Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Orioles Sign Grant Balfour, 2 years, 14 mill

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...t-balfour.html

I like it considering they get him and organizational depth and pay 3 less million next year.

vCash
    Solid, plus they get the benefits of an Aussie on the team. American *****es luh Aussies.

vCash
    Basically they get:

Balfour (Closer)
    Weeks (2B/OF)
    Freitas (C)
    3 Million

for Jim Johnson (Closer, to make 10-11 mill in 2014)

It's not a fleece or anything, but I prefer Balfour to Johnson and they get organizational depth and a bit of extra spending cash. If you offset that 3 mill, it will be like Balfour is making 4 million next year (7 million 2nd year - 3 mill saved).

Wonder if the O's will go hard after Garza now and try to fortify the rotation. Can't see them going after Ubaldo, Ervin Santana due to draft pick compensation.

vCash
    Good luck to him in Baltimore... definitely gonna miss doing the "Balfour Rage" in Oakland though
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 51-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 59-36 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    Basically they get:

Balfour (Closer)
    Weeks (2B/OF)
    Freitas (C)
    3 Million

for Jim Johnson (Closer, to make 10-11 mill in 2014)

It's not a fleece or anything, but I prefer Balfour to Johnson and they get organizational depth and a bit of extra spending cash. If you offset that 3 mill, it will be like Balfour is making 4 million next year (7 million 2nd year - 3 mill saved).

Wonder if the O's will go hard after Garza now and try to fortify the rotation. Can't see them going after Ubaldo, Ervin Santana due to draft pick compensation.
    Heard one of the Baltimore beat writers on MLB radio last night. He says AJ Burnett is their #1 target because he'll take a 1 year deal and if they can't get him, they'll look at low cost options. He doesn't think the O's will go multi-years on one of the remaining free agents.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash
    Not a fan of fly ball pitchers in a pretty decent hitters park like BAL has. That's the reason why I wanted the Yankees to stay far, far away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    Do they finally have someone that can hold down a save?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac8675 View Post
    Good luck to him in Baltimore... definitely gonna miss doing the "Balfour Rage" in Oakland though
    It was pretty fun seeing in Oakland when I was there. Too bad you guys didn't keep him.

vCash
    Decent pick up here for Baltimore. Balfour's a solid pickup.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 63-80, games this week vs. Orioles (3), Royals (4)
    Indianapolis Colts: 0-1, Week 2 vs. Eagles
    Minnesota Timberwolves: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    ..hold on. deal might be in jeopardy.

Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Grant Balfour's two-year deal with the Orioles is in "serious jeopardy" due to issues with his physical that "need to be resolved."
    There's no word on what the physical issue is. Kubatko says the two-year, $15 million deal was supposed to be officially announced on Thursday, but it's now "very possible" it will fall through. He expects a resolution to come sometime on Friday. It's possible the O's could re-work the deal in order to protect themselves, or they might have to find another closer.
    Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles' concerns over Grant Balfour's physical have to do with his right shoulder.
    Balfour had surgery in September of 2005 to repair his labrum and rotator cuff but hasn't had any issues with his shoulder since. Evidently, though, the Orioles' doctors saw something they didn't like. Both Connolly and Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com have reported that there's a real chance Balfour's two-year, $15 million contract will fall apart. A resolution is expected to come Friday.
    Last edited by SpecialFNK; 12-19-2013 at 09:31 PM.

vCash
    Orioles are really strict when it comes to physicals. He either takes a pay cut (which if I was him, I wouldn't do) or he is a FA again it seems. Balfour will still sign on with someone but it looks like Baltimore needs a new closer.

vCash
    haha o's what a joke

vCash
    Getting weird

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 13m
    Two club MDs who have a history with Balfour - and one who examined him today - say his arm is fine. Story: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/o...sicians-122013 … #Orioles

@Ken_Rosenthal 59s
    Source: Balfour will discuss with union whether to file a grievance against #Orioles. What two other club MDs say: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/b...sicians-122013

vCash
    Maybe they were nervous about committing to that deal you can always find something wrong with a pitcher even Felix had something in his arm that could harm him in the future.

vCash
    I called this yesterday. So um....I told you so Aaron Sele repeat. Balfour will be an allstar with whoever he signs on with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast