Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Rate the Strength and Likelihood of the Moves

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strength: Back-to-Back Titles

    0 0%
  • Strength: Another October Run

    8 80.00%
  • Strength: Contending for a WC

    0 0%
  • Strength: Also-Ran

    2 20.00%
  • Strength: Protected Draft Choice for 2015

    0 0%
  • Likelihood: Are you Ben Cherrington?

    0 0%
  • Likelihood: Reasonable

    7 70.00%
  • Likelihood: A few off-target thoughts

    0 0%
  • Likelihood: More bad than good

    2 20.00%
  • Likelihood: Just quit already

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,246
    vCash
    1500

    Rate the Sim: RedSoxtober as GM

    Transactions
    • Trade Buchholz, Webster, Britton, Middlebrooks, and Nava/Brentz for Giancarlo Stanton
    • Trade Jake Peavy and Keith Couch to NY Mets for Ike Davis
    • Trade Mike Carp to PIT for PTBNL
    • Sign John Lester to a $120M/5yr extension ($22M/yr for 5yrs plus $10M signing bonus paid in 2014)
    • Sign Stephen Drew, $33M/3yrs
    • Sign Carlos Ruiz, $20M/2yr
    • Sign Grant Balfour, $9.5M/2yrs + games finished escalators to $6M/yr + 2015 option
    • Sign Rajai Davis, $10M/2yrs
    • Sign Michael Young, $4M/1yr


    Arbitration
    • Stanton, $5.0M
    • I. Davis, 4.5
    • Tazawa, 2.0
    • Miller, 1.75
    • Morales, 1.75


    Rotation
    Lester
    Lackey
    Doubront
    Dempster
    Workman

    Bullpen
    Uehara
    Balfour
    Breslow
    Tazawa
    Miller
    Morales
    De La Rosa

    Position Players
    C: Ruiz/Ross
    1B: I. Davis
    2B: Pedroia
    SS: Drew
    3B: Bogaerts
    LF: Stanton
    CF: Bradley/R. Davis
    RF: Victorino
    DH: Ortiz

    UTL: Young
    UTL: Gomes

    Lineup
    Victorino
    Pedroia
    Stanton
    Ortiz
    I. Davis
    Drew
    Bogaerts
    Ruiz/Ross
    Bradley/R. Davis

    Payroll
    Lester, 23
    Ortiz, 17
    Lackey, $16.5M
    Dempster, 13.25
    Pedroia, 13.3
    Victorino, 13
    Drew, 11
    Ruiz, 10
    R. Davis, 5
    Gomes, 5
    Stanton, 5
    Balfour, 4.75
    I. Davis, 4.5
    Uehara, 4.25
    Young, 4
    Breslow, 3.13
    Ross, 3.1
    Tazawa, 2.0
    Miller, 1.75
    Morales, 1.75
    Doubront, 0.58
    Workman, 0.5
    Bogaerts, 0.5
    Bradley, 0.5

    Benefits, $10.8
    Payments to LAD, $3.9M

    Net payroll: $178M


    -----

    The Stanton deal is a little shorter (5 players vs 6 or more) than others but I believe delivers better value to the Marlins. Despite detractors, Buchholz remains a pitcher with elite stuff and fits within the Marlins past budgets for four more years. He has better present value at the head of a trade than other prospects they've accepted had in potential value. I still believe that Webster is a solid pitching prospect, albeit with some tarnish from 2013. This is his make or break year. The Marlins have already expressed a desire for WMB and between him, Britton (RP), and Nava/Brentz, they receive four pieces that could be in their opening day lineup for 2014.

    The Peavy deal is primarily about shedding contract to free space for a Lester deal. Taking back the duplicative Ike Davis works in a similar way; he's far less expensive than Napoli whom I considered a 50-50 shot at walking for more money in SEA or TEX.

    We do the Lester contract now to strike while the hometown feel is hot. The bonus gets lumped into 2014 to bring his AAV up this year.

    Part of the goal here is to put the Sox into a competitive position while also freeing 2015 payroll for a big extension with Stanton. It'd be nice to sign him to that deal now but it's not practical given the CBT constraints.

    They end up with $11M for in-season trades which probably include a big-name starter closer to the second half.

    Also anticipate the first appearances of Cecchini, Ranaudo, and Barnes during the second half of the year (or in spot starts). The ultimate goal is to remain somewhat competitive as the next wave of pitching/prospects emerges in 2015 and beyond.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    2,570
    vCash
    1500
    I actually like this allot. Ike Davis could be a perfect change of scenery candidate. I like the Ragi signing as well and would be really happy to see MY come here.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    215
    vCash
    1500
    Ike Davis has actually been terrible the last two years, I have no idea why you would dump an asset like Peavy on him when you could get more elsewhere.

    Why dump Carp? What are your expectations for the PTBNL?

    By signing Drew are you committed to moving XB to third for three years? If you do that, theres a good chance he fills out to adjust his game there and never goes back to SS. Also noted is that most consider his most effective years at short to be the next few rather than down the line..

    Ruiz and Balfour are useful players and I would have been happy IRL if that was the money it took.

    good sim overall, i think this team competes despite all my nitpickery

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    254
    vCash
    1500
    Ruiz is the one guy I really would have liked to see us sign. I'm intrigued to see if Giancarlo gets traded during the winter meetings, though Miami has said he's not going to get moved I see a deal like the one you proposed tantalizing them into opening up discussions for him. I say the value they could get for him this year as opposed to next will bring back one or two more players or a package of 3-4 MLB ready guys like the package in your SIM.

    It wouldn't take much more for this team to be World Series bound in '15, and we wouldn't be far off in '14 either. All in all, good stuff, though I wouldn't sign Drew past 2 years with an option/buyout in there if need be.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,246
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rollins94 View Post
    Ike Davis has actually been terrible the last two years, I have no idea why you would dump an asset like Peavy on him when you could get more elsewhere.
    I'd prefer Duda (with a better secondary piece) but I doubt the Mets would bite. Their rotation is poor so I think they'd be willing to take the salary dump. Davis has 25HR power and his 8-10% BB rate is not bad. He also has been ticking up in pitches per plate appearance (3.77 => 4.03 => 4.14) which might bode well for his baseball prime years and fits nicely into the Sox approach.

    Quote Originally Posted by rollins94 View Post
    Why dump Carp? What are your expectations for the PTBNL?
    Honestly, I was too lazy to think it through. The market is getting hot for 1B given the recent Cole/LoMo movement so it could be better than expected. However, bringing in the flexibility of Young to play all over the diamond makes him unnecessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by rollins94 View Post
    By signing Drew are you committed to moving XB to third for three years? If you do that, theres a good chance he fills out to adjust his game there and never goes back to SS. Also noted is that most consider his most effective years at short to be the next few rather than down the line..
    By moving WMB we create a hole on the left side. I think that Drew and XB are flexible enough that we can combine them in a few ways so I'm not too worried about who plays SS and who plays 3B. It's mostly about bringing Cecchini in slowing and combining around health/availability.

    Quote Originally Posted by theGhost-isGone View Post
    Ruiz is the one guy I really would have liked to see us sign. I'm intrigued to see if Giancarlo gets traded during the winter meetings, though Miami has said he's not going to get moved I see a deal like the one you proposed tantalizing them into opening up discussions for him. I say the value they could get for him this year as opposed to next will bring back one or two more players or a package of 3-4 MLB ready guys like the package in your SIM.
    Yes, I was aiming for more immediate impact in the deal to entice them. I think the players dealt are useful and I'd miss most of them but I think the team overall is better with Stanton than that stable of guys.

    Quote Originally Posted by theGhost-isGone View Post
    It wouldn't take much more for this team to be World Series bound in '15, and we wouldn't be far off in '14 either. All in all, good stuff, though I wouldn't sign Drew past 2 years with an option/buyout in there if need be.
    I'd prefer the same with Drew but believe that it will take more to get Boras to bring him to the table -- primarily more years. I can live with overpaying him in the short run and potentially dealing him in year 3 to a contender in need (if Cecchini is productive).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    38,376
    vCash
    1500
    Fine job. Dead on in a few moves. Very reasonable in most of the rest.

    As for objections:

    1. I don't like Ike as a trade target.
    2. Not sure if you're selling low or high on Carp, I'll assume you got it right.
    3. Think you are light on Stanton. Also, I think it's necessary to extend him as part of the deal - you prefer to wait and see (by your choice of how much salary you let go in the trade). If he sucks, that's wise, and if he hits 50 HR's two years for the Sox in a row it's not.

    Question: Was Ruiz still on the market when you made this?

    Very fine product, one of the best this Forum has seen.

    p.s. you should have had a check box for something between "BC" and "reasonable".


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,246
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Fine job. Dead on in a few moves. Very reasonable in most of the rest.

    As for objections:

    1. I don't like Ike as a trade target.
    Not my first choice, to be sure, but I think he's worth it as a salary dump on Peavy. It's a move that is much more about flexibility than anything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    2. Not sure if you're selling low or high on Carp, I'll assume you got it right.
    Honestly, that was more of a reaction to building the other moves in and not having room for him. Overall the flexibility of Young > contributions of Carp. PTBNL was just laziness on my part; this market for 1B is heating up and I expect he may fetch a decent prospect.

    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    3. Think you are light on Stanton. Also, I think it's necessary to extend him as part of the deal - you prefer to wait and see (by your choice of how much salary you let go in the trade). If he sucks, that's wise, and if he hits 50 HR's two years for the Sox in a row it's not.
    It's probably a difference over evaluations of Buchholz and Webster. I have them as more desirable commodities than you do but I get why you see it as light.

    Waiting on a deal with Stanton is just a pragmatic reality. There is not sufficient payroll available to give him the kind of deal he will demand with the roster as it's constituted. Once Lackey's money clears it's no problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Question: Was Ruiz still on the market when you made this?
    Yes and no. I'd pegged him at $10M/yr earlier in the offseason and knew the Sox wanted 2yrs. In reality he'd already signed but I stuck with the two factors I had earlier.

    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Very fine product, one of the best this Forum has seen.

    p.s. you should have had a check box for something between "BC" and "reasonable".
    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •