Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

westbrook or curry?

westbrook is my fav player

been debating a few guys about this topic.

who would you guys rather have, westbrook or curry on this team?

vCash
    Russell Westbrook

vCash
    Personally I would take Russ. Curry is the more efficient scorer and having a great all around year but I think Russell is the more dynamic player and his tenacity is what the Thunder need at the present time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LJEATON26 View Post
    Personally I would take Russ. Curry is the more efficient scorer and having a great all around year but I think Russell is the more dynamic player and his tenacity is what the Thunder need at the present time.
    me too. dude is so tough getting to the rim and all the intangibles he brings and def a better defender than curry

vCash
    This is clearly not the same team if Westbrook isn't playing. You can have the hottest Ferrari on the planet, but if you don't have any spark plugs it just looks good but just won't run and a raging bull without a heart is hamburger. It's no wonder our guards are such good defenders, can you imagine trying to cover this guy in practice every day?

I became a Thunder fan because of Russell Westbrook. And he did it the very first time I saw him play his rookie year when the Thunder was just 3 and 23. He played with the heart and desire I expect to see in a multi-million dollar athlete every second he was on the floor and hasn't let up since. I have seen this team get a little too complacent a couple of times this year and watched Russell put them on his back and shame them into kicking it back into gear and pull out wins. He may not be the best shooter on the floor but I think he is clearly the most inspirational along with being the fastest man with a ball in his hands I think I have ever seen right along with being the most polarizing player in any sport since Pete Rose. You either love him or hate him, but no matter what, you gotta respect him. Pete Rose once ended a players career in an All-Star game, not because he was intentionally trying to hurt him, he just didn't know any other way to play the game and Russell is the same way. That game winning shot he hit against Golden State was pure Russell. Everyone remembers the shot but what they forget is he sky-ed above their bigs to keep the ball alive then positioned himself for Thabo's outlet and then put up the winning shot, all in less than 3 seconds. Found this video the other day, here is a good place to post it, the best parts, IMO, are in the last half of the video. We all know about the dunks... its the other things he does in the second part of the video that I like. I just wish they showed more plays from when Russ gets a defensive rebound on the run, they just show the finish, but having watched those games, a lot of those fast breaks were started with a Russell Westbrook rebound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgEa5tsdwYc

He's Back!

vCash
    ^^^ I think a lot of guys are looking at curry bcuz of his offense and pure shooting but to me westbrook is up there with parker and rose at getting to the rim at will

if okc was a big media market like la/ny, then they would've payed harden max.

I think okc is a kevin love away from winning a title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES KOAST View Post
    ^^^ I think a lot of guys are looking at curry bcuz of his offense and pure shooting but to me westbrook is up there with parker and rose at getting to the rim at will

if okc was a big media market like la/ny, then they would've payed harden max.

I think okc is a kevin love away from winning a title.
    I'm not so sure about the Harden thing. I think that Presti re-e-eally wanted that draft pick that was part of the trade as well as the player he got, Jeremy Lamb, Kevin Martin was just one and done gravy. Harden has always been a max deal quality player. He would have stayed had Presti offered him the $40 mil, but he would have been, in all honesty, underpaid, and that can sour even the best chemistry and there was something that went on that summer after the Miami series that may have worried Presti of that possibility. Before I say more I just want it noted that I am not passing judgement or condemning the event, Harden can do whatever he wants with him money, not my concern, but I think the "Million Dollar" birthday party on the yacht may have been a clue that a 40 million dollar deal would go sour when Harden realized what he had passed up on. Look at what he has, max deal and he IS the man in Houston, Dwight Howard or not. In OKC he would have had half the money and essentially been a role player behind KD and Russell, an excellent one mind you, but second fiddle and underpaid is 2 strikes towards an unhappy player, don't add a championship ring in the first 2 years of the deal and it all goes to kaa kaa, possibly.

On the other hand, a player like Jeremy Lamb fits into the deal Harden turned down very nicely in the future AND OKC has the potential in Steven Adams to have a young, athletic big that turn into the scoring threat down low that we have never had. This kid is so good that I think by the All Star break the debate will fire up about him starting the rest of the season if it hasn't already. I honestly don't see it happening, barring injury to Perk, because Brooks is very conservative in that regard but I think his minutes will increase substantially as the year goes on.

I think your assessment of the Westbrook/Curry debate is spot on. I will add that Westbrook is taking his game to another level and is playing right into the mad scientist's (Sam Presti) decision not to offer Harden the $40 mil deal. The Nuggets game is a prime example, two years ago, heck, even last year, I don't think we would have seen Serge Ibaka score the first eleven points in a game..... ever. One, because his shot wasn't as reliable, but even more significant, Westbrook wouldn't have given him the opportunity even if it had. Let me clarify further. It's not that Russell is a selfish player, I don't really think he is, not in the purest sense at least. I think that when you combine how fast the game is in the first place and then you combine it with the speed in which he plays it then understanding why it took him this long in his career to reach this point is pretty clear. The most exciting part is that I think it just gets better from here. Not only is Russell catching up with the game, his teammates are beginning to catch up to him. He drives and they are ready for anything, not just looking for a rebound. His assists are up right along with his confidence and we are quickly reaching the point that Presti has been working toward since Seattle. Think of frying potatoes, the secret to light crisp taters is letting the grease get hot enough. Put the potatoes in too early and they soak up too much grease and are ruined.

Presti has been watching Westbrook closer than any of us I promise you and I think he came to some conclusions a long time ago. One, need a bulkier Kevin Durant (think of KD 3 years ago and look at him now, he's gotten strong enough to play the 4 in our small lineup and getting thicker), check.... two, need a patient coach that will allow Russ time to grow his game and KD to... grow, Scotty Brooks, check....three, need athletic big men that can run the floor for outlets when this kamakasi goes flying to the basket, Serge Ibaka and now Steven Adams, check.... four, a go to outside gunner, looks like Jeremy Lamb, check.... and finally, fill in the gaps with athletic go-getters and the right mix of veterans to mentor them and set to simmer and see what happens.

You said OKC needs a Kevin Love to win a title, I think, over time we'll see that is covered. Maybe not in one player, but as Steven Adams improves and then starts, I think he is going to be a fantastic rebounder, Russ already is running away with the rebounding title for point guards, and the Adams pick allowed Presti to take a player he probably wouldn't have picked otherwise, Andre Roberson, a rebounding maniac.... oh.. oh... and, I almost forgot, a little pick up we have stashed in Tulsa, Grant Jerrett. It will be interesting to see what he develops into because he is a forward that has the potential to be a big time shooter coming off the bench some day. In a nutshell, what OKC is going to have to do to win a title is commit to paying some luxury tax on what they have.

Case in point, Jackson, to keep him they are going to have to pay him and his contract will put us over the limit. The question in Presti's mind is not whether to he has to go over the tax limit, it's when. Do it at the right time and win a title, tax is covered. Extra revenues from Jersey sales, tv exposure, etc should cover the cost, but do it too soon and it's just like those taters, ruined, and you have to have a bake sale to survive and your back to square one.

Just my 2 cents worth....

He's Back!

vCash
    I like Westbrook as a better fit for the Thunder but Curry's contract would give us more flexibility.
    its close but I wll go with Westy.