Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why the lottery??

Should the NBA get rid of the lottery??
    Never made much sense to me on why they are the only sport to have the lottery? Worst team should get first pick simple a that.

Or maybe reduce it to just the worst 5 teams get in the lottery?

vCash
    It's to prevent tanking. Otherwise every team would lose every game just to get a guaranteed shot at Wiggins or Parker.
    NBA has players who can change a franchise fire a decade. The other sports have more parity with regards to its stars

vCash
    ^pretty flawless explanation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by king4day View Post
    It's to prevent tanking. Otherwise every team would lose every game just to get a guaranteed shot at Wiggins or Parker.
    NBA has players who can change a franchise fire a decade. The other sports have more parity with regards to its stars
    Don't think I could top this.
    The real 99% are idiots and sheep when you post give me a reason to believe you are part of the 1%.

vCash
    Yeah. What king said.

In basketball a top draft pick is worth almost infinitely more than a top pick is worth in other sports. "Tanking" has far more significant and impacting ramifications, and a top pick can single-handily change the entire landscape of a league. Curbing blatant tanking...not most of the stuff that's called "tanking" nowadays and at this point in a season...is a strong objective to have. And the lottery seeks to do just that. It's not perfect, but it's necessary.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash

Why the lottery??

So you think it actually prevents tanking??

Maybe flat out tanking yes but I don't think it fully does.

I also think it's part of the reason a lot of teams get stuck in mediocrity in the nba. Teams get leapfrogged by better teams.

And sometimes the top pick is a gamble in it's self.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CELTICS4LYFE View Post

I also think it's part of the reason a lot of teams get stuck in mediocrity in the nba. Teams get leapfrogged by better teams.

Depends what you call tanking...

Deliberately telling coaches and players to intentionally lose games? Yeah, I think it helps significantly. And that's the form of "tanking" that's bad for the league.

Doing what Orlando, Boston, Philly, Utah etc. are doing, which I prefer to call "proper rebuilding" or "bottoming out"...then absolutely not. It's not going to stop teams from doing that. But I don't use the word "tanking" to derogatorily describe them. People love describing every lose those bad teams have at this point in the season "tanking", but it's not. It's just a case of bad teams looking to rebuild losing games. And those teams are all doing the right things by "tanking the season" or whatever dumb thing we all wanna call it.

And you're gonna have teams stuck in mediocrity limbo regardless. Sure, there are cases when bad teams get bad breaks...but there are also cases were just-slightly-worse teams get good ones and are able to vault out of mediocrity as well. It's VERY rare for a good team to be benefited mightily by the lottery. The magnitude of suckiness doesn't differ much from the worst team to let's say the 4th or 5th worst team. Teams that really need it are going to be getting these top picks almost always.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash

If you had it open completely then there would never be incentive to tank. It would change the entire competitive market because all 1st round picks are worth the same. I don't think you'd see as many teams willing to trade their 1st round picks to get rid of contracts nor as many teams willing to absorb a 20m albatross because there's no fruit for tanking. But like you said the leapfrogging would make this unfair and would probably screw a team for every team it helped greatly.

Maybe the lottery needs a little flattening out. Equal chance to all non-playoff teams or equal chance to bottom 10. The lottery prevents competitive tanking, but teams still like the 20+% shot at #1. Doesnt the worst team have like a 70% shot at a top 3 pick and a 100% shot at a top 4?

The 16 team playoff scene in the NHL works because the 8th seed has a legitimate chance of winning every year. In the NBA the lottery/playoffs creates a purgatory where nobody really wants to be in the back of the lottery or the bottom of the playoffs.

It shouldn't be a surprise that the NBA is polarizing and players are pooling at the top while GMs purge at the bottom. The worst spot to be is in the middle. The bottom half of the lottery generally has no shot at the 1-2 players a year that can change a franchise and the 5-8 seeds in the playoffs have no shot at competing (generous saying there are 8 title contenders). That's half the league.

I think equal chance to all non-playoff teams is the best way to go. Maybe random 1-5 and then follow the standings. This means you either make the playoffs or you have an equal shot at #1-5. When you don't get rewarded for degree of suckage, and everybody has the same goals and rewards, there is now more competition all over. I think it would slow down player movement & therefore sloppy contracts as well.

Just my .02

vCash
    LOL, I have a weird feeling that the team that wins the draft lottery this year, will be one of the teams at the very back of the lotto (past 10), or Cleveland again
    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

vCash

The only way to prevent tanking completely is to make it so that every team has an equal chance at the pick, so there's no benefit of getting a bad pick. But that goes against the whole principle of the worst teams getting higher picks in order to encourage parity.
    You have to either have a system where teams get some reward for bad records and therefore tank, or a system where bad teams don't get the top picks and some teams just suck forever (more so than now). The lottery mitigates tanking quite a bit, so it's a good middle ground, imo. It could be better, but right now it's much better than just not having a lottery.

Also, stopping teams stuck in the middle from getting leapfrogged would mean keeping the bottom teams at the bottom, and that's not what anyone wants - you want a system where any team can get to the top.

vCash

A lot of teams also get stuck in mediocrity because of poor management and bad drafting. The Cavs are a prime recent example. They've had several chances at high picks and most haven't worked out, save for Irving. Thompson, Waiters and Bennett aren't results of being leapfrogged by better teams, but a result of choosing pieces that haven't worked out. It's rare that teams move ahead by much anyway. For every time a franchise moves into the top 3 in which they didn't have a bottom 3 record, there are 10 instances where the numbers work itself out. So you can't really blame it on the lottery as much as you can on the fact that some franchises are run poorly, while teams like OKC, Golden State and Washington have done decent jobs with prospects.

vCash
    Lottery creates additional revenue and excitement for the league, it's not going anywhere.

(NHL also has a lottery)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by king4day View Post
    Pretty much this...

#ERMAHGERD

vCash
    Every lottery team should have an equal chance at the top pick. That would help stop some of the tanking and also you wouldn't see as many teams stuck in mediocrity for so long. You may see some teams at the back end of the lottery tanking to stay out of the playoffs but it wouldn't be at bad as it is now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal827:27605883
    LOL, I have a weird feeling that the team that wins the draft lottery this year, will be one of the teams at the very back of the lotto (past 10), or Cleveland again
    I have a feeling the Knicks are going to win it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast