Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep ike davis

vCash

Keep ike davis

In December of 2012, Ike had optimum trade value. A trade at that time would have been something that could definitely bear fruit. The problem is now he does not have much value. To trade him now would minimize return and be too risky considering who will be left to man the position. Add to that the potential upside of Ike which is a 35+HR bat at 1B, who could hit .260 with a good OBP, and very good defensive play. Why not let these guys go to spring and fight for the starting spot. We still have Satin to platoon with whoever winds up winning the position. That would mitigate any lack of production. Ike or Duda platooned with Satin=a reasonable first base option at least. The Mets should take the next step and get Drew. This would add overall power value to the infield and lessen the need for superior production from first base. It would also balance and extend the lineup nicely. Anyway, what are your thoughts.

vCash
    I could hit the lottery, too. That doesn't have good looking women lining up at the door to get in on the good life with me.

Sometimes you have to see it for what it is and move on. Bye-Bye Ike. We have seen enough of your "potential".

vCash
    Unless they are making a serious push for Drew and need Ike's salary moved to get him, I would keep Ike.

Or of course someone comes around with that prospect Sandy wants.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2013 at 11:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Unless they are making a serious push for Drew and need his salary moved to get him, I would keep Ike. Unless of course someone comes around with that prospect Sandy wants.
    Agreed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by METMANYAK View Post
    In December of 2012, Ike had optimum trade value. A trade at that time would have been something that could definitely bear fruit. The problem is now he does not have much value. To trade him now would minimize return and be too risky considering who will be left to man the position. Add to that the potential upside of Ike which is a 35+HR bat at 1B, who could hit .260 with a good OBP, and very good defensive play. Why not let these guys go to spring and fight for the starting spot. We still have Satin to platoon with whoever winds up winning the position. That would mitigate any lack of production. Ike or Duda platooned with Satin=a reasonable first base option at least. The Mets should take the next step and get Drew. This would add overall power value to the infield and lessen the need for superior production from first base. It would also balance and extend the lineup nicely. Anyway, what are your thoughts.
    I don't buy for a minute that this team in New York needs to free up whatever Murphy's or Davis's salary will be in 2014 to sign Drew. If they want to sign Drew and Drew wants to sign with them (which is the bigger question) then the money is most likely available.

Now, as I stated in a previous post, the Mets need to clear and realign some deck chairs so to speak. There is a logjam at 1b. Duda is a non-issue. If the Mets don't move him in a trade he'll go to AAA. No harm done. Ike will never be a good role or bench player and it is in the best interests of the Mets to move him now to give Flores or Satin the opportunities they deserve. Davis's days of maximizing his value have vaporized over the past 2 years of futility, not listening to coaching, changing his queer batting stance more times than I change my underwear and crying and bantering with the umpires - something you learn not to do in Little League (if you're not a pampered son of a major league ballplayer I suppose). The Mets fan base loved this guy. Most of us NOW want to see him gone. I don't want to see him fail either. I just want the Mets to move on and give someone else the opportunities that we gave this guy already. I think Alderson needs to maximize the return in the trade. He'll go down to the wire with that - maybe waiting until spring training nears an end. I'm hoping for a good prospect from another team in return. Maybe a ss prospect. In the meantime go out and sign Drew if you can.

Even though the two are not directly related, there might be an indirect relationship. If Murphy gets traded first, we still need to trade Davis due to the forementioned reasons. However, if Davis gets traded first, it might save Murphy. He can still be a good part time player at first and second - to give EY and Flores and Satin (all righty batters) a rest when they need it or as insurance if one of them is faltering or injured. Murphy has the right attitude to be a bench player on this team. But if Sandy can get another team's good prospect for Murphy, I'm all for it.

vCash
    Ike has already shown his potential at the major league level. Duda will never be better than what we've seen to date. We should already be better than last year but we won't be serious contenders until Harvey comes back so why not give Ike at least part of one more year. His value in July will be at minimum what it is now. Plus this isn't softball where you put your least athletic player at first base. Ike by far has the better glove. Unless someone blows us away with an offer we cant refuse, I say keep Ike.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by plaza58 View Post
    Ike has already shown his potential at the major league level. Duda will never be better than what we've seen to date. We should already be better than last year but we won't be serious contenders until Harvey comes back so why not give Ike at least part of one more year. His value in July will be at minimum what it is now. Plus this isn't softball where you put your least athletic player at first base. Ike by far has the better glove. Unless someone blows us away with an offer we cant refuse, I say keep Ike.
    Obviously, Mets brass have assessed it differently. They feel that it's time that someone else be give opportunity to grab the brass ring at first base - whether it be a first baseman via trade or within the organization. Someone other than Ike Davis or Lucas Duda. I agree with their assessment on this one. Ike might have major league talent but he can't seem to find it and is very frustrated as we see everyday he plays. He is a major leaguer physically but not mentally. Maybe he can work things out in a "softer" town - not in NYC. Time for a change of scenery for him and for the Mets.

I'm an optimist - yes even at 62 years of age. I've been a Mets fan forever (since 1964 anyway). The Mets might not get to the playoffs this year - but they might. If they make 2 more - maybe 3 more tweaks they all of a sudden are relevant. One of those tweaks, as the Mets brass have determined already, happens to be changing the first baseman.

vCash
    For those of you who think Satin is a serious contender for the 1B job, please just stop. Satin is nothing more than a bench player on a good team, or a short term fill in. If he's platooning at 1B, there is a problem with the Mets.

Like most of you, I prefer Ike to Duda. I think the Mets brass likes Duda better because he's proven to be a bit better than Ike against LHP. I think this is a big mistake, and if they're not getting a solid return for Ike, I hope they don't just trade him for the sake of trading him.

There is also a possibility that they've decided to turn the job over to Flores, which I think is a short-term mistake, but a possible long-term solution.

Matt Joyce is not a solid return, he's a carbon copy who will probably be a little more expensive. If they're trying to free up money, Ike is not the tradable commodity.

If the sole purpose of trades right now is to free up money for Drew, Murphy and Duda should go...but again, I don't agree with trading Murphy either unless the return is worth the deal. The difference between Ike and Duda is going to be less than $2MM. That $2MM should be worth the risk.

Considering that they just paid $20MM for a 40 year old pitcher, they are willing to take risks, and Ike is a very small risk.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    For those of you who think Satin is a serious contender for the 1B job, please just stop. Satin is nothing more than a bench player on a good team, or a short term fill in. If he's platooning at 1B, there is a problem with the Mets.

Like most of you, I prefer Ike to Duda. I think the Mets brass likes Duda better because he's proven to be a bit better than Ike against LHP. I think this is a big mistake, and if they're not getting a solid return for Ike, I hope they don't just trade him for the sake of trading him.

There is also a possibility that they've decided to turn the job over to Flores, which I think is a short-term mistake, but a possible long-term solution.

Matt Joyce is not a solid return, he's a carbon copy who will probably be a little more expensive. If they're trying to free up money, Ike is not the tradable commodity.

If the sole purpose of trades right now is to free up money for Drew, Murphy and Duda should go...but again, I don't agree with trading Murphy either unless the return is worth the deal. The difference between Ike and Duda is going to be less than $2MM. That $2MM should be worth the risk.

Considering that they just paid $20MM for a 40 year old pitcher, they are willing to take risks, and Ike is a very small risk.
    Ike can't hit lefties. Nor can Duda.

Whether it is Satin or somebody else, there should be a platoon without question.

Personally, I am fine with an Ike/Satin platoon.

A Duda/Satin platoon is kinda meh, but it would depend what we were to get in a trade for Ike. If we can improve in another area by trading Ike, then going with Duda/Satin might be the logical plan. It would all depend on the trade though. Duda/Satin is not a long term plan though. We would need to upgrade at 1b sooner rather than later.

Another guy that fits into all this is Wilmer Flores. The Mets will want to get him his ABs and if Murphy isn't traded, then 1B is the only consistent spots for him to get som ABs.

So, I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilmer get some ABs at 1B just for the sake of his offensive development.

Truth is, we don't know what the plan is quite yet because the plan can change at any moment depending on what our roster looks like heading into opening day.
    Last edited by Wrigheyes4MVP; 12-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipr1 View Post
    I could hit the lottery, too. That doesn't have good looking women lining up at the door to get in on the good life with me.

Sometimes you have to see it for what it is and move on. Bye-Bye Ike. We have seen enough of your "potential".
    I disagree.

Its not like we have a truly better option.

Duda has sucked the last two years in his own right.

We are choosing between Ike and Duda right now essentially.

Both players have been garbage, but I'd rather roll the dice with Ike especially if we are going to limit his exposure against LHP by using a platoon.

There is just more power upside with Ike and both guys have similar upside with OBP because they draw walks.

Ike is coming off the worse season of the two, but he finished the year strong while Duda finished the year on a weaker note.

And in 2012, Ike was the better player.

So yeah... Ike has more upside and if I have to choose between one of these garbage players, I choose the upside of Ike Davis and his power potential.
    DUDA

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by plaza58 View Post
    I agree absolutely.
    DUDA

vCash
    If Ike or Duda fails we should give Dykstra a shot at 1B.

The Future

vCash
    Here's the problem with the "trade Ike now" philosophy.

There is very little financial reason to do so for the sake of doing so.

If the Mets are certain they are done with Ike and want to free up his money to use elsewhere, but don't have any good offers for the guy in a trade right now, they can simply hold on to him until someone makes a better offer. If that offer doesn't come, they can still cut him in ST and only be on the hook for about $600,000.

If they are not sure what they want to do with Ike, and money isn't the main issue, then there is really no reason to move him unless you get exactly what you want in a trade offer. You're better off just letting him fight for the job in ST.

Either way, I don't see the rush to move the guy unless the return is well worth the trade.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Just like Casey at the bat. "Who's on first, who's on second, who's on short..." We have names for the other 5 positions only. And our closer is of question. What's this about losing so much weight? I'm guessing the way Parnell's surgery was done, he couldn't eat properly - maybe he was on fluids. Anyway, that is a concern. He's got to get his stamina and strength back. Hopefully by spring training which is only about 2 months away.

15. 12-12-2013, 02:55 PM
    Reason
    Baiting

vCash
    I'm not a fan of picking Duda over Ike, but Duds seems to fit the team's philosophy more.

17. 12-12-2013, 03:04 PM
    Reason
    Response To A Deleted Post

18. 12-12-2013, 03:08 PM
    Reason
    Response To A Deleted Post

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast