Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Miguel Tejada Suspended from the Dominican Winter League for the Rest of the Season

Now comes news from MLB's Jesse Sanchez — with an assist to Dionisio Soldevila — that Tejada recently ran into more trouble after admitting to purchasing stock in the Gigantes del Cibao Dominican league franchise while serving as an active player with Aguilas Cibaenas.

That falls under two different categories from what we understand. The first would be 'conflict of interest.' The second is 'illegal,' which would explain why the league has elected to suspend Tejada for the remainder of their season.

According to Soldevila's report — which was partially translated by Hardball Talk's Bill Baer — Tejada's illegal purchase actually came three years ago when he bought a 72% stake in the company that oversees the baseball franchise for the city of San Francisco de Macoris. For three years, Tejada has essentially been playing both sides of the field when those teams met. Apparently there's no evidence he changed his approach or performed at a lower level in those games, but it's still a bit surprising it took this long for the purchase to come to light.

Consider that Tejada was already handed a 105-game suspension by MLB in August for testing positive for amphetamines. That means he was given season-ending suspensions by two different baseball leagues in the same season.

That's not something you see often — or ever.

It's actually an incomprehensible new low for a guy who seemingly can't keep his name out of headlines for screwing up.
    Source- http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...9284--mlb.html

vCash
    It's not like it's a huge deal, and doesn't affect anything over here.

He broke the rules, but it's whatever. I don't see the affect on the MLB or really the player here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    It's not like it's a huge deal, and doesn't affect anything over here.

He broke the rules, but it's whatever. I don't see the affect on the MLB or really the player here.
    Really Jeffy? This is a forum where you share your thoughts, ideas, insights on any news concerning MLB players.

Miguel Tejada's not some nobody. He's a prominent baseball player whose had a great career in the majors. Many people have watched him growing up, and followed him through the years.

For some of us who wanted to see him try to extend his career next year, this all but kills any chance of him returning to baseball next year. He was already 39 years old with a 64 game suspension looming, but this leak seals the deal. In this day and age, I believe It is truly something special when a player continues to play through his late 30's and early 40's..

This news also sheds light on the type of person he is. You don't buy shares of opposing teams that you play its just not right.. Maybe Professional Baseball in the Dominican Republic is not as organized as it is in the United States and he was manipulating the system but he shouldn't have done that.
    Last edited by xabial; 12-14-2013 at 05:49 PM.

vCash
    Legality issues aside, it'd be awesome to buy a major stake in a rival team. You could get their uniforms changed to something flattering to you & replace their ads with your team's logos.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xabial View Post
    Really Jeffy? This is a forum where you share your thoughts, ideas, insights on any news concerning MLB players.
    Well, in your OP you didn't offer any thoughts, ideas or insights. You just quoted the post.

You posted information, Jeffy responded with his thoughts, ideas and insights.

I'm, kinda, with Jeffy on this one. It says that Tejada bought shares of a company that oversees a rival team. I have no idea how much of that company's business in the baseball team. The baseball team may be a very small part of that company's business - or it may be the majority of it.

I agree that it shouldn't be legal. But, at least now, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that Tejada was up to no good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Well, in your OP you didn't offer any thoughts, ideas or insights. You just quoted the post.

You posted information, Jeffy responded with his thoughts, ideas and insights.

I'm, kinda, with Jeffy on this one. It says that Tejada bought shares of a company that oversees a rival team. I have no idea how much of that company's business in the baseball team. The baseball team may be a very small part of that company's business - or it may be the majority of it.

I agree that it shouldn't be legal. But, at least now, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that Tejada was up to no good.
    See... there are parts of your postings that offer insight and wisdom...

The amount of stock. .the controlling interest.. the idea that Miguel Tejada cannot remain a professional in pursuit of his craft presumes old world thoughts that have little, if any, foundation in truth or proof.

If there is evidence to the contrary of what I'm suggesting, please show any instance where a stock holder of a baseball business was able to influence or created a measurable conflict of interest to the team (that he did NOT have stock in) that was detrimental or deleterious to the pursuit of that business' operation..

Old world thinking when liability is limited by scarce ownership divisions in the form of stock is not the issue. Being able to prove a real conflict exists is the issue. Presuming Miguel Tejada would have influenced the performance of a competing baseball team is disrespectful and unfounded to him and his status as a professional.

If the intent is to remove the opportunity to wrongly influence the performance of the baseball team (like the Robinson brothers did nearly a century and a quarter ago), then there should be no actual conflict of interest in the form of a public offering of ownership in any way for any club. Any schlub could purchase an interest (or initiate a proxy) in a team's parent company and denigrate it's performance under this current thinking..

vCash
    But on the bright side the league doesn't care about the steroids he is taking. Lol

vCash
    I remember him and big unit on front of MVP baseball

I meese you Se๑or Rodriguez