Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

J.R. disrespected Woodson

Remember J.R.'s one shot attempt against Boston? That lame excuse that he was trying to get other players involved? Well, here you go:
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Knicks coach Mike Woodson, J.R. Smith get into heated exchange before one-shot night

According to a team source, Woodson admonished Smith for poor shot selection during the Bulls game and then became upset over something Smith said on the bench. Smith’s response to Woodson’s coaching lesson was to attempt one shot in 27 minutes against the Celtics.

By Frank Isola / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 10:51 PM
    Updated: Saturday, December 14, 2013, 11:14 PM

J.R. Smith’s self-imposed freeze-out during Friday’s loss to the Boston Celtics came one day after Smith and head coach Mike Woodson exchanged heated words following Wednesday’s win over the Chicago Bulls, the Daily News has learned.

According to a team source, Woodson admonished Smith for poor shot selection during the Bulls game and then became upset over something Smith said on the bench. Woodson waited until afterward to express his disappointment with Smith’s attitude and reminded the volatile shooting guard that he’s been his strongest advocate for the past two seasons.

“Mike said that after all I’ve done for you I can’t have you talking back to me like that,” the source claimed. The same source added that Smith made a lewd comment that angered Woodson.

During Thursday’s practice, Woodson used the game film from the win over the Bulls to demonstrate moments when Smith forced shots when he could have passed. Smith’s response to Woodson’s coaching lesson was to attempt one shot in 27 minutes against the Boston Celtics.

Prior to Friday, Smith was averaging 11.6 shots per game over 16 games. Smith’s first and only shot attempt came in the fourth quarter when the Knicks were outscored 22-13. Smith, the Knicks’ third-leading scorer, finished with just three points.

When asked about Smith taking just one shot, Woodson told reporters, “I don’t know what that’s about.”

For his part, Smith insisted that he was trying to be a playmaker, not a troublemaker. In fact, Smith made it sound as if he was simply following Woodson’s orders.

“I was going into the game trying to make opportunities for my teammates to excel,” he said. “We need playmakers, more than just scorers. My job is to get my teammates the easiest buckets we can and we’re not getting those, so I take it upon myself to sacrifice my shot to get the other guys going. And it might not be the right way, it might be the right way, I don’t know.”

Smith acknowledged that it’s uncommon for him to take just one shot. When asked if that had ever happened before, Smith replied: “Uh… nah. I don’t think so.”

Smith, the NBA’s reigning Sixth Man of the Year, has yet to regain his form after having knee surgery in July. He was also suspended the first five games for violating the NBA’s drug policy. Physically, Smith isn’t close to being where he was last season and his frustration revealed itself on Wednesday.

Smith and Woodson have had a love-hate relationship similar to the one Jeff Van Gundy shared with John Starks. Van Gundy would be brutally honest with Starks, who normally responded to Van Gundy’s demands by cursing under his breath and leaving everything he had on the floor. Under Van Gundy, Starks was named Sixth Man of the Year in 1996-97.

Smith became Woodson’s pet project two years ago, starting with the head coach demanding that Smith not wear sagging pants to work. This year, their relationship is being tested amid all the losing and the prospect of Woodson being in danger of being replaced.

Two weeks ago, Woodson responded to Smith’s claim that it’s time to push the panic button by joking that he needed to punch Smith in the mouth. Behind the scenes, Woodson was not happy with Smith’s “panic button” comment, which may be the reason Smith conveniently repeated the line after Friday’s loss.

“My panic button has been on,” Smith said.

There is a feeling that Smith’s relationship with Woodson changed in October when the head coach admitted to reporters that Chris Smith’s chances of making the roster were enhanced by being J.R.’s younger brother.

Woodson wanted to add an established veteran to the roster as opposed to the younger Smith, who is currently on the Knicks roster but playing for Erie of the D-League.

Woodson’s comments only fueled the notion that J.R. Smith’s decision to re-sign last summer included a handshake agreement that Chris would also make the team. It also put Chris Smith in an awkward position of defending his place on the team to fans, media and even opposing players.

J.R. Smith seems to have been affected the most by the departures of veterans Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Kurt Thomas and Marcus Camby. Last month, he cited the Knicks’ lack of leadership as a troubling issue.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1548120
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    Alas, the chickens have finally come home to roost. Administered some of the medicine Woodson has given Iman and others, not only did J.R. reject it, he spit it back in Woodson's face. This is what playing favorites gets you, especially when you are dealing with ingrates.

Considering J.R.'s history of immaturity, it is almost a certain that he tanked against Boston in an attempt to damage Woodson. That being the case, trade this cancer now before he loses all value.
    Last edited by Knick4Knack; 12-15-2013 at 01:03 AM.

vCash
    Man JR really pisses me off. I'm not a fan of Woodson at all, but JR needs to take a hike if he's going to keep acting like a 12 year old. He's an ungrateful spoiled brat.
    The Future!

vCash
    Who would have guessed that this team was gona be this much of a joke.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankstheknicks View Post
    Who would have guessed that this team was gona be this much of a joke.....
    I certainly would not have. I thought this team, at the least, had a deep playoff run in it. Instead, the season has all but derailed.

vCash
    And we wonder where shump gets it from!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seizabmc View Post
    Woodson has been riding Shump all along. I find this interesting because the guy he gave the longest leash to basically took a dump on two years of mentoring.

vCash
    So it took JR basically tanking a game to make a point for Woodson to do anything about his poor play. Awesome coaching, moron.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seizabmc View Post
    Shump is a grown *** man. If he's acting like a ***** that's his own fault. He's not following anyone

#TapeTwoOne....Oh Gawd

vCash
    JR is an *******. As much as Woodson supports him he responds like that? JR wasn't even happy when his teammates beat the Hawks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IDunknown View Post
    JR is an *******. As much as Woodson supports him he responds like that? JR wasn't even happy when his teammates beat the Hawks.
    Woodson had better start wearing a breastplate.

vCash
    We need to blow it up

KNICKS PATS SOX

vCash
    So why is Woodson playing JR?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    So why is Woodson playing JR?
    Because JR is emotionally fragile and a game-long benching might completely undo whatever goodwill remains between the two. And, frankly, he doesn't have the luxury of benching top players right now. The team is near the bottom of the standings and yet the FO is expecting a playoff run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by meloman1592 View Post
    Shump is a grown *** man. If he's acting like a ***** that's his own fault. He's not following anyone
    Shumpert is a class act compared to JR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Because JR is emotionally fragile and a game-long benching might completely undo whatever goodwill remains between the two. And, frankly, he doesn't have the luxury of benching top players right now. The team is near the bottom of the standings and yet the FO is expecting a playoff run.
    With the emergence of Timmy Jr., Woody has the luxury of playing Smith less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast