Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Choo turns down 7/140mill from Yankees AFTER Ellsbury signing

Looks like Boras saved the Yanks from a future long term headache. Can't imagine Choo getting more than 7/$140,000,000

Link to Article

Superagent Scott Boras does some of his finest work in the latter stages of free agency. And in the case of Shin-Soo Choo, he faces yet another challenge in a career built on slaying them: find Choo a contract for the $140 million the New York Yankees offered him even after they signed Jacoby Ellsbury.

vCash
    7/140?? For Choo? Holy jesus thank god Boras decided to show how big of a tool he is and turn it down.

I would have blew a gasket it that signing happened. Choo will never be worth that contract.
    New York Yankees
    FC Bayern Munchen

Bundesliga: Wins- 25 / Draw- 3 / Loss- 2
    DFB-Pokal-Wins- 5 / Loss- 0 Finals vs Borussia Dortmund
    Champions League- Semi-Finals vs. Real Madrid.

1st Leg- April 23rd in Madrid.
    2nd Leg- April 29th in Munich.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees90. View Post
    7/140?? For Choo? Holy jesus thank god Boras decided to show how big of a tool he is and turn it down.

I would have blew a gasket it that signing happened. Choo will never be worth that contract.
    Well, Ellsbury won't live up to his either. But I agree. Glad it was avoided.

We remember...

vCash
    Honestly who has more value to THIS team as constructed over the next 2 years... Beltran or Choo?

vCash
    The Yankee's off season is confusing the **** out of me.

vCash
    Yankees are lucky he turned that one down Boras made a blunder.

Quote Originally Posted by ztilzer31 View Post
    The Yankee's off season is confusing the **** out of me.
    What do you mean? they needed a Catcher they got one and they needed OF help which they got.
    Last edited by NateyB24; 12-18-2013 at 01:09 PM.

vCash
    I'd imagine they have no plan to stick with the 189. Seems they are just posturing to save a little money on other players? That's my guess. Even if they didn't have any intention of sticking under that number, shouldn't they be going after some pitching?

vCash
    To this point in the offseason, the only position the Yankees clearly upgraded was at catcher.

Ellsbury's skill set is really a wash replacing Brett Gardner, only it cost 7 years and $150+ million. They replaced Granderson's gold glove defense and 40 homeruns with Beltran's mediocre defence and what, 18-20 hr's? Downgrade. Then they obviously have Soriano and Gardner in left. What do you do with Ichiro and Wells?

They still drastically need starting pitching, and have severley downgraded at 2nd and 3rd base. I honestly think, looking at them from a baseball fan perspective, that they were a better team last year with Cano than how they sit right now with Mccann. Tankaka might make them a 3rd place team replacing Pettite, but he can end up anywhere... and obviously Mo Rivera is irreplaceble.

Signing a plethera of outfielders really is mind boggling, that's there last need if you ask me. Meh they'll scrape and claw for a wild card spot but I still don't see it unless they land Tanaka and a Garza/E. Santana type.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar

French Canadian Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    I find it a little hard to believe, but I rest assure that everything I read in the news is true.

vCash
    After Ellsbury but before Beltran. Important distinction to point out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    After Ellsbury but before Beltran. Important distinction to point out.
    Exactly what I was going to post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Sox Fan View Post
    To this point in the offseason, the only position the Yankees clearly upgraded was at catcher.

Ellsbury's skill set is really a wash replacing Brett Gardner, only it cost 7 years and $150+ million. They replaced Granderson's gold glove defense and 40 homeruns with Beltran's mediocre defence and what, 18-20 hr's? Downgrade. Then they obviously have Soriano and Gardner in left. What do you do with Ichiro and Wells?

They still drastically need starting pitching, and have severley downgraded at 2nd and 3rd base. I honestly think, looking at them from a baseball fan perspective, that they were a better team last year with Cano than how they sit right now with Mccann. Tankaka might make them a 3rd place team replacing Pettite, but he can end up anywhere... and obviously Mo Rivera is irreplaceble.

Signing a plethera of outfielders really is mind boggling, that's there last need if you ask me. Meh they'll scrape and claw for a wild card spot but I still don't see it unless they land Tanaka and a Garza/E. Santana type.
    Granderson's gold glove defense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    I'd imagine they have no plan to stick with the 189. Seems they are just posturing to save a little money on other players? That's my guess. Even if they didn't have any intention of sticking under that number, shouldn't they be going after some pitching?
    They are probably waiting on Tanaka to see if he gets posted or not.

vCash
    Who thought Choo would get a 100M contract before the 2013 season? He was a candidate to get a better deal than Swisher and perhaps somewhere near Either. It's like the 2013 season added another 60M on his deal.

vCash
    I HIGHLY DOUBT Choo is going to get a contract that exceeds 140 million. A few months back, everyone was tabbing it to be a 100 mill contract, then somewhere along the line, the 140 million number was floated around. No numbhers haver been mentioned of him going for more than that, abnd these numbers are all speculative and in almost every instance never get to the mentioned level (Cano wanted 310 mill, remember?) If the Yanks "offered" 7/140 mill and Choo didn't take it, then the Yankees NEVER ACTUALLY OFFERED 7 YR 140 MILL.

Simple as that. I'm not saying the Yankees never offered a contract, but Choo and Boras would not have turned 140 million down. He simply is not a 140 mill player.

This sounds to me like someone is leaking false info on purpose. Maybe Boras is trying to make it looks like a deal to an MLB if someone gets him for 120 or 130 million because teams are only offering figures in the 100 million ballpark now and he is trying to make the most of it.

Houston could sign him for 120 mill and say "hey, we got him for $20 million less than the Yanks offered!" Thinking they got him at a bargain when really, the 140 million figure was never offered and the Yanks and Rangers are sitting at 5 years 100 right now.

Just saying.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast