Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    400
    vCash
    1500

    Biggest problem with defense

    My activity on this board has been rather limited this season however after watching the garbage we put on the field Thursday I felt it was time to make some comments. First: many of you made this comment last year already but I really see the problem exposed this year is a true MLB. A guy that can fly and plug holes at LOS not make tackles 6 or 7 yards downfield. Also a guy who can "coach" on the field which leads me to point two. A lack of leadership on defense. Woody obviously has not been doing that which may be biggest reason his playing time has fell off. I love the guy but I question his on field "coaching". Champ is usually that guy but we all know us situation. We truly lack that on field guy ( see Al Wilson) on defense. Injuries have absolutely killed us. I understand they are part of game and every team deals with them but I'm not sure to the extent that our defense has dealt with this season. I'm also worried about our mental state at this point. The cracks have been exposed and it now seems like flood gates are about to open. The lack of confidence in the defense also impacts how offense plays. It is a complete 180 from Tebow's time when defense had to play lights out knowing the offense was probably going to struggle. We have three weeks to get this ship back on track or we will face another disappointing off season full of questions

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NORTH DAKOTA
    Posts
    808
    vCash
    1500
    oh man where to start, coaching, DB's lack of pressure on the QB. at times we show some flash but then it disappears. if we don't fix it and fix it soon, or at least patch it up the best we can, we are screwed in the playoffs. del rio needs to have a "come to jesus" talk with himself and be the defensice coach we thought we had in him. like a lot of people are saying is that with vick down our run d has gone to ****.
    [IMG][/IMG]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    90,193
    vCash
    1500
    Biggest problem was the pass rush coming in.....and nothing really changed at this point. It doesn't seem JDR's schemes can create havoc on the QB. How many times have we seen blitzes completely picked up??

    For a good portion of the season, I really believed the secondary was getting too much hate. We have a talented group and they have bailed us out quite often...in fact most of our sacks are coverage sacks. Now, our secondary is struggling (injuries and rookie growing pains) and our pass rush still isn't any better. Von needs help..that's just it. Phillips is just filling the role of Dumervil..he'll pick up sacks every now and then but he's not a consistent force and can be blocked by 1 guy often.

    Before anyone says we're "missing Dumervil" let me add that he's a SITUATIONAL pass rusher for the Ravens in a 3-4 OLB spot. His most productive spot. If he was still with us..he would be playing a ton more snaps and our run D would suffer because of it.

    I was living with the lack of pass rush because our run defense was legitimately stout. With Vick out..you can clearly tell that this d-line just can't get that consistent push up front. Now, we're getting hit double time.

    Another consistent theme is JDR's lack of adjustments (or too late of adjustments). Champ was getting grilled by the faster Smith in the play-off game time and time again...yet he was still on him. Webster was getting grilled time and time again..yet JDR waited till mid 3rd (after SD went up 2 TD's) to take out Webster...and to no surprise..the chargers had to work harder through the air.

    I've said it before bronco fans are not the only ones that are spoiled with PFM. The coaching staff is as well. Particularly on the defensive end. Is JDR really scheming to not let his opponents score/create havoc? Or is he just going by with the minimum to put it range for PFM to do his work?? Something to think about...this defensive squad is more talented and deeper than last year..yet we haven't put together a solid game all around. Or in the words of Elway "haven't even scratched the surface"


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    90,193
    vCash
    1500
    I'll tell you what though..compared to last year at this time..we're actually getting adversity.

    We just cruised by winning 11 straight heading into the post-season and folks just labeling us automatic SB contenders...now the media is having a field day..

    Perfect.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Arvada, Colorado
    Posts
    17,608
    vCash
    500
    Biggest problem is continuity on defense. We have have a handful of starters out on injury. Then there's the bright idea to start benching starters who have been playing with the same 11 since training camp. Just in the secondary, Champ and Moore have been out for awhile. Then Ihenacho gets demoted. 3/4 players on defense are now playing together for the 1st time in a real, meaningful game. And then we see things like Keenan Allen running in on an easy TD cause a DB thought it was zone rather than man to man. It showed with very uncalled for penalties and complete confusion, but the defense didn't know what the **** it was doing. Then JDR essentially strips THE captain on our defense of the majority of his duties and essentially emasculates him in front of the team. With the best offense in the game, you don't give up 7-8 minute drives regularly if you're trying to win games.

    Perhaps I'm being too hard on JDR or assuming he has more impact on the defensive depth chart than he does, but the unnecessary roster shuffle on defense is what screwed the D imo last Thursday.
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,616
    vCash
    135000
    You are not being too hard on JDR I blame him the most, he runs this defense so fix it!! I also agree with BK in the fact that every time we blitz they pick it up.. Our only true play maker is Miller and he shows up for a while then no where.. I don't remember seeing Woodyard out there the last game, I had some beers so maybe I missed it but if he was in there I again missed it but if he wasn't than we need him. JDR really needs to get his **** together, you don't have the USC job and if you want a NFL job than this is your time!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,716
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudvayne91:27609530
    Biggest problem is continuity on defense. We have have a handful of starters out on injury. Then there's the bright idea to start benching starters who have been playing with the same 11 since training camp. Just in the secondary, Champ and Moore have been out for awhile. Then Ihenacho gets demoted. 3/4 players on defense are now playing together for the 1st time in a real, meaningful game. And then we see things like Keenan Allen running in on an easy TD cause a DB thought it was zone rather than man to man. It showed with very uncalled for penalties and complete confusion, but the defense didn't know what the **** it was doing. Then JDR essentially strips THE captain on our defense of the majority of his duties and essentially emasculates him in front of the team. With the best offense in the game, you don't give up 7-8 minute drives regularly if you're trying to win games.

    Perhaps I'm being too hard on JDR or assuming he has more impact on the defensive depth chart than he does, but the unnecessary roster shuffle on defense is what screwed the D imo last Thursday.
    Great post. Spot on.

    I said it before the game.... I didn't like benching players with 3 games left in the season. J mean I could see duke getting benched if it was huff replacing him, but it was Bolden? Bolden blows and we all know it.

    Really we need champ to play though. We need a leader in that secondary.

    And I know some of you guys aren't big fans of rahim, but our secondary got ten times worse without him in there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    1,890
    vCash
    1500
    The year PFM won a super bowl in Indy their DEF was absolutely terrible! They were missing Bob Sanders for almost the entire year. Sanders came back for the playoffs and they actually played fairly well and, of course, won the title. Hopefully Champ can have a similar impact on our defensive unit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    90,193
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Great post. Spot on.

    I said it before the game.... I didn't like benching players with 3 games left in the season. J mean I could see duke getting benched if it was huff replacing him, but it was Bolden? Bolden blows and we all know it.

    Really we need champ to play though. We need a leader in that secondary.

    And I know some of you guys aren't big fans of rahim, but our secondary got ten times worse without him in there.
    And some aren't big fans of Wolfe but our run D has gotten quite a bit worse without him in there..


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,716
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID:27619398
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Great post. Spot on.

    I said it before the game.... I didn't like benching players with 3 games left in the season. J mean I could see duke getting benched if it was huff replacing him, but it was Bolden? Bolden blows and we all know it.

    Really we need champ to play though. We need a leader in that secondary.

    And I know some of you guys aren't big fans of rahim, but our secondary got ten times worse without him in there.
    And some aren't big fans of Wolfe but our run D has gotten quite a bit worse without him in there..
    I completely agree. I'm not a huge fan of Wolfe, but Matthews was able to run wild on the outside. It's funny how the players that don't seem to make a big impact in the game when playing, leave the biggest holes when they're not there.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Hell on Earth- Missouri
    Posts
    6,643
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    I completely agree. I'm not a huge fan of Wolfe, but Matthews was able to run wild on the outside. It's funny how the players that don't seem to make a big impact in the game when playing, leave the biggest holes when they're not there.
    Has there been any updates on Wolfe's health? It has been really quiet, which is concerning.

    I really like the guys motor. He may not make a splash in the stats, but he is quite the presence.

    The lack of news really isn't good news.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    ND
    Posts
    400
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BRAVE KID View Post
    And some aren't big fans of Wolfe but our run D has gotten quite a bit worse without him in there..
    Exactly. And without him and Vick our lack of a strong MLB really shows. Those guys are not plugging gaps and it is exposing our lack of strong LB corps in the middle. It goes back to my original post about injuries absolutely killing us. Moore is another example. DRC has missed some time but not the extent of not having Miller for six games, losing Vick and Moore for season and now Wolfe for extended amount of time and let's be honest Bailey has essentially missed entire season as well. Our defense is a patchwork mess right now

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,972
    vCash
    1500
    Another problem, which applies mostly to Special Teams and Defense, is an absolute lack of discipline, which leads me to agree with what others have implied re: coaching. Ridiculous amount of penalties, the timing of which have been critical, broken/blown coverage, and DUMB penalties. I understand holding when the tradeoff is Manning getting blasted, but I don't think I've ever seen a game with 2x 12 men on the field penalties within such a short span of each other, the jump on 4th and 4 punt, and various other temper-related penalties, or taunting.

    Hate to say it, but the commentators mentioned that HOU has brought in a ref to work their practices and that it seemed to help that part of things out.
    Jerry West or Larry Bird? The discussion is over.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../birdje01.html

    Part of the GOAT team: Chamberlain, Bird, Duncan, Durrant, Ewing, Gervin.
    http://bkref.com/tiny/JIHaF

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,526
    vCash
    1500
    i actually believe that our def played better the first 6 weeks of the season without von and seemed to play alot harder after he went down this week, so i am not sure how much this hurts us, but we are going to find out
    Broncos fan since 1989C:\Documents and Settings\William\My Documents\My Pictures\william.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •