Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Athletics trade Brett Anderson to Rockies

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. Moments after Oakland Athletics general manager Billy Beane told beat writers the club may "possibly'' have a deal in the works, word came down they had traded Brett Anderson.

Anderson, the A's Opening Day starter last season, was sent to the Colorado Rockies along with cash considerations for fellow left-hander Drew Pomeranz and Class A right-hander Chris Jensen.

After signing starter Scott Kazmir last week as part of a whirlwind of deals that also saw them acquire relievers Jim Johnson and Luke Gregerson and outfielder Craig Gentry, the A's figured to stand pat during the winter meetings, which Beane notoriously dislikes.

Instead, the two-time defending AL West champions traded away one of their surplus starters, one with considerable upside.

"We had a lot of starting pitching, and in the acquisition of Pomeranz, it allows us to turn back the clock a little with another very talented left-hander," said Beane.

"Brett's been with us for several years, and someone obviously with that kind of talent we think very highly of, but with the amount of guys we have, we knew we could use that to get younger guys with less service time, and that was attractive".

Anderson, 25, is 26-29 with a 3.81 ERA in five seasons, but has not made more than 19 starts since breaking in with 30 as a rookie in 2009. A series of injuries have hampered him, including a torn elbow ligament that required Tommy John surgery in 2011.

The Rockies, looking to fortify a rotation that had the worst ERA in the National League last season at 4.57, are getting a young, experienced starter and some relief from Anderson's $8 million salary.

In exchange, they dealt away the key figure in the trade that sent Ubaldo Jimenez to the Cleveland Indians in 2011. Pomeranz was the fifth overall pick in the 2010 draft by the Indians but has failed to convert his potential into production at the major league level.

"He's only 25," said Beane, "and a lot of people still think very highly of his abilities, and we felt it was a good time to acquire him. Guys like this aren't that easy to acquire -- this young with this kind of upside."

Pomeranz, 25, went 0-4 with a 6.23 ERA with the Rockies last season, which he mostly spent in the minors. In 15 starts for Class AAA Colorado Springs, he had an 8-1 record with a 4.20 ERA and struck out 96 in 85 2/3 innings.

Jensen, 23, went 5-8 with a 4.55 ERA in 28 starts for Class A Modesto.

- SOURCE: USA TODAY

Thoughts! I love the Rockies Making a move for a solid Pitcher, we gave nothing. where we got nothing for Fowler.

BLUE MOUNTAIN STATE The MOVIE KICKSTARTER!
    Help out here: http://kck.st/1gykzcC <

vCash
    This deal is the BEST move we made this offseason. Rockies are building a Rotation.

Brett Anderson- Jorge De La Rosa- Jhoulys Chacin.... we sign Garza watchout... id go crazy if we got David Price. we'd be in world series contender!!! Id deal prospects, dahl. even cuddy if it came down to it.

BLUE MOUNTAIN STATE The MOVIE KICKSTARTER!
    Help out here: http://kck.st/1gykzcC <

vCash
    Love Brett Anderson...not sure how he'll do in Colorado though.

Agree on that Fowler deal, I didn't get that at all.

vCash
    I agree, I like this move for the Rockies. Brett Anderson, while often injured, does present himself as a legit #1 or #2 guy in the Rockies rotation. This along with some shrewd bullpen signings make the Rockies pitching staff a little more legit than it has been in the past.

Personally, I'd really like to see what Lyles does before we call the Fowler deal a bust. Personally, I think it was questionable that the Astros called him up so quickly. Lyles was a top 5 prospect in their system 2 or 3 years ago. He's still very young (23 years old). He has formative years left in his career, and in the end, the Rockies could call this a win.

Rockies don't have the cash to go after Garza, and D-B, while pursuing David Price is very attractive, what do you give for him? Tampa has already stated they want a James Shields type return for Price. The Rocks have very little in terms of prospect value to acquire him, and Tampa isn't going to give him up for a major league player on the wrong side of 30. Thoughts??

vCash
    Very true on Lyles. But I do think that you could have gotten more for Fowler imo.

Rockies definitely shouldn't be going after Price, I don't think they are in position yet for that type of move.