Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 757
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,599
    vCash
    1500

    Cleveland Browns Draft

    The Browns have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, so I figured its time to get this thread up. I know we have the QB Thread open, but lets try to get draft talk (not QB related) in this thread and have the seperate one for QB discussion only.

    The Browns currently have 10 picks in the draft, 7 of which are in the first 4 rounds:

    1st Round Pick:
    1st Round Pick (IND):

    2nd Round Pick:

    3rd Round Pick:
    3rd Round Pick (PIT):

    4th Round Pick:
    4th Round Pick (IND):

    5th Round Pick:

    6th Round Pick:

    7th Round Pick:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    8,235
    vCash
    1500
    Ugh I really don't want to start seeing 7 round mock drafts already especially when we have a troll on this thread that only comes around for these type of threads to list every 424 players eligible for the draft in their 200 7 round mocks they make from now until April so they can say how they were in on this guy.

    But still it is about that time and even though we have already been talking about QB's and RB's in other threads this is a good idea for now to at least talk about prospects since we don't know the Draft Order until a week and a half now at least the non playoff teams.

    IMO Browns fans should be following if not already every position as the Browns literally need players everywhere except LT, D-Line and OLB's IMO. In order of need I would say right now its QB, #2 Outside Corner (not nickel), #2 WR, ILB, RB (Just because they can find one in FA and shouldn't be using a top 2 round pick on one IMO), RG or RT depending on what they want to do with Schwartz, FS, 2nd TE, FB. This all doesn't even consider Center if Mack moves on (Think Greco takes over though), or SS if Ward leaves.

    So right now I would say:

    QB -
    #2 Corner -
    #2 WR -
    ILB -
    RB -
    RG or RT -
    FS -
    TE -
    FB -

    Thats 9 positions for 10 picks but obviously they will fill some needs in FA and be able to hopefully draft some BPA at spots rather than forcing any issue.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,599
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Ugh I really don't want to start seeing 7 round mock drafts already especially when we have a troll on this thread that only comes around for these type of threads to list every 424 players eligible for the draft in their 200 7 round mocks they make from now until April so they can say how they were in on this guy.

    But still it is about that time and even though we have already been talking about QB's and RB's in other threads this is a good idea for now to at least talk about prospects since we don't know the Draft Order until a week and a half now at least the non playoff teams.

    IMO Browns fans should be following if not already every position as the Browns literally need players everywhere except LT, D-Line and OLB's IMO. In order of need I would say right now its QB, #2 Outside Corner (not nickel), #2 WR, ILB, RB (Just because they can find one in FA and shouldn't be using a top 2 round pick on one IMO), RG or RT depending on what they want to do with Schwartz, FS, 2nd TE, FB. This all doesn't even consider Center if Mack moves on (Think Greco takes over though), or SS if Ward leaves.

    So right now I would say:

    QB -
    #2 Corner -
    #2 WR -
    ILB -
    RB -
    RG or RT -
    FS -
    TE -
    FB -

    Thats 9 positions for 10 picks but obviously they will fill some needs in FA and be able to hopefully draft some BPA at spots rather than forcing any issue.
    That is interesting you say that Otto. Dan Kadar did a mock this morning and had the Browns Picking Bortles and Jason Verrett.

    If the Browns went with your strategy, I would look for names like Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Brandin Cooks at WR and AJ Johnson, Yawin Smallwood, or Christian Jones at ILB.

    Your priorities I think are spot on, but will obviously change with the Combine and FA. I do like that FA is in Early February and the Draft isn't until early May. Wish the draft was a little earlier, but it definately gives teams time to look into FAs and then focus on the draft.

    Also, Ms. Webb is smiling in my signature. So she is capable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    279
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post
    Ugh I really don't want to start seeing 7 round mock drafts already especially when we have a troll on this thread that only comes around for these type of threads to list every 424 players eligible for the draft in their 200 7 round mocks they make from now until April so they can say how they were in on this guy.

    But still it is about that time and even though we have already been talking about QB's and RB's in other threads this is a good idea for now to at least talk about prospects since we don't know the Draft Order until a week and a half now at least the non playoff teams.

    IMO Browns fans should be following if not already every position as the Browns literally need players everywhere except LT, D-Line and OLB's IMO. In order of need I would say right now its QB, #2 Outside Corner (not nickel), #2 WR, ILB, RB (Just because they can find one in FA and shouldn't be using a top 2 round pick on one IMO), RG or RT depending on what they want to do with Schwartz, FS, 2nd TE, FB. This all doesn't even consider Center if Mack moves on (Think Greco takes over though), or SS if Ward leaves.

    So right now I would say:

    QB -
    #2 Corner -
    #2 WR -
    ILB -
    RB -
    RG or RT -
    FS -
    TE -
    FB -

    Thats 9 positions for 10 picks but obviously they will fill some needs in FA and be able to hopefully draft some BPA at spots rather than forcing any issue.
    I would say that our two first round picks need to be spent on QB and WR. WR is dependent however... I would want one of the top 3 WRs in the draft in order to pick WR that early. At this point, those would be Watkins, Evans, or Lee (no particular order). If none of those WR are available when we are making our non-QB pick, I would look at the ILB position or CB. I wouldn't go RB until probably the 3rd round. I am sure there are other WRs who we could draft in later rounds to compete for roster spots, but unless we sign a top 2 WR in free agency (not sure who will be available) Id love to snag one of those top 3 from the draft.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    8,235
    vCash
    1500
    Brownies I might have to Block you with that Sig. Don't think my bosses would like walking by my desk seeing that lol. I love it though.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    8,235
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruzor12 View Post
    I would say that our two first round picks need to be spent on QB and WR. WR is dependent however... I would want one of the top 3 WRs in the draft in order to pick WR that early. At this point, those would be Watkins, Evans, or Lee (no particular order). If none of those WR are available when we are making our non-QB pick, I would look at the ILB position or CB. I wouldn't go RB until probably the 3rd round. I am sure there are other WRs who we could draft in later rounds to compete for roster spots, but unless we sign a top 2 WR in free agency (not sure who will be available) Id love to snag one of those top 3 from the draft.
    Watch for Davante Adams too from Fresno State. Has a lot of Josh Gordon tendacies. I think he will be the 2nd WR drafted after Watkins if he does declare as he will probably show better at the combine than Evans or Lee.

    Watkins or Lee are the only two I would want to draft though if they are taking one of those four just because I don't like Evans or Adams games playing off of Gordon. Need someone underneath that can be an intermediate threat with Gordon & Benji being vertical threats. Hopefully Bess can get his head out of his "A" next year and help with this but I live Watkins, Lee, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews underneath to go with Gordon.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,599
    vCash
    1500
    Does anyone have ESPN INsider or a link to McShay's full mock that he posted today?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    8,235
    vCash
    1500
    Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay included four QBs in the top six picks in his first mock draft of the season.
    Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater was mocked No. 1 to the Texans, UCF's Blake Bortles to the Raiders at No. 3, Johnny Manziel to the Jaguars at No. 4, and Derek Carr to the Browns at No. 6. "I think the key for Manziel is going to be how he interviews," McShay said. "Some teams are going to fall in love with his confidence, whereas others will be turned off by him." No other quarterbacks were slotted in the first-round.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...t-player-news/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    96
    vCash
    1500
    I think we all agree QB is our number one need, however I really don't want to see us reach for one at the top of the draft if they start flying off the board, and I do not want to see us give up valuable picks to move up as I do not see a QB worth doing that for. I would rather us take BPA at a position of need with our 1st pick or even move down a couple of spots and pick up another 2nd rounder.
    I am really not wowed by any of the QBs in this class, but until the Bowl games, combine and workouts are done, you never know who we will fall in love with.

    I don't think it's a disaster if we draft a QB in the 3rd this year (possibly Mettenberger due to the injury) and go with Hoyer next season while giving our drafted QB time to learn and develop.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Beckley, West Virginia, United States
    Posts
    158
    vCash
    1500
    heres that troll. even though i probably post more than you. i dont know what it takes to get along with you guys, but im not worried about it anymore. I see why we lose all the time God is punishing Cleveland for its douchey fans. but despite the way you guys treat me, i hope you all have a Merry Christmas, and a great 2014 and heres my mock for the 2014 draft.

    1st Round
    Sammy Watkins
    CJ Mosley

    2nd round
    Brett Hundley/Boyd

    3rd Round
    Charles Simms
    Deion Belue

    4th round
    Ryan Groy
    Tyler Larson

    5th Round
    Ty Zimmerman
    David Fales

    6th Round
    Rob Branchflower

    7th Round
    Michael Campanaro
    Last edited by Carless Yen; 01-03-2014 at 10:33 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    354
    vCash
    1500
    Hey guys, long time no type. Hope all has been well. I must say I am very proud of my Browns and how they have fought and I'm very happy with losses. It's clear to me and many of the perennial Browns haters across the world that people are finally noticing the talent on this team. I'm not just talking about Gordon either.

    The defense is a top unit in the league and our major issue is QB and RB play. I won't go into any type of mock, but needs are obvious. QB #1, but if Clowney falls into out laps I'd take him in a heartbeat, but that's just me. RB is a major need, but there are quite a few solid prospects so that can be handled in the 2nd or 3rd round with a quality starter from Day 1.

    A legit #2 WR opposite Flash Gordon matched with a solid QB and the skies the limit in my eyes. A legit #2 CB opposite Haden. Ward and Mack need to be re-signed or C and S will be major needs as well. Another ILB and help on the OL. I see absolutely no reason why the Browns miss out on the playoffs next season. The Bengals are the only competition in the division now IMO and they always find ways to beat themselves.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,025
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSportsHound View Post
    Hey guys, long time no type. Hope all has been well. I must say I am very proud of my Browns and how they have fought and I'm very happy with losses. It's clear to me and many of the perennial Browns haters across the world that people are finally noticing the talent on this team. I'm not just talking about Gordon either.

    The defense is a top unit in the league and our major issue is QB and RB play. I won't go into any type of mock, but needs are obvious. QB #1, but if Clowney falls into out laps I'd take him in a heartbeat, but that's just me. RB is a major need, but there are quite a few solid prospects so that can be handled in the 2nd or 3rd round with a quality starter from Day 1.

    A legit #2 WR opposite Flash Gordon matched with a solid QB and the skies the limit in my eyes. A legit #2 CB opposite Haden. Ward and Mack need to be re-signed or C and S will be major needs as well. Another ILB and help on the OL. I see absolutely no reason why the Browns miss out on the playoffs next season. The Bengals are the only competition in the division now IMO and they always find ways to beat themselves.
    I like your enthusiasm...but, that's a BUNCH of holes, my friend!!! I like the overall direction that this team is headed, but right now, this team is far from a playoff team. Until I see what they do in free agency and via the draft, I wouldn't mention playoffs. From your estimation...we are looking for 6-8 new starters for next year (with C and S being new only if Ward and Mack jump ship). That's between 27-36% of the offensive and defensive starters you are talking about....that's a significant change to this football team. We have seen it from other teams year in and year out...bring in a bunch of new guys and....success doesn't happen overnight, they need time to gel together and become an offensive and defensive unit. If they address all of the needs, they are headed in the right direction...but it will be difficult to fill 6-8 starters in one offseason.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    8,235
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSportsHound View Post
    Hey guys, long time no type. Hope all has been well. I must say I am very proud of my Browns and how they have fought and I'm very happy with losses. It's clear to me and many of the perennial Browns haters across the world that people are finally noticing the talent on this team. I'm not just talking about Gordon either.

    The defense is a top unit in the league and our major issue is QB and RB play. I won't go into any type of mock, but needs are obvious. QB #1, but if Clowney falls into out laps I'd take him in a heartbeat, but that's just me. RB is a major need, but there are quite a few solid prospects so that can be handled in the 2nd or 3rd round with a quality starter from Day 1.

    A legit #2 WR opposite Flash Gordon matched with a solid QB and the skies the limit in my eyes. A legit #2 CB opposite Haden. Ward and Mack need to be re-signed or C and S will be major needs as well. Another ILB and help on the OL. I see absolutely no reason why the Browns miss out on the playoffs next season. The Bengals are the only competition in the division now IMO and they always find ways to beat themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    I like your enthusiasm...but, that's a BUNCH of holes, my friend!!! I like the overall direction that this team is headed, but right now, this team is far from a playoff team. Until I see what they do in free agency and via the draft, I wouldn't mention playoffs. From your estimation...we are looking for 6-8 new starters for next year (with C and S being new only if Ward and Mack jump ship). That's between 27-36% of the offensive and defensive starters you are talking about....that's a significant change to this football team. We have seen it from other teams year in and year out...bring in a bunch of new guys and....success doesn't happen overnight, they need time to gel together and become an offensive and defensive unit. If they address all of the needs, they are headed in the right direction...but it will be difficult to fill 6-8 starters in one offseason.
    This by Buck.

    Not to mention I wouldn't say the Bengals are the only competition moving forward when the Browns still do not compete with the Steelers or Ravens on a consistent basis. I guess 1 win in the last 12 against the Ravens means they are no longer real competition moving forward especially when they have a young Defense that is just starting to show the ability to come together. I guess 2 wins out of the past 20 games against Pittspuke means they no longer will be competition moving forward (not to mention one of those wins was against Charlie Batch and they needed 8 TO's just to squek it out). I understand that most think the common logic is that Baltimore and Pittsburgh are getting older and the Browns are so young that it means the Browns will start winning these games but I still don't see it. Until the Browns can find a QB they are always going to struggle to compete in the AFC North since Baltimore and Pittspuke still will have a legitimate FRANCHISE QB for more years to come. The team I feel most confident about in the North is the Bengals and thats because I still don't trust Dalton and nobody should.

    BTW for everyone saying they are fine waiting on a QB in the draft, WHY? Because lets continue to play around with the position or because the fact that us great and knowledgable forum writers don't think from OUR extensive scouting coverage that anyone is worth a top 10 pick in our minds in 2014. A lot of people never even knew about Big Ben coming out, or Joe Flacco coming out but yet here they are winning SB's while the Browns continue to F around with the position. The stank of Couch, Quinn and Weeden certainly doesn't help but you don't stop drafting the top available prospects at the MOST NEEDED position in football because of past regimes mistakes. Also don't tell me to look at Russell Wilson. That is an exception to the rule and not the norm. Outside of Brees & Brady there is no other QB in the past 10 rounds to not be drafted in the first round to win a SB and even Brees was taken at #32 in 2001 which in todays world would be a First Round pick.

    Bridgewater, Carr, Hundley & Bortles are all rated high enough where the regime needs to evaluate these individuals and make a decision on who fits the culture, team, system, and city best and go get them. If they need to move up to get said player after their evaluation due to them being that high on them then so be it but don't sit on you hands and hope something drops to you like past regimes have. The FO has to start being proactive in the position of QB or we are going to be sitting here again in 3 years talking about a new regime and evaluating the QB classes again. Now this doesn't mean they are going to hit on the QB they select but they have a better chance of taking a guy early from past metrics than they will continuing to hope that something falls to them and then taking that like past regimes because they didn't want to reach for a guy early but then got stuck reaching for a guy because they had to fill the position ala McCoy, Weeden the past 3 years. Luckily that regime is gone but now it is on the new regime to evaluate correctly and address the position correctly. If they don't move on a QB early I will be very surprised (I think they are high on Bortles and believe they are the top 10 team leaking to the media that he could be the #1 QB on their Board but thats just me) but it won't be the end of the world. I just really don't hope they are putting all of their eggs in the basket of a 3rd round prospect moving forward, a QB coming off an ACL injury out of college that progressed well in 1 year or a 28 year old journeyman who is also coming off an ACL injury and was on 4 teams in 1 year.

    Time to make you Pilot J dollars in the 2014 draft Cleveland Browns coaches and FO.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    788
    vCash
    1500
    First of all, Merry Christmas Carl, and everyone else. I am torn between what to do in this draft. I change my mibd more than anyone I think. Good thing I am not a scout. Right now I hope for Watkins with the first pick and a QB with the second.
    Here comes the NEW BROWNS!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    279
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by ottograham14 View Post

    Bridgewater, Carr, Hundley & Bortles are all rated high enough where the regime needs to evaluate these individuals and make a decision on who fits the culture, team, system, and city best and go get them. If they need to move up to get said player after their evaluation due to them being that high on them then so be it but don't sit on you hands and hope something drops to you like past regimes have. The FO has to start being proactive in the position of QB or we are going to be sitting here again in 3 years talking about a new regime and evaluating the QB classes again. Now this doesn't mean they are going to hit on the QB they select but they have a better chance of taking a guy early from past metrics than they will continuing to hope that something falls to them and then taking that like past regimes because they didn't want to reach for a guy early but then got stuck reaching for a guy because they had to fill the position ala McCoy, Weeden the past 3 years. Luckily that regime is gone but now it is on the new regime to evaluate correctly and address the position correctly. If they don't move on a QB early I will be very surprised (I think they are high on Bortles and believe they are the top 10 team leaking to the media that he could be the #1 QB on their Board but thats just me) but it won't be the end of the world. I just really don't hope they are putting all of their eggs in the basket of a 3rd round prospect moving forward, a QB coming off an ACL injury out of college that progressed well in 1 year or a 28 year old journeyman who is also coming off an ACL injury and was on 4 teams in 1 year.
    THIS. I don't want to get a QB with a later round pick because I feel like that is a settle mindset. I had this argument with a friend earlier this week. I would rather bust on the guy that we reached for and wanted rather than bust on a guy we settled with and watch the guy we wanted succeed with another team. Our first pick HAS to be a QB. We need to decide who is the best between Bortles, Bridgewater, Hundley, and Carr. Then get them... even if we have to trade up. I don't want any what if scenarios...

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •