Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

what kind of message are the knicks sending to the 2015 free agents?

I was listening to the radio and one of the analysis said something that kinda struck me. He said..
    " if the knicks are going to just clear house especially if there going to include Anthony in any house cleaning .
    wouldnt that send a message to other star free agents that the knicks are a dysfunctional organization and to just stay far away as possible. ".?

I heard this and i thought...man....like ..who would want to come to this team ?
    Even after only 20 games or so into the season and this team has fallen apart and is a social media joke...
    the owner is nuts, the coach is clueless ,and stubborn. . The fans are ruthless when you dont produce (not a bad thing btw )
    and who in there right mind would wana be a part of a rebuild process on a fortune 500 team that is being run like the bobcats ...
    were more of embarrassment than we were 3 or 5 yrs ago...
    i dont think there are any max players out there who are saying "hey, I'd love to play for ny in 2015..."
    we probably killed ever chance we have to produce a selling point to the free agent class of 2015 .....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankstheknicks View Post
    I was listening to the radio and one of the analysis said something that kinda struck me. He said..
    " if the knicks are going to just clear house especially if there going to include Anthony in any house cleaning .
    wouldnt that send a message to other star free agents that the knicks are a dysfunctional organization and to just stay far away as possible. ".?

I heard this and i thought...man....like ..who would want to come to this team ?
    Even after only 20 games or so into the season and this team has fallen apart and is a social media joke...
    the owner is nuts, the coach is clueless ,and stubborn. . The fans are ruthless when you dont produce (not a bad thing btw )
    and who in there right mind would wana be a part of a rebuild process on a fortune 500 team that is being run like the bobcats ...
    were more of embarrassment than we were 3 or 5 yrs ago...
    i dont think there are any max players out there who are saying "hey, I'd love to play for ny in 2015..."
    we probably killed ever chance we have to produce a selling point to the free agent class of 2015 .....
    As long as there is money and spotlight players will come.

vCash
    Yea but....teams like miami ,LA, will have cap room also..if you had to pic as a max player i dont think you come to ny.
    We have to put soo much effort in making the cold winters a non factor to just think about coming to ny....
    now add a dysfunctional owner and add all the drama..

vCash
    We've had this problem for some time. That said, having a dysfunctional owner isn't enough on it's own to completely deter a Star from coming to the Knicks.

Free Agents look at prospective teams as a Risk/Reward kind of deal. What are the risks of joining? What are the potential rewards? That risk/reward changes from year to year depending upon the team we field, the management/coaching, the roster, and our seasonal performance.

Last off season FA's could look at the Knicks and do an easy Pro/Con

Pro
    -54 wins. Legitimate play off team
    -Melo/Chandler. 2 Legitimate all star caliber players
    -Mike Woodson. Liked by the team.
    -Glen Grunwald. 13 year veteran GM. Makes the team more predictable and stable.
    -Huge media market, so good for raising brand profile and endorsements
    -Solidly performing roster with veteran experience.

Cons
    -James Dolan is a whack job. Prone to being an idiot.
    -Can't pay much due to cap space issues. Amare Stoudemire perpetually injured tying up $22.5M in cap space.
    -Minimal assets to trade to improve roster

Now compare that with this year...

Pro
    -Melo/Chandler. 2 Legitimate all star caliber players
    -Huge media market, so good for raising brand profile and endorsements
    -Amare tying up $22.5M in cap space, but is looking like he can play some meaningful minutes.

Cons
    -7 wins. 7-16. Struggling to be get out of the lottery, but no 2014 pick.
    -Current GM with zero experience. Fired the 13 year Veteran GM 2 weeks before the season. Front office is novice and unstable.
    -Mike Woodson, liked by the team but his job is in jeopardy. Who knows who the coach will be next season.
    -James Dolan is a whack job. Prone to being an idiot.
    -Chandler recovering from a broken leg.
    -Lost all veteran experience on roster, and current roster is underperforming. JR, Shumpert, and Felton are all having terrible seasons.
    -Can't pay much due to cap space issues
    -Minimal assets to trade to improve roster

Right now I suspect most high impact FA's wouldn't touch the Knicks with a 100 foot pole.

However, if you clear house I don't think it would be *worse* than it is now. At least if you have a rebuilding team, you have some daylight at the end of the tunnel.

There are players that might take a chance to play in a big media market like NY *IF* they see a future being built. And if the team is positioned right by 2016, there's quite a few interesting FA's that will be coming onto the market.

IF they can get Melo to stay, cleaning house isn't a terrible idea. If you could get rid of Chandler for a center like Asik (younger and lower cap hit of $8.3M) and clear Amare you have 2 good starting pieces.

If you can't get Melo to stay, now is the time to trade him for anything and everything you can get. Then develop/trade/draft and hopefully you're in decent shape to get a star or two in 2016-2018.
    J.R. Smith: "They were pretty much scoring at will. Especially my guy. I don't know what the hell I was doing on defense."

Raymond Felton : "The play was give the ball to Melo."

vCash
    Knicks fans really wrote the guide on being a self loathing fan. We're fine bro, you give players too much credit. We're still 1 of like 4 teams that provide the quickest route to becoming rich and a household name. Things could be so much worse. Try being a Bucks fan, see how much trouble they have in attracting big names
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    In the words of my favorite axiom: Garbage in, garbage out.

vCash
    I don't see this as an issue.

vCash
    This is nothing new. No one's wanted to come to NY to win for a while, remember how the knicks struck out on lebron, wade, and the rest of that free agent class and instead overpaid for uninsured glass knees? Remember how melo wouldn't wait for free agency to come to NYC to join gallo/chandler/mosgoz/etc because the knicks couldn't offer the super-max unless they gutted the core and traded for him? The knicks haven't been able to attract stars who want to win a ring for NYC, just guys with dollar signs in their eyes and unless the management shows a commitment to winning through smart moves, loyalty, and god forbid, PATIENCE, it's pretty much become the isiah years all over again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix3132 View Post
    This is nothing new. No one's wanted to come to NY to win for a while, remember how the knicks struck out on lebron, wade, and the rest of that free agent class and instead overpaid for uninsured glass knees? Remember how melo wouldn't wait for free agency to come to NYC to join gallo/chandler/mosgoz/etc because the knicks couldn't offer the super-max unless they gutted the core and traded for him? The knicks haven't been able to attract stars who want to win a ring for NYC, just guys with dollar signs in their eyes and unless the management shows a commitment to winning through smart moves, loyalty, and god forbid, PATIENCE, it's pretty much become the isiah years all over again.
    I think you hit it right on the nail my friend. ..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix3132 View Post
    Unfortunately, this is accurate. For all the talk about us being a destination team, it took us bidding against ourselves to get Amar'e, gutting the team to get Melo, and missing out on Kobe, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh. I don't see New York as a destination so long as ownership is such a farce.

vCash
    I think the Knick fan is worrying too much about the current status of the team. Yes we're 7-16 but there are only two teams in the Eastern Conference over .500, which means we are still in the race.

Our first goal is to get back in the playoff picture. Hopefully, we go on a little run and get back to .500. I think that should be our first concern rather than worrying about who's coming to New York in 2015. Been there, done that.

vCash
    I think the organizations antics won't sit right with some freeagents. Guys like Lebron and melo for that matter gotta look at this and wonder why an organization would do the things they do. The Knicks are ready to trade the potential of shump instead of cutting Chris smith and signing someone to help.