    Doubt it since they already have Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts

vCash
    Anyone got some bullpen help and maybe a backup catcher?

vCash
    Franklin would potentially be a big upgrade over Kelly Johnson or Brian Roberts. I say potentially for now because he only has 1 part season in the majors. but based on what he did in the minors, a big upgrade over names mentioned.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...holas-Franklin
    minor league career - 394/1545 - .287/.360/.459/.819
    he was one of the Mariners top prospects, and he is only 22 years old.

maybe a comparable player to Dustin Pedroia?
    I don't know what he's like on defense.

vCash
    Franklin's a very good player, would be a good fit on any team. Going to be interesting to see who gets him.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 39-49, games this week vs. White Sox (4), Rays (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ztilzer31 View Post
    Anyone got some bullpen help and maybe a backup catcher?
    How about an outfielder? Selling Franklin off for one (or both for that matter) is robbery for whomever gets him.

I don't see him as a GREAT player but I think he can be a solid regular with upside to be an all star once or twice. You can't trade that away for peanuts.

vCash
    Orioles get Nick Franklin
    Mariners get Brian Matusz and Zach Britton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    Orioles get Nick Franklin
    Mariners get Brian Matusz and Zach Britton
    Meh.

Yankees get Nick Franklin

Mariners get Brett Gardner

vCash
    I think Franklin fits best where there is an opening at SS. He has a strong arm that seems wasted at 2B. He has enough range I think to man SS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Meh.

Yankees get Nick Franklin

Mariners get Brett Gardner
    this is what I was thinking at first. but Gardner only has 1 year left on his contract before he becomes a free agent. so I wouldn't do that if I was the Mariners, unless they could try and work out a contract extension with Gardner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I think Franklin fits best where there is an opening at SS. He has a strong arm that seems wasted at 2B. He has enough range I think to man SS.
    I have seen a lot of scouts say he's no SS and doesn't have the range. He's probably an above average 2B

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    this is what I was thinking at first. but Gardner only has 1 year left on his contract before he becomes a free agent. so I wouldn't do that if I was the Mariners, unless they could try and work out a contract extension with Gardner.
    Yeah. I'd definitely consider passing unless Gardner is willing to sign an extension.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    I have seen a lot of scouts say he's no SS and doesn't have the range. He's probably an above average 2B
    I think he can handle it.

Extremely SSS and all, but he had better defensive numbers at SS than 2B.

2B: 0 DRS, -9.6 UZR/150
    SS: 3 DRS, 78.5 UZR/150(I know very SSS lol)

I think that he's no worse than below average at SS, which is acceptable. A strong arm can make up for some range.

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/video?content_id=30791009
    http://mlb.mlb.com/r/video?content_id=30792381

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast