Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Sox to sign Downs

White Sox To Sign Scott Downs
    By Steve Adams [December 19 at 11:04am CST]
    The White Sox are in agreement on a one-year, $4MM contract (pending a physical) with free agent left-hander Scott Downs, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links). Downs' deal contains a vesting option that could bring the deal to two years and roughly $8MM, he adds. According to Rosenthal, the option will vest if Downs pitches a normal workload.

The 37-year-old Downs posted a 2.49 ERA with 7.7 K/9, 3.9 BB/9 and a 64.3 percent ground-ball rate in 43 1/3 innings between the Angels and Braves in 2013. This past season represented the final year of a three-year, $15MM pact between the Angels and Downs. The Halos traded him to Atlanta in July in exchange for right-hander Cory Rasmus.

Though Downs was typically strong against both right- and left-handed hitters into his mid-30s, he's developed a notable platoon split over the past two seasons. From 2012-13, right-handed batters have hit Downs at a .285/.371/.416 clip.

The White Sox have seen their bullpen depth depleted greatly over the past six months. The team traded Matt Thornton to the Red Sox in July and saw him sign with the Yankees as a free agent. Jesse Crain was traded to the Rays and is now a free agent, and they also traded closer Addison Reed to the Diamondbacks in exchange for top third base prospect Matt Davidson.

Rosenthal's colleague, Jon Paul Morosi, reported earlier this morning that the two sides were nearing a deal.
    "She's kinda cute, in a Santa Claus kinda way!"

vCash

Sox to sign Downs

I'm fine with the deal. Needed a LHP in the pen.

vCash
    God I hope they address the catchers position!
    "She's kinda cute, in a Santa Claus kinda way!"

vCash

Sox to sign Downs

Everything but so far...not complaining, just saying
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    I like it. If they can get a young catcher we can compete in '15. I trust Hahn and what he could do minus Dunn contract.

vCash
    Things are definitely looking up...if we are talking '15, then that #3 could be a big piece of the puzzle.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    I think we will be respectable in '14..........seems the right pieces are falling in place.

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coconut View Post
    I think we will be respectable in '14..........seems the right pieces are falling in place.
    Assuming our d plays better I simply cannot see us finishing like last year. I can see 80 wins. And w continued right moves, which I trust in Hahn, we can compete in '15.

vCash
    Like the move. Looks like the bullpen even with the trade of Reed will still be respectful.

vCash
    That is why I felt the house cleaning of big contracts was the right move in a season going no where after June.

This has allowed us to free up money to get a new team built around Garcia on the batting side and Sale on the pitching side that can compete by 2015.