Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

This team is consistent!

Since Garrett and it might even go back as far as Parcells this team has been consistent. I can usually tell if Dallas will lose or win without even factoring in who the opponent is. They rarely win more then two in a row but they also rarely lose more than two in a row. They like to follow a good win with a loss. You can almost guarantee that they'll lose on national TV or at least play down to a weaker opponent. If the media jumps on the bandwagon Dallas tends to crash that wagon but as soon as they jump off its smooth sailing at least for a week. I tend to use this phrase when talking to my brother about the Cowboys "this is the type game this team will lose". Like I did before the Bears and Saints games. But there is hope because the Packers game is the type game they'd win. Regardless of if Aaron Rodgers plays this is the type of game they win. Coming off a loss, at home, peoples expectations lowered, this is a winning situation. Which is why this team is so frustrating. It's the playing up to good opponents and then playing down to band ones. It's the running game not working then looking great. It's the defense not being able to stop the pass one week then they can't stop the run next week. It's this team struggling against 3-4 defenses even though they were one for 10 or so years. I don't know what the fix is and I'm sure a lot of you will say fire Jerry but he was here long before this happened. So what's the problem?

vCash
    This team has been basically a .500 team with 2 playoff wins since the last Super Bowl win 17 or 18 years ago. Seems Jerry is the common denominator so I am not sure what your point is??? The organization is flawed from the top down. Jerry hires puppet type coaches (except Jimmy and Parcells) and doesn't give the head coach any ability to hire his own staff. Jerry jumps in on draft days and overrides his talent evaluators and comes up with boneheaded ideas like Gavin Fricking Escobar in the 2nd round. He whipsaws the organization on philosophies and strategy and has us in eternal salary cap hell. Other than that he is a great owner and GM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikel816 View Post
    Since Garrett and it might even go back as far as Parcells this team has been consistent. I can usually tell if Dallas will lose or win without even factoring in who the opponent is. They rarely win more then two in a row but they also rarely lose more than two in a row. They like to follow a good win with a loss. You can almost guarantee that they'll lose on national TV or at least play down to a weaker opponent. If the media jumps on the bandwagon Dallas tends to crash that wagon but as soon as they jump off its smooth sailing at least for a week. I tend to use this phrase when talking to my brother about the Cowboys "this is the type game this team will lose". Like I did before the Bears and Saints games. But there is hope because the Packers game is the type game they'd win. Regardless of if Aaron Rodgers plays this is the type of game they win. Coming off a loss, at home, peoples expectations lowered, this is a winning situation. Which is why this team is so frustrating. It's the playing up to good opponents and then playing down to band ones. It's the running game not working then looking great. It's the defense not being able to stop the pass one week then they can't stop the run next week. It's this team struggling against 3-4 defenses even though they were one for 10 or so years. I don't know what the fix is and I'm sure a lot of you will say fire Jerry but he was here long before this happened. So what's the problem?
    It's funny that's exactly how I talk about the Cowboys with my brother too. Good post IMO

vCash
    haha yep very true OP. I am back to being positive. Need a day or two to get over CHI. Win Sunday and everything is positive again.

We will have to go to WSH, a team that is on life support with tons of problems and win and then we are in the "playoffs".

Lose Sunday and it is over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    This team has been basically a .500 team with 2 playoff wins since the last Super Bowl win 17 or 18 years ago. Seems Jerry is the common denominator so I am not sure what your point is??? The organization is flawed from the top down. Jerry hires puppet type coaches (except Jimmy and Parcells) and doesn't give the head coach any ability to hire his own staff. Jerry jumps in on draft days and overrides his talent evaluators and comes up with boneheaded ideas like Gavin Fricking Escobar in the 2nd round. He whipsaws the organization on philosophies and strategy and has us in eternal salary cap hell. Other than that he is a great owner and GM.
    This is not a bash Jerry thread. Because he's been here for twenty plus years and isn't going anywhere. Your complaints of him not letting his coaches hire their own staff is untrue and there's a multitude of examples to back that. And citing that he jumps in to override on draft day to make bonehead picks is untrue for two reasons.
    1. As stated in a multitude of articles on the Cowboys site and ESPN Jerry relies heavily on his coaches and scouting almost to a fault.
    2. Bad example with Gavin Escobar. He's a first year player and nobody knows if he'll be Jason Witten or David Lafleur. But since you only want to focus on what you see as Jerry overriding to make bad picks let me counter that with the fact that Parcells wanted to take Spears and then Merriman and Jerry decided to take Ware and hope that Spears was there later. So when giving criticism be ready to give props considering that he single handedly drafted arguably the greatest pass rusher of all time while the great Bill Parcells would've drafted a guy who can't even get a job.

vCash
    Of course as soon as I say this isn't a bash Jerry thread the crickets come out. What I mean is that like in any good science experiment there is a constant. Jerry is the constant, good or bad. He's been here for both. So what's the problem?

vCash
    I lol'd at the David LaFluer. Throwback name haha. Remember Eric Bjornson?

vCash
    So you have established boundary conditions - cant blame Jerry because you say so then have the nerve to ask "whats the problem". Well since you so firmly established Jerry is not the problem I guess this question is unanswerable.

vCash
    He's been here for the good and bad, he's had good and bad signings and drafts and he's not going anywhere. So let's come up with realistic solutions.

vCash
    Your throwing up a straw man. The good was pre 1996 for gods sake. What is the common denominator in the past 17 years? No other GM would have remained in place for that many years with this record - it is as simple as that. And how do we come up with solutions anyway? We are just tossing out ideas and thoughts - my idea is this team will likely be mediocre until a new direction is sought by a non Jerry GM. We have 17 years of proof.

vCash
    Fans who only focus on the post super bowl years do so just to validate their hatred for Jerry. Like I said if JJ is the constant and is going nowhere then by your logic this team will never win again as long as he's the GM ? I don't believe that at all. And I can show you as many winning seasons as you can show me losing seasons , but the point if this forum was that since Garrett has taken over and maybe even as early as Parcells this team has been consistent. By consistent I mean win one lose one. Losing games they should win winning games they should lose. I can almost predict a win or loss without needing to know the opponent I just need to look at the previous weeks. This is a recent trend not a 17 year trend. So why does a team do this?

vCash
    7 winning seasons, 3 8-8's and 6 losing seasons. None with less than 5 wins since 1996. In what was one of the toughest divisions in football. You think that's bad. I'm not saying great but bad!! Not even close. Not to mention losing Aikman Irvin and Emmitt in the process. Even great organizations don't bounce right back after loses like that.

vCash
    This is not a bash Jerry thread. Because he's been here for twenty plus years and isn't going anywhere. Your complaints of him not letting his coaches hire their own staff is untrue and there's a multitude of examples to back that. And citing that he jumps in to override on draft day to make bonehead picks is untrue for two reasons.
    1. As stated in a multitude of articles on the Cowboys site and ESPN Jerry relies heavily on his coaches and scouting almost to a fault.
    2. Bad example with Gavin Escobar. He's a first year player and nobody knows if he'll be Jason Witten or David Lafleur. But since you only want to focus on what you see as Jerry overriding to make bad picks let me counter that with the fact that Parcells wanted to take Spears and then Merriman and Jerry decided to take Ware and hope that Spears was there later. So when giving criticism be ready to give props considering that he single handedly drafted arguably the greatest pass rusher of all time while the great Bill Parcells would've drafted a guy who can't even get a job.
    1) It's kinda weird that a site owned by Jerry would have articles saying how great he was isn't it?

2) I don't think anyone is saying Gavin Escobar is the worst TE ever. The issue is that we didn't need a TE, especially in the 2nd round, we needed help on defense and the OL. Drafting for a want instead of a need was a luxury we didn't have and it's showing this season.

3) So how many guys that Jerry has picked can't even get a job?
    Last edited by BigDFan85; 12-13-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

vCash
    Fans who only focus on the post super bowl years do so just to validate their hatred for Jerry. Like I said if JJ is the constant and is going nowhere then by your logic this team will never win again as long as he's the GM ? I don't believe that at all. And I can show you as many winning seasons as you can show me losing seasons , but the point if this forum was that since Garrett has taken over and maybe even as early as Parcells this team has been consistent. By consistent I mean win one lose one. Losing games they should win winning games they should lose. I can almost predict a win or loss without needing to know the opponent I just need to look at the previous weeks. This is a recent trend not a 17 year trend. So why does a team do this?
    Wow your sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo full of BLANKET STATEMENTS it's alittle sick to be honest. Stick with one blanket statement it might make you sound alittle more believable!!! I'm sorry you can't accept that Jj is a terrible owner/GM/HC/but he is doing alot better at being a dumbazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz so for that I give Jj credit. Oh by the way I wouldn't exactly call it hatred for Jj I would call it a mutual disdain for him again that's just my opinion just like all your BLANKET STATEMENTS are just your....humble....opinions.

vCash
    When I saw this thread title, all I thought was "yup, we are consistent"...but not in a good way

I actually had some hope with the Garrett 3-year plan...I thought that this year (year 3) was going to be where we started jumping off of the fence of mediocrity and staying on the "plus" side (more wins than losses)...but, my hope has been stunted once again. The second I saw the quotes that JJ was going to be the GM for 10-15 more years, my heart sank into my stomach...that followed the quote of "Garrett is safe for 2014"...I didn't buy that one, but after the JJ is staying mantra, then my hope is dashed

I don't see any legitimate way that this team can be a contender while the Jones family is running things so tightly...there are ZERO football guys with any experience making decisions. And, before someone says that JJ has 30+ years experience in the NFL, I would submit that just because someone is in a job for 3 decades, it doesn't mean that they know how to do it. If he was working on an assembly line for 30 years making cars and didn't injure people, then the auto unions would keep him in his job regardless of his skill...in this case, who is going to tell him he can't play GM? he is around .500 and making buckets of money for himself and the league, so there are no watchdogs to force him to sell

there is no end in sight to this madness that we call the front office...is the front office consistent? ever since Jimmy Johnson got shown the door, ubetcha...consistent like weeds that just keep coming back in the spring...you would think after the cold that maybe things will look different, but then it just creeps back in and the weeds take over your nice grass

we need a weed killer for this team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast