Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Do the Spurs have a "Superstar"?

Everyone knows the Spurs are a championship caliber team -- but do they have a "Superstar"?

And in your opinion, what defines a "Superstar?"

vCash
    Duncan. He might be getting up there in age, but I still think he is a superstar.

Could also argue Tony Parker, as well.

Superstar: a high-profile and extremely successful performer or athlete.

#teamSwish

vCash
    parker, duncan, pop

"I just don't root against other human beings because I don't like the jersey's they wear. I'm done talking to you, its nice you finally admitted you root for other human beings to fail because of wardrobe."
    -unknown

vCash

No! No! No!!!!!

No. They do not have the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Melo.

The talent is there, but they do not have an NBA superstar. Grant it, Duncan used to be there and Parker is one of the best PG, but they are not NBA superstars. Unfortunately, Duncan is older and less releveant to the likes of K Love or Blake Griffin, because those, my friend, are NBA superstars.

There's a difference between being a best at a position and being an NBA "superstar".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shauneazy View Post

The talent is there, but they do not have an NBA superstar. Grant it, Duncan used to be there and Parker is one of the best PG, but they are not NBA superstars. Unfortunately, Duncan is older and less releveant to the likes of K Love or Blake Griffin, because those, my friend, are NBA superstars.

There's a difference between being a best at a position and being an NBA "superstar".
    Duncan and Parker are superstars.

#teamSwish

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    parker, duncan, pop
    This.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shauneazy View Post

Kevin Love is more of a superstar than Duncan? Are you drunk?

vCash
    They don't have superstars in a celebrity sense - but they have superstars in a basketball player sense.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    They don't have superstars in a celebrity sense - but they have superstars in a basketball player sense.
    Do you need celebrity status to be considered a "superstar"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikefromMars View Post
    Kevin Love is more of a superstar than Duncan? Are you drunk?

#teamSwish

vCash
    Tony and Timmy.

Tony Parker is the best point guard in the league.

vCash
    If they were given the same opportunities as your typical stars, Duncan and Parker can still be that guy to lead a team.

vCash
    Tony P is a superstar. Duncan no longer is

I consider a top 10 player a superstar, maybe a top 15 player if they have been a superstar in the past
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

vCash
    It all depends on what you value and your personal interpretation of "superstar", because there is no set criteria (and this comes up here every few months).

For example, Duncan is coming off of a dominant NBA Finals and 1st Team All NBA season to go alongside his legendary Top-10 All Time career. Yet many don't consider him a superstar. Some of that has to do with him playing a few less minutes and taking a couple less shots than years past so far, but you'd think that would be irrelevant to a player just coming off of the season he had with the overall resume he has in a "SuperStar" discussion. If he played on one of about 8 other organizations, this question would be considered blasphemous to even bring up until he proves to us that he can no longer anchor or co-anchor a contender. And we're not there yet.

By contrast, many fans now seem to consider Curry a superstar (I do myself for a # of reasons), and he's a 0 time All Star who hasn't reached the conference finals.

vCash
    Yep, his name is Greg Pop...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast