Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cardinals met with Mark Ellis' Agent today at WM

They WILL sign a right handed hitting second basemen to provide some competition for Wong in the spring, and to provide some depth now that Freese is gone.

Ideally, you find someone that can either help defensively enough that they can also play shortstop or third base (like Carroll), or you get someone who can sort of play the position, but be a massive bench bat (like Baker).

Ellis is probably one of the better right handed bats to play second that doesn't have to play every day left. Obviously Infante is going to get a nice deal.

Everyone here knows my preference, but Ellis wouldn't be so bad. Hell, he hit as well as Brandon Phillips last year. This isn't a core player, this is a bench guy you are adding, and Ellis isn't a bad player.

I think he'll require 1/3-5 million though, since he can't be expected to start.

vCash
    We could definitely afford it... Might as well go for it if Hes interested

vCash
    Hey, I'd be all for that. Solid bench guy
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Saw this yesterday and instantly liked the idea. Especially if Ellis can possibly play a little 3rd base also

Only problem is we still lack right handed power on the bench.

But at least Ellis would provide a quality right handed hitter for the infield and for pinch hitting

vCash
    Ellis would be a great addition to this team
    Pitches Thrown: 239 Strikes: 145
    15.1 INN 9 K 4 BB
    1 W 1 L 0.59ERA
    Joe "The Bunter" Kelly

vCash
    I like Ellis as well, but one issue is he doesnt play SS.. The ideal fit could handle SS on occasion as well.. I like Danny D, but his D at SS plain sucks BHDD IMO...

vCash
    For the amount Descalso plays SS he's fine defensively, he played there much more than typical last year with Kozma. Peralta, who has been very healthy his whole career won't be sharing much time with anyone

A guy who could play a little SS would be nice but not necessary. Ellis is really the best back up type option outside jeff Baker

vCash
    Mark Ellis while a gritty veteran would have zero value on the bench considering he is lousy against RHP and doesn't hit lefties great either, he doesn't run fast enough to pinch run either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Mark Ellis while a gritty veteran would have zero value on the bench considering he is lousy against RHP and doesn't hit lefties great either, he doesn't run fast enough to pinch run either.
    Hits right handed, quality defender, can hit in the .250s or better. That's more than good enough for the bench for the needs we need. Also a good guy in the club house. If Wong fails, needs an extended break or gets injured he can play 2B instead of shifting players like Carpenter. Shouldn't be expensive

There's plenty of value to have on the bench. Is he a great pinch hitter? No really but he can do the job still but that's not his main job. His main job is to allow Wong some breaks and be ready for injuries to happen along with give a right handed middle infield option over Descalso