Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

What do the Jazz do with that cap room?

The Jazz have six contracts totaling nearly $42 million coming off the books at the end of this season. They've got to pay Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward to come back, but everything else is wide open. I'm guessing they re-sign Marvin Williams and Brandon Rush for nominal fees.
    What would you do with all that money?
    It seems more difficult to get good free agents to Utah. Maybe they go after lower-profile but talented players like Greg Monroe, Lance Stephenson, Luol Deng, Jordan Crawford, Chandler Parsons, Marcin Gortat and Spencer Hawes, meshing the free agents with their core of Favors, Hayward, Alec Burks and Trey Burke.

vCash
    Well, they have to figure out what to do with Gordon and I figure that contract is going to be big. I think they also need to factor in what to do with Kanter and Burks this year unless they want them to become restricted FA's after next season.

Depending on the draft, they need quality PG depth, on the ball defense and I think they need a defensive stopper at the 4. (that might surprise folks) I worry about Favors being on an island in the paint during a playoff series if we don't have an Ibaka type to man up physically in the paint.

During a game in 1982, Frank Layden, then head coach of the Utah Jazz, had seen enough of his team's poor performance and wanted an early exit. Layden verbally abused Strom so he could get ejected from the game. Strom knew what he was trying to do, and when Layden asked why he didn't eject him, Strom replied, "I know what you're trying to do, Frank, but if I've got to stay out here and watch this $#!^, so do you".

vCash
    I don't think we are gonna spend it next year either. They will do something to lock up hayward probably, but with the remainder I won't be shocked at all if we pull another golden state type deal again where we take on a couple big expirings in exchange for picks. This team won't be ready to compete next year, so using the cap next year would be silly in my opinion. Let the guys continue to develop and once they are ready you use the cap to fill in the gaps and try to contend again.

vCash
    None of those guys are worth overpaying for, IMO. I'd much rather us try to build through the draft (unless you get to take a shot at a beast) and go with one year contracts to fill gaps. Monroe is the most interesting mix of youth and talent in the list above - a rotation of he, Favors and Kanter could be beastly.

vCash
    If Carmelo Anthony opts out of NY, does that mean all bets are off on where he is looking to sign? We got a good young roster lacking a superstar to really be good for years. I know Utah is not a destination of star players but is there even a slight chance?

vCash
    I will pass on Anthony. Thats fake star power i believe. He does exactly what we need and who knows what would happen chemistry wise but I still think I would pass.

vCash
    Oooo, yeah, for sure pass on Carmello.
    don't let it go to your head big fella

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdood View Post
    If Carmelo Anthony opts out of NY, does that mean all bets are off on where he is looking to sign? We got a good young roster lacking a superstar to really be good for years. I know Utah is not a destination of star players but is there even a slight chance?
    Zero chance. He likes the big stage.

Hayward has cost himself some money so far. Shooting woes and up and down play is going to take a few million off their asking price. He would need to really come on the second half of the season to get anywhere near a max deal. I'd bet he gets a deal like Favors. Speaking of Favors, it looks like we got a deal with his contract.

vCash
    I think if anything, Hayward has earned more money than lost it. He's having to pull the weight each and every night. Teams are keying in on him, and yet he is still producing like a starter should. We get someone to help take that weight off of him, and he's only going to get better. The man is pushing towards averaging a triple double each night.

Lets not have such steep expectations here.
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    If we have a bunch of money and say we end up outside of where we would land a Allstar in next years draft then I would love to see Lindsey go hard in the paint for Kevin love. You just never know and we are in a financial situation with some pretty good assets to maybe steal him before next years trade deadline if minny is worried about not getting anything in return when he walks. Plus we have a really good report with minny.

vCash
    I'm down for that. Move Kanter to the bench, start Favors and Love and I can't see anyone else having a better future frontcourt than that
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    What is Monroe's situation like in DET, he a FA?
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumba View Post
    I'm down for that. Move Kanter to the bench, start Favors and Love and I can't see anyone else having a better future frontcourt than that
    if we went after love I would assume we would headline the package with our pick and kanter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdood View Post
    Whoever it is should probably be younger than 25. Utah might want to wait and let its back court grow together. Trey Burke and Alec Burks aren't looking half bad together. Greg Monroe would be good, although I wonder whether he'll end up as another Al Jefferson – he's not that great, defensively.

vCash
    Monroe and Favors down low would be nasty
    FWITHMEYOUKNOWIGOTIT

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast