Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Angels Sign Raul Ibanez 1 year 2.75M

The Angels and Raul Ibanez are in agreement on a one-year, $2.75MM contract that contains additional incentives, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. Ibanez can earn up to $5MM total, Heyman adds (Twitter links). Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish first reported that the two sides were close (on Twitter), and Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register first tweeted the one-year, $2.75MM guarantee.

The 41-year-old Ibanez turned back the clock with a surprising 29-homer campaign with the Mariners last year. Ibanez slashed .242/.306/.487 and hit lefties equally as well as he hit right-handed pitching. However, the Mariners gave Ibanez a surprising 832 innings in the outfield, where his glove was poor enough for Fangraphs to grade him as a replacement-level player and Baseball-Reference to peg him at a mere 0.4 WAR despite his power.

In that sense, Anaheim is a logical fit, as they don't need to play Ibanez in the outfield given the presence of Josh Hamilton, Mike Trout, Kole Calhoun and J.B. Shuck. Ibanez figures to receive the lion's share of at-bats as the Halos' DH and should replace some of the power lost in the trade that sent Mark Trumbo to the Diamondbacks.

As Fletcher points out (on Twitter), this move places the Angels within roughly $15MM of the $189MM luxury tax threshold, but that doesn't figure to stop the team from pursuing Matt Garza or Masahiro Tanaka (in the event that he is posted).
    Ibanez isn't very good. The one plus is he should play the field which will add value. 1 year 2.75M with 2.25M in incentives isn't bad.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    Our lineup appears to be complete

CF Trout
    RF Calhoun
    1B Pujols
    LF Hamilton
    2B Kendrick
    3B Freese
    DH Ibanez
    C Conger/Iannetta
    SS Aybar

I think we hope Ibanez has a .320 OBP and .450 SLG. Not great, but better than anything we have. There also isn't much on the free agent market
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post

CF Trout
    RF Calhoun
    1B Pujols
    LF Hamilton
    2B Kendrick
    3B Freese
    DH Ibanez
    C Conger/Iannetta
    SS Aybar

I think we hope Ibanez has a .320 OBP and .450 SLG. Not great, but better than anything we have. There also isn't much on the free agent market
    Read the other day that Scioscia does not plan to move Trout from the second spot in the lineup.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they consistently are.

-Stork

vCash
    Yeah, why would we want to give the guy with the best bat and fastest legs on the team the most PA?

Anyway, this is meh. I just hope he does better than a .306 OBP. That's brutal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Yeah, why would we want to give the guy with the best bat and fastest legs on the team the most PA?

Anyway, this is meh. I just hope he does better than a .306 OBP. That's brutal.
    Its good value. Higher OPS than Trumbo last year in a non favorabe home park with a meh lineup surronding him. ( which does make you wonder soem about the OBP.) But as a one year stop gap unitl Cron or something else comes along to be full time DH.

He's also "clutch and gritty" so Sosh will love him.
    Angels:
    Lakers:
    Rams:ray:
    OSU Beavers (Baseball):

vCash
    I assume his higher OPS is because of the power, and his 7 or so extra points of OBP. If he's essentially an old Trumbo then it's still a net gain for us with the players we got back for trading him, but it's still a meh signing. He'll probably hit higher in the order than he should, because homers, but he's going to make a lot of outs in the process.

vCash
    I assume his higher OPS is because of the power, and his 7 or so extra points of OBP. If he's essentially an old Trumbo then it's still a net gain for us with the players we got back for trading him, but it's still a meh signing. He'll probably hit higher in the order than he should, because homers, but he's going to make a lot of outs in the process.
    Unless he goes on some type of hot streak or Howie and Freese struggle, I can't see him hitting any higher than sixth. I think it's a decent signing. There wasn't anything much better on the market for this price and it's a pretty low risk deal. As long as he never is in the outfield, I am happy.

vCash
    For the price and the years it doesn't seem like a bad pick up but he was awful after the all star break 177 AB only 5 hrs batted .206 /.345 slug . Hopefully he turns up more useful the Finley, Hillenbrand

vCash
    Because he's the best hitter on the team, and about 20 less PA's a season could be offset by getting some more runners on base when he's at bat.

As for Ibanez,
    Yuck.

Defense first, he's been worth -25 runs a season defensively per 1350 innings over the last 3 seasons.
    The positional adjustment for DH is -17.5 runs. He should actually gain value by playing DH. That's how bad his defense has been.

Offensively, STEAMER and Oliver (differ wildly in their projections for Ibanez indicating the risk involved in signing him) combine to project him for -9 runs per 650 PA's, 3 base running runs, and 20 replacement runs.

Add in the -17.5 positional runs and Ibanez is projected for -10 runs for 2014.
    Last edited by filihok; 12-22-2013 at 12:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vladdy#27 View Post

CF Trout
    RF Calhoun
    1B Pujols
    LF Hamilton

2B Kendrick
    3B Freese
    DH Ibanez
    C Conger/Iannetta
    SS Aybar

I hope they don't start the season with Hamilton and Pujols that high, and Freese shouldn't be hitting that low.

something like
    Trout
    Ianetta
    Freese
    Kendrick
    Pujols
    Hamilton
    Calhoun
    Aybar
    Ibanez

At least until the season shakes out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I hope they don't start the season with Hamilton and Pujols that high, and Freese shouldn't be hitting that low.

something like
    Trout
    Ianetta
    Freese
    Kendrick
    Pujols
    Hamilton
    Calhoun
    Aybar
    Ibanez

Yea that lineup is not going to ever happen....ever
    Angels:
    Lakers:
    Rams:ray:
    OSU Beavers (Baseball):

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post

something like
    Trout
    Ianetta
    Freese
    Kendrick
    Pujols
    Hamilton
    Calhoun
    Aybar
    Ibanez

sorry that lineup is an absolute fail

i can see

Calhoun
    trout
    pujols
    hamilton
    freese
    ibanez
    kendrick
    ianetta/conger
    aybar

or

aybar
    calhoun
    trout
    pujols
    hamilton
    kendrick
    freese
    ibanez
    conger/ianetta

vCash
    I would guess that our opening day lineup would look like this:

vs. RHP
    1. Calhoun
    2. Trout
    3. Pujols
    4. Hamilton
    5. Kendrick
    6. Freese
    7. Ibanez
    8. Conger/Iannetta
    9. Ayber

vs LHP
    1. Calhoun
    2. Trout
    3. Pujols
    4. Freese
    5. Hamilton
    6. Kendrick
    7. Ibanez
    8. Iannetta
    9. Aybar

Personally, I would prefer Trout batting first, but this is how I think Scioscia will construct the lineup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SeWwEwW View Post
    sorry that lineup is an absolute fail

i can see

Calhoun
    trout
    pujols
    hamilton
    freese
    ibanez
    kendrick
    ianetta/conger
    aybar

or

aybar
    calhoun
    trout
    pujols
    hamilton
    kendrick
    freese
    ibanez
    conger/ianetta
    Why is it a "absolute fail"

I tried to put a line up together based on what I assume will be their OBP next season mixed with other factors like slugging.

Why would you bat Calhoun lead off? Sure he was good last year, but that was in less than 200 AB I think he can be good but there is no telling what he will actually do next year.

And why are you batting Pujols and Hamilton so high? Is it because they used to be good? Because they were awful last year, I guess you could say the same about Freese, but he wasn't as bad, it's just the slugging that was down.

To me Iannetta can do such a great job getting on base he should be hitting higher in the order, let our big bats hit him in. But this is all early estimates, if as the season progresses some guys are hitting better than others, than you change the line up.

Other than Home runs what does Ibanez do well? And at his age, there is no guarantee that they will be there next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by GA16Angels View Post
    I would guess that our opening day lineup would look like this:

vs. RHP
    1. Calhoun
    2. Trout
    3. Pujols
    4. Hamilton
    5. Kendrick
    6. Freese
    7. Ibanez
    8. Conger/Iannetta
    9. Ayber

vs LHP
    1. Calhoun
    2. Trout
    3. Pujols
    4. Freese
    5. Hamilton
    6. Kendrick
    7. Ibanez
    8. Iannetta
    9. Aybar

Personally, I would prefer Trout batting first, but this is how I think Scioscia will construct the lineup.
    I think your probably right.
    Last edited by ciaban; 12-23-2013 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    It seems to me that Howie is built to be a very solid number 2 hitter, but hes never really done well in that opportunity. In an ideal world i'd love to see a lineup of:

1. Aybar
    2. Freese
    3. Trout
    4. Pujols
    5. Hamilton
    6. Ibanez
    7. Kendrick
    8. Ianneta
    9. Calhoun

But i could also see Freese and Kendrick being swapped in that lineup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast