Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Stats prove D'Antoni is right about Pau

I read this article on ESPN talking about Pau's trade value. In the article they posted a lot of interesting stats that proved that (A) Pau is indeed getting touches in the post and (B) that Pau needs to work harder.

Gasol has been used in 25.9% of the Lakers plays on offense so far this season. His highest rate since being traded to LA.

(A)

In 2010-2011, Pau was at the peak of his powers (before the Dallas mental collapse). He was named to the NBA all second team and was an All-Star.

This season Gasol has made 33.9% of post up shots and averages .68 points per play, the worst in the NBA. Historically Gasol averages around .9 points per play in the post.

% of Post up plays

2010-2011 - 39.5% (of total plays)
    2011-2012 - 28.7%
    2012-2013 - 23.0%
    2013-2014 - 36.2%

As you can see, 36.2% of all Pau's shots are coming in the post. The fact that only 33.9% of his shots are going in is the real problem here, not D'Antoni.

(B)

D'Antoni recently told reporters that Pau just has to work harder and he is absolutely correct. I'll give Pau some credit where no else is doing and say that he has stepped up his defensive rebounding this season, but the offensive end is where he struggles again.

Pau is not getting easy opportunities like he has done so frequently in the past (like tip ins, layups, cuts to the basket, etc).

Here are the % of plays in which Pau has cut to the basket over the past 4 seasons.

Cuts to the Basket

2010-2011 - 15.1%
    2011-2012 - 14.7%
    2012-2013 - 11.8%
    2013-2014 - 9.8%

As you can see, Pau has gone from 15.1% to 9.8% a significant decrease in movement and energy.

The other half of Pau needing to work harder comes on the offensive boards, where Pau has only scored 15 points this season from offensive rebounds. In contrast, Jordan Hill has scored 54 points.

Here are Pau's offensive rebound rates in relation to his total plays this season, as you can see below, Pau's offensive rebounding rate has dipped to under 1/3 of what it was previously.

Rebound %

2010-2011 - 10.3%
    2011-2012 - 10.2%
    2012-2013 - 9.8%
    2013-2014 - 3.2%
    Last edited by jsthornton7; 12-16-2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Grammar

vCash
    Yeah I think we all know that Pau isn't playing well

vCash
    Glad you knew all that. Thank you for your insightful comment.

vCash
    Trade him for Lowry and a pick or two. Maybe get ny involved. He can not play under this structure. Or maybe Kobe could save his a r s again?
    The future?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    Glad you knew all that. Thank you for your insightful comment.
    Great find js, numbers don't lie.

Too bad croonie is gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by New Power House View Post
    Trade him for Lowry and a pick or two. Maybe get ny involved. He can not play under this structure. Or maybe Kobe could save his a r s again?
    Kobe already tried to save him during last game, with all those passes in gasol's prefered spots, but even with Kobe's help he found a way to shoot 6-18 and turn the ball over 6 times........

vCash
    Of course it's not Dantoni's fault that Pau is playing like a freaking potato.

Anybody that actually believed Pau not getting any touches in the post either has never watched a Lakers game this season or needs a big fat reality check and realize that Pau is a total scrub now.

The Lakers really need to pull the trigger into getting Chandler and Shumpert while James Dolan is desperate.

My reaction if the Lakers get a top 5 pick this year.

vCash
    Lol, i think Hellcrooner was only temp banned.

But, yeah I think the major problem for Pau based on these stats is fitness. The guy just isn't in the same shape. He isn't moving around enough on offense and it shows in his lack of post moves this season.

Pau used to have some fakes and a quick first step to get past his defender. Now he just goes straight at the basket without thinking to fake first.

vCash
    It's all about the effort.

lakers4sho | Chavacano | EricBallsachs | Avenged24 | still1ballin | GREATNESS ONE | Chacarron
    LakersMaster24 | KB-Pau-DH2012 | 8kobe24 | championships | Lakers+Giants | LakerShow
    AussieLaker | YouCan'tBeatLA

vCash
    this whole team is a mess

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kobe24-TJ19- View Post
    this whole team is a mess
    Blame the FO.
    2016 : KKK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mave1002 View Post
    Blame the FO.
    I have given up on them

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    Lol, i think Hellcrooner was only temp banned.

But, yeah I think the major problem for Pau based on these stats is fitness. The guy just isn't in the same shape. He isn't moving around enough on offense and it shows in his lack of post moves this season.

Pau used to have some fakes and a quick first step to get past his defender. Now he just goes straight at the basket without thinking to fake first.
    Part of the problem too is that the guy is delusional and never takes responsibility or acknowledges that there's a problem. Just like when he gets burned on defense he points at his team mates, and when he fails on offense, he looks at the referees. We have all seen Kobe admit after games that he has played "like ****". On the other hand, Gasol basically says two things (in English and in Spanish), that things are just what they are and that tomorrow is another day and we'll see what happens. Then, when there are rumors out there of him being traded, he acts all indignant, shocked, and hurt, as if he believes he did nothing wrong!! I don't think he thinks he's as bad as we all think he is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leather Balls View Post
    Part of the problem too is that the guy is delusional and never takes responsibility or acknowledges that there's a problem. Just like when he gets burned on defense he points at his team mates, and when he fails on offense, he looks at the referees. We have all seen Kobe admit after games that he has played "like ****". On the other hand, Gasol basically says two things (in English and in Spanish), that things are just what they are and that tomorrow is another day and we'll see what happens. Then, when there are rumors out there of him being traded, he acts all indignant, shocked, and hurt, as if he believes he did nothing wrong!! I don't think he thinks he's as bad as we all think he is.
    Very good point, so true, I even heard him saying he'll prove people he's still elite in this league few weeks ago.

Yeah he used the word elite, averaging 14.5pts at 42%FG and being torched defensively every single night.

vCash
    Look, I think this is the year Pau gets traded. It makes too much sense. He is expiring, he still has value, and we can absorb salary for next season, which is what Toronto is trying to do with the Knicks.

They trade Lowry, take back some salary for next year and get NY's 1st rounder. Was supposedly a done deal until the media found out about it and complained about NY giving away another draft pick lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast