Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Is Matt Ryan overrated?

I think he's a solid, starting QB but people try to make him out to be this QB who has top 5 potential, and I don't see it.

Ever since he came into the league, he had a GREAT running game with Michael Turner absolutely destroying defenses and making defenses stack the box to stop him. Ryan, smartly, took advantage of that for all 5 years that Turner was in Atlanta. The Falcons FO got Ryan a freak in Julio Jones who can pretty much catch anything that's thrown within like 5-10 yards of him. And Roddy White has always been a beast as well.

2009 was Turner's arguably worst season when he was in his prime and guess what? ....that convenienltly was also Ryan's worst season as defenses stopped stacking the box to stop him and actually started to defend the pass.

Then in 2012, defenses were out to absolutely shut down Michael Turner every time they played Atlanta and Ryan took advantage of this by having the best season of his career.

Falcons get rid of Turner because he hit the age "31" in the past off season and "31" is seen as the age that RBs dwindle down plus Turner cost a lot. And since then, the Falcons offense has been absolute crap without Michael Turner.

You can tell me that injuries are why the Falcons offense is so bad, but what about before those injuries? Atlanta didn't start the season with injuries to Julio and Roddy White. They had an elite offense on paper before the season and yet with no good run game supporting Ryan, the Falcons offense played like ********.

Ryan's a guy we don't really talk about here...at least not nearly as much as Peyton, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Flacco, Kapernick, Cutler and now McCown lol so I thought it would be healthy to get some discussion on Matt Ryan.

What are your thoughts on Matt Ryan? Is he actually as good everyone thinks and says he is or has his game been heavily complimented a very good run game?

vCash
    Well, it would be almost impossible for him to be overrated since there's not actually much talk about him at the moment. No, there are other overrated quarterbacks, he's not one of them. His numbers are not bad at all. You talk about how the Falcons' offense looked before Julio got injured, well they scored 31 points against St. Louis, 23 at Miami, 23 against New England and 28 against the Jets. Ryan himself threw for 1649 yard in 5 games, 10 TDs-3 INTs. He was asked to throw the ball about 40 times per game, and his completion percentage went as high as 80%, against New York. He had good performances prior to Jones getting hurt and several others afterwards. After the bye week, without both Julio AND Roddy White, he threw for 273 yards, 3 TDs and no INT.

Overall, at his best, I'd say he's really close of being a top5 quarterback. Especially the Tony Romo/Philip Rivers fans should appreciate the fact that despite having no running game, a bad offensive line, a pretty horrible defense, his best receiver hurt and another one who's lost more than a step and was also injured this year, his numbers are still good.
    Last edited by Andrei00; 12-13-2013 at 08:40 AM.

vCash
    I'd say a little but not much. That online He has is awful. I might take the jags online over theres and that's with 2 backups starting at tackle spots.
    He's a top ten and arguably top 5.

The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

#InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei00 View Post
    Well, it would be almost impossible for him to be overrated since there's not actually much talk about him at the moment. No, there are other overrated quarterbacks, he's not one of them. His numbers are not bad at all. You talk about how the Falcons' offense looked before Julio got injured, well they scored 31 points against St. Louis, 23 at Miami, 23 against New England and 28 against the Jets. Ryan himself threw for 1649 yard in 5 games, 10 TDs-3 INTs. He was asked to throw the ball about 40 times per game, and his completion percentage went as high as 80%, against New York. He had good performances prior to Jones getting hurt and several others afterwards. After the bye week, without both Julio AND Roddy White, he threw for 273 yards, 3 TDs and no INT.

Overall, at his best, I'd say he's really close of being a top5 quarterback. Especially the Tony Romo/Philip Rivers fans should appreciate the fact that despite having no running game, a bad offensive line, a pretty horrible defense, his best receiver hurt and another one who's lost more than a step and was also injured this year, his numbers are still good.
    Good post. It's been an off year for that whole team.

vCash
    He's easily top 10. I don't think he's overrated.

vCash
    Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: **** yes

vCash
    Matt Ryan is really like a rich man's Andy Dalton. So if you think he's better than that, yes. Look at what he has done this year without Julio...what was that nickname some Falcons fans had for him? Matty Game Manager?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Matt Ryan is really like a rich man's Andy Dalton. So if you think he's better than that, yes. Look at what he has done this year without Julio...what was that nickname some Falcons fans had for him? Matty Game Manager?
    I thought it was Matty Ice?

vCash
    He's not really rated that high ATM so it's hard to say he's overrated. He's still in the top 15, I'd put him at 12 personally. He isn't losing games, that defense is.

vCash
    Atlanta's Off. Line has been mediocre at best since he's been there. And in that time frame, the ATL. defense has been even worse. Overrated? Maybe a little at the moment cuz everything went awry early this season.
    Put him on the market for the dozen or so teams that desperately need a QB. Then we'll see his value.

vCash
    I quit reading when I saw "Great running game" and Michael Turner in the same sentence.
    All I do is hit. I even hit your mother once. Yep, hit it good.

vCash
    Matt Ryan is a really poor man's Tom Brady. If they put the right **** around him, he could win. Though he's a little choke-ish for my taste.
    When I asked how a Manziel fan could bash Bridgewater's size.

Quote Originally Posted by flgatorsandjags View Post
    Manziel is shorter than Teddy but he has size 15 feet
    Yeah...it's that bad.

vCash
    Atlanta, much like Houston, will be right back in the thick of things next season, IMO.
    All I do is hit. I even hit your mother once. Yep, hit it good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    I think he's a solid, starting QB but people try to make him out to be this QB who has top 5 potential, and I don't see it.

Ever since he came into the league, he had a GREAT running game with Michael Turner absolutely destroying defenses and making defenses stack the box to stop him. Ryan, smartly, took advantage of that for all 5 years that Turner was in Atlanta. The Falcons FO got Ryan a freak in Julio Jones who can pretty much catch anything that's thrown within like 5-10 yards of him. And Roddy White has always been a beast as well.

2009 was Turner's arguably worst season when he was in his prime and guess what? ....that convenienltly was also Ryan's worst season as defenses stopped stacking the box to stop him and actually started to defend the pass.

Then in 2012, defenses were out to absolutely shut down Michael Turner every time they played Atlanta and Ryan took advantage of this by having the best season of his career.

Falcons get rid of Turner because he hit the age "31" in the past off season and "31" is seen as the age that RBs dwindle down plus Turner cost a lot. And since then, the Falcons offense has been absolute crap without Michael Turner.

You can tell me that injuries are why the Falcons offense is so bad, but what about before those injuries? Atlanta didn't start the season with injuries to Julio and Roddy White. They had an elite offense on paper before the season and yet with no good run game supporting Ryan, the Falcons offense played like ********.

Ryan's a guy we don't really talk about here...at least not nearly as much as Peyton, Brady, Brees, Wilson, Flacco, Kapernick, Cutler and now McCown lol so I thought it would be healthy to get some discussion on Matt Ryan.

What are your thoughts on Matt Ryan? Is he actually as good everyone thinks and says he is or has his game been heavily complimented a very good run game?
    I didn't see a lot of 8 or 9 in the box last year Turner just looked old, it wasn't like they were playing to crush the run and playing cover 0 or something out there. If anything, I'd say teams were playing to stop Ryan more than anything. And that season would be what I would call Turner's worst season by far, and with it, Ryan had the best year of his career.

vCash
    He got old too but defenses were still out to stop him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast