Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

The Official 2013-2014 Off Season Thread -Touching all four bases

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash

vCash
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 5m
    Sandy Alderson said the 5th starter #Mets bring in is likely on minor league contract so he's competing with young players, not assured spot

vCash
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 7m
    Sandy Alderson said 2 or 3 teams are potential trade partners for a shortstop but it's more likely that Tejada is there than 2 months ago.

This is so wrong on so many levels.

vCash
    Tejada at SS is unacceptable.

The Future

vCash
    Tejada
    Murphy
    Wright
    Granderson
    Young
    Duda
    d'Arnaud
    Lagares

Very meh lineup
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    JohnBotelho (Chestnut Hill, MA): Who are your way too early predicitions for Rookie of the Year in each league?

Jason Parks: In the AL, I'll go with Yordano Ventura. I think he's going to surprise people in the rotation. In the NL, I'll go with Chris Owings. Not a star player, but easy role 5 (and perhaps more) that should produce at a premium spot.

vCash
    Bill (New Mexico): True or false: the next big advance in talent evaluation will come when some team figures out how to quantify "makeup" issues among potential draftees and international signings, and use that quantification to drive their acquisitions.

Jason Parks: That's going to be a big part of the equation, but I think injury prevention/projection is the big boy on the horizon. I'm fascinated with the concepts of injury projection.

The preserving the 6th tool is on the horizon.

vCash
    Ughhhhhh we are so close to fielding a good competitive team.. All we need is 2 or 3 more moves .. It would be so frustrating after all we've done to not finish the damn job of fielding a compelete major league quality team.. Ffs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    Ughhhhhh we are so close to fielding a good competitive team.. All we need is 2 or 3 more moves .. It would be so frustrating after all we've done to not finish the damn job of fielding a compelete major league quality team.. Ffs
    I agree. If the team chooses to stick with Tejada and an anemic offense with him leading off, then we better have an elite bullpen to go with our rotation otherwise it's not a complete off-season.

vCash
    Alderson, speaking at the Mets' annual holiday party for local schoolchildren, also suggested there is more clarity as far as potential trading partners for Ike Davis. And the GM ruled himself out of the Mets being a candidate for Japanese right-hander Masahiro Tanaka, who may soon be posted.

The specifics:
    • Alderson suggested a handful of teams might be willing to trade a shortstop to the Mets, but Tejada is becoming more likely as the starter.

"Well, I think it is more likely certainly than it was a couple of months ago, let's say," the GM said. "But we've improved the team at other positions. And so giving Ruben a chance to reestablish himself as an everyday player isn't such a bad thing. But we'll continue to monitor what's there from the trade market and conceivably free agency, although there really isn't much left there. There are two or three teams that are possibilities."

• The Mets and Milwaukee Brewers still appear the best trade partners at first base, but the Pittsburgh Pirates also need a first baseman, and potentially the Houston Astros.

On the subject of the first-base market, Alderson said: "It's smaller, both on the supply side and the demand side. Actually that's probably a good thing, because there's more clarity as to the options -- both trade partners and alternatives. We're still talking with a number of teams. I can't say anything will happen. For example, if we were not to get what we wanted in return, we'd have to think of other options, which would be to wait, or to even go into spring training with more than one [first baseman]. Let's see what happens. ... We're not anxious about it."

Alderson suggested he would be looking for an equivalent return to what others have received for trading first basemen. The Miami Marlins, for instance, received 23-year-old right-handed reliever Carter Capps from the Seattle Mariners in a trade for Logan Morrison last week.

• Alderson expects a fifth-starter candidate to be signed on a minor-league deal, so that Jenrry Mejia and presumably Jacob deGrom and Rafael Montero could compete for a spot out of spring training and top prospect Noah Syndergaard would not be blocked from a June or July promotion.

"I don't know that we want to get someone who precludes some of our young starting pitchers from competing for that spot," Alderson said, "which means the people we bring in will have to compete with those young guys."

• Alderson said about pursuing Tanaka: "I think that's very unlikely. ... It's not an area of extraordinary need. Obviously you'd love to have a quality pitcher anytime one became available. But, realistically, I don't think it's an area of weakness at this point."

• The GM implied Daniel Murphy is not a strong leadoff candidate. "It's tough to have a leadoff man with a .310 on-base percentage."

• On the Bartolo Colon signing, Alderson said: "I look at him as a great addition to an otherwise solid three starters."

Regarding handing him a two-year deal, the GM offered this reasoning: "First of all, based on the year he had last year and the last couple of years. Based on our sense of his physical condition -- and that relates primarily to the structure of his shoulder and elbow as opposed to anything else. And the talent/performance reward merited the risk, especially on a two-year deal."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...trade-partners

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 7m
    Sandy Alderson said 2 or 3 teams are potential trade partners for a shortstop but it's more likely that Tejada is there than 2 months ago.

This is so wrong on so many levels.
    People need to relax. Just maintaining leverage in trade talks. Don't overplay your hand, "OMG, Trade me a SS, We are so desperate, AHHHHHH!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 5m
    Sandy Alderson said the 5th starter #Mets bring in is likely on minor league contract so he's competing with young players, not assured spot
    I like this. DeGrom, Montero, Mejia. May the best man win.

vCash
    Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 4m
    Murph believes he'll remain a Met http://es.pn/1fC43K7 #NYM #Mets

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 4m
    Mets 'fairly confident' Bobby Parnell OK http://es.pn/1jfgwsb #NYM #

Page 1 of 67 1231151 ... LastLast