Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

In the Rule V Draft, the Texas Rangers select Russel Wilson?

In case your wondering, it is the Seahawks QB.

vCash
    http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/20...ll-draft.html/

Think he is a little busy at the moment being QB of a 11-2 Seahawks team but he was a multi sport athlete in college. This happens pretty often at least in terms of guys being drafted in multiple sports.

vCash
    My wondering? I wondered what I did with that.

Seriously though, what? Why? What's the point of doing that?
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/20...ll-draft.html/

Think he is a little busy at the moment being QB of a 11-2 Seahawks team but he was a multi sport athlete in college. This happens pretty often at least in terms of guys being drafted in multiple sports.
    But this long after they're an established star in a major professional sport?
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    But this long after they're an established star in a major professional sport?
    Publicity? I mean it's a fallback option if his QB career goes south.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.

vCash
    Get off Russ Texas!

vCash

rangers select Seahawks QB in rule five draft

Pretty cool i thought. Two sport athlete here, be nice to see him in both sports at same time in his life even though I doubt it happens.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Could Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson be a two-sport star? Does he want to play baseball after his NFL career is over?

The Texas Rangers made a surprise pick in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft, normally an event that simply ends baseball's winter meetings with little fanfare. But on Thursday at Walt Disney World, the Rangers decided they wanted some of the Wilson magic on their team and selected the former second baseman, taking him from the Colorado Rockies system. It cost them $12,000 to do so and he goes on the club's restricted list because he's in the NFL.

The Rangers know Wilson is settling in to a successful career as the signal-caller for a Super Bowl contender. But they like Wilson's character and athletic ability, and even if baseball isn't in Wilson's future, the Rangers wants him around. If Wilson is willing, perhaps that includes going to spring training in Arizona next year.

"We talked about that as a group," Rangers assistant general manager A.J. Preller said. "Everything you see and read about him and seeing him play on Sundays ... you hear about the work ethic, the person. I think that's going to be a positive message for all of our players in our system, our coaches, everybody to have somebody like that around.

"At the end of the day, if he decides it's not something he wants to come back and do full time, just having him around, having him talk to a group, I think there's definitely positives in all that."

The Rangers scouted Wilson in high school and college and considered him an athletic second baseman. Preller described someone who has "good hands, [is a] solid runner and a guy that we thought before the draft that could bounce around to different positions."

"We feel like if he ever decided he wanted to come back and play again, he'd be a guy that we'd want in our system with us and see him develop," Preller said. "The biggest thing that intrigued us on Russell from afar is the makeup. I think the way he goes about his business, the professionalism, the competitor, [that's] the message that we try to preach throughout our organization.

"At the end of the day, he obviously has a lot bigger things that he's working on right now and we don't want to interrupt that aspect of it, but if at some point down the road he decides he wants to do the baseball thing again, we felt like it would be a positive to have him with us."

Preller said the next step is to reach out to Wilson and see how he feels about baseball and whether he'd have interest in working out with the team or coming to spring training.

Wilson was drafted in the fourth round of the 2010 draft by Colorado (he was also drafted in the 41st round by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2007 draft out of high school but opted to go to North Carolina State) and signed with the Rockies. But once he received nearly $3 million from the Seahawks, he had to give part of his $200,000 signing bonus back.

Wilson hit .229 with five homers and 19 stolen bases (he also struck out 118 times) in Class A with Colorado in parts of the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

The Rangers' scouting department believes strongly in acquiring athletes and aren't hesitant to draft some that play other sports. Texas drafted running back Ricky Williams in the Rule 5 draft in 1998, even though he was likely headed for the NFL. They've also selected Riley Cooper and most recently Jameis Winston, who is the heavy favorite to win the Heisman Trophy this weekend and will lead his Florida State team against Auburn in the Vizio BCS National Championship next month.
    Last edited by chi-townlove1; 12-12-2013 at 11:09 AM.

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/...l-wilson-draft

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Could Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson be a two-sport star? Does he want to play baseball after his NFL career is over?

The Texas Rangers made a surprise pick in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft, normally an event that simply ends baseball's winter meetings with little fanfare. But on Thursday at Walt Disney World, the Rangers decided they wanted some of the Wilson magic on their team and selected the former second baseman, taking him from the Colorado Rockies system. It cost them $12,000 to do so and he goes on the club's restricted list because he's in the NFL.

The Rangers know Wilson is settling in to a successful career as the signal-caller for a Super Bowl contender. But they like Wilson's character and athletic ability, and even if baseball isn't in Wilson's future, the Rangers wants him around.

General manager Jon Daniels called Wilson -- he was impressed that the quarterback was working out shortly after the Rangers made the pick at 6:30 a.m. in Seattle -- and told him the club wasn't trying to distract him from his current job. But Wilson expressed a desire to come to spring training and work out.

"We talk to our scouts about the makeup we want of our players and the work ethic it takes to win, and Russell Wilson has been an example of that," Daniels said. "He has off-the-charts character and focus. We want to be respectful of where he's at right now.

"I got a chance to talk to him, and he was excited. We wanted to welcome him to the organization and told him, 'Don't be insulted if you don't hear from us again until you're done playing because we don't want to get in the way of what you've got going on.'"

Daniels said Wilson wants to come to spring training and work out, and that it's open-ended; if Wilson wants to do more than that, he certainly can.

"Everything you see and read about him and seeing him play on Sundays, you hear about the work ethic, the person," Rangers assistant general manager A.J. Preller said. "I think that's going to be a positive message for all of our players in our system, our coaches, everybody to have somebody like that around. At the end of the day, if he decides it's not something he wants to come back and do full-time, just having him around, having him talk to a group, I think there's definitely positives in all that."

The Rangers scouted Wilson in high school and college and considered him an athletic second baseman. Preller described someone who has "good hands, [is a] solid runner and a guy that we thought before the draft that could bounce around to different positions."

"We feel like if he ever decided he wanted to come back and play again, he'd be a guy that we'd want in our system with us and see him develop," Preller said. "The biggest thing that intrigued us on Russell from afar is the makeup. I think the way he goes about his business, the professionalism, the competitor, [that's] the message that we try to preach throughout our organization.

"At the end of the day, he obviously has a lot bigger things that he's working on right now and we don't want to interrupt that aspect of it, but if at some point down the road he decides he wants to do the baseball thing again, we felt like it would be a positive to have him with us."

Preller said the next step is to reach out to Wilson and see how he feels about baseball and whether he'd have interest in working out with the team or coming to spring training.

Wilson was drafted in the fourth round of the 2010 draft by Colorado (he was also drafted in the 41st round by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2007 draft out of high school but opted to go to North Carolina State) and signed with the Rockies. But once he received nearly $3 million from the Seahawks, he had to give part of his $200,000 signing bonus back.

Wilson hit .229 with five homers and 19 stolen bases (he also struck out 118 times) in Class A with Colorado in parts of the 2010 and 2011 seasons.

The Rangers' scouting department believes strongly in acquiring athletes and aren't hesitant to draft some that play other sports. Texas drafted running back Ricky Williams in the Rule 5 draft in 1998, even though he was likely headed for the NFL. They've also selected Riley Cooper and most recently Jameis Winston, who is the heavy favorite to win the Heisman Trophy this weekend and will lead his Florida State team against Auburn in the Vizio BCS National Championship next month.
    Baseball America once called Russell Wilson the fastest baserunner in Colorado's system.

can Wilson also play with the Rangers while still being under contract with the NFL? it's been done before with Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders. if he has this much speed could he just be a 4th OF/base runner?

Velvet Sky. hottest woman in wrestling

vCash
    I don't see him being a two sport athlete he invests all his time pretty much into Football.

vCash
    I can't see a Qb doing this.

It was different for the other two sport athletes.

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Hilarious.

vCash
    Maybe they thought it was another Russel Wilson

vCash

Texas Rangers Draft Seahawks Quarterback Russell Wilson in the Rule 5 Baseball Draft

The Rangers selected current Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson from the Rockies with the 15th pick and now control his baseball rights. Because of the way the minor-league phase works, Texas essentially bought him from Colorado for the $12,000 fee.

The Rockies drafted Wilson in the fourth round of the 2010 draft out of North Carolina State. He had previously been selected by the Orioles in the 41st round of the 2007 draft out of high school. Wilson did sign with the Rockies for $200,000 and yes, he did play in their farm system for a portion of the 2010-11 seasons. He hit .229/.354/.356 with five home runs, 19 stolen bases and 118 strikeouts in 93 Class A games as a second baseman.

Wilson's baseball career came to end in 2012, when he was drafted by the Seahawks in the third round and given close to $3 million. He had to repay the Rockies a portion of his $200,000 bonus and has since gone on to become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. Wilson has been sitting on the minor league restricted list the entire time.

While the Rangers have no expectations of Wilson — they are hoping he can still have an impact on the franchise.

“From a baseball standpoint, we feel like if he ever decided he wanted to come back to play again that he’d be a guy we’d want in our system,” Rangers assistant GM A.J. Preller told the Fort- Forth Star-Telegram. “The biggest thing that intrigued us on Russell from afar is the makeup, the way he goes about his business, the professionalism, the competitor, the message we try to preach throughout our organization, for us to at least have that as part of our organization.”

His numbers in the NFL — a 22-7 record through the first 29 games of his career with 49 touchdowns and a 64.3 completion percentage. He's led Seattle to a Franchise best 11-2 Record this season, including 10-0 at home.
    I posted this in the NFL forum but thought it was appropriate to also be posted in the MLB forum. I thought it was a Pretty Cool story.

Sources

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...n-rule-5-draft

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1545802
    Last edited by xabial; 12-12-2013 at 07:36 PM.

vCash
    Ah beat me to it. Good Job guys

vCash
    I am outraged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast