Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

D-Backs acquire Addison Reed

Really like this for the D-Backs.

Link

The Diamondbacks announced that they have acquired Addison Reed from the White Sox in exchange for third baseman Matt Davidson. MLB.com's Steve Gilbert first reported that the trade was on the verge of happening (on Twitter).

Reed, 24, has saved 69 games for the White Sox over the past two seasons, posting a 4.20 ERA with 9.0 K/9 and 2.9 BB/9 in 126 1/3 innings in that time. Sabermetric stats such as FIP (3.38) and SIERA (3.33) feel that Reed's ERA should have been substantially lower in that time. The Diamondbacks will control Reed through the 2017 season and he is not arbitration eligible until next offseason, making him a highly affordable piece to add to the back-end of their bullpen.

Davidson, 23 in March, made his big league debut in 2013, slashing .237/.333/.434 with three homers in 87 plate appearances. The 2009 supplemental-rounder entered the 2013 campaign ranked as Baseball America's No. 88 overall prospect and MLB.com's No. 77 overall prospect. Davidson delivered on that praise by slashing .280/.350/.481 with 17 homers in 500 plate appearances prior to his promotion to the big leagues. He is controllable through the 2019 season and can't reach arbitration eligibility until at least the 2016-17 offseason.

vCash
    Love it, selling high to fill a gaping need in our lineup.

vCash
    Love all the (near) ML ready pieces Hahn has acquired. With the ability to either develop pitching in the system or get the most out of the scrap heap signings. We should always try to trade our closers.

vCash
    Really like this trade for the D'Backs, Reed is an excellent late inning talent. Could see an uptick in strikeouts leaving the AL and Cellular field, and at least last year he really picked up pop ups. I think he has room to grow as he was only recently one of the best pure relief prospects ever.

That said, I like Celluar for Davidson's power, though otherwise I find him meh. I like it in that sense for the White Sox, who are probably looking to overhaul their roster and want cheap, young players.

vCash

Powers hard to find! So Im going to trade 6 years of it for a RP

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    Powers hard to find! So Im going to trade 6 years of it for a RP
    Probably a difference between trading for a 30+ HR major leaguer who's done it in a very tough run environment (if you consider the league AND park situation) and trading a minor league 3B who's hit in friendly offensive conditions his whole minor league career.

Davidson K'd 24 times in 76 PAs during his initial callup as well...I just wish I had the credit prospects get. I could do whatever I want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    P

Davidson K'd 24 times in 76 PAs during his initial callup as well...I just wish I had the credit prospects get. I could do whatever I want.
    24 times in his first 76 PAs? That's egregious. I hope he never steps foot in a major league ballpark again. IMO it's a great trade considering our last good 3B was Joe Crede and Addison Reed is pretty good but nothing special.

edit: Of course it's not a sure thing that Davidson will perform but the 3B situation around the majors is pretty dreadful. When a player with his potential becomes available for a freaking reliever you jump on it.
    Last edited by keymax; 12-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.

vCash

Reed is a nice piece, but not to a team who contend most likely this year, he isn't really needed. Plus the Sox have a youngster in Daniel Webb who could be the closer of the future.

vCash

I like the deal for both teams.

vCash
    Now the White Sox need to go sign Choo because they are going to need someone with a good OBP to offset the K's of Davidson and Abreu. I like the deal for the White Sox now, but that can obviously change at any time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by keymax View Post
    24 times in his first 76 PAs? That's egregious. I hope he never steps foot in a major league ballpark again. IMO it's a great trade considering our last good 3B was Joe Crede and Addison Reed is pretty good but nothing special.
    Standards have gone to ****. Meh is now great, every prospect is 6 years of gold waiting to happen...What happened? When did this happen? Who did it?

I like the deal for both teams.
    I do too, but lean towards Reed's upside personally. The thing to like about Davidson is that he's upper minors and cheap at a position the White Sox need. That and obvy I like the park fit for his bat.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-16-2013 at 03:06 PM.

vCash
    Standards have gone to ****. Meh is now great, every prospect is 6 years of gold waiting to happen...What happened? When did this happen? Who did it?
    see my edit above. The White Sox bought a lottery ticket for someone who was expendable. I don't see the problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by keymax View Post
    see my edit above. The White Sox bought a lottery ticket for someone who was expendable. I don't see the problem.
    You're not seeing it because there is no problem. Just continued amazed at the amount of credit a prospect has so long as he's a prospect.

vCash
    White Sox wont be competitive for awhile, trading a meaningless closer for a flyer at a 3B with power potential isn't a bad idea.

vCash
    Wtf are you people imagining I'm saying here? No one is saying it's a bad idea for the two teams. Just that between the two players Reed is probably the bigger talent at their respective positions. I get that he was expendable to the White Sox, that doesn't change anything about the value of the players just explains the context of why it got made.

I like the buy for the D'Backs is all.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast