Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Steve Yzerman will take part in the Alumni game

Sunrise, Fla. — The player every Red Wings fan wanted to see participate in the alumni game is going to do so.

Hall of Famer Steve Yzerman, who captained three Red Wings Stanley Cup championship teams, Tuesday committed to the Red Wings' roster when they face the Toronto Maple Leafs in the Alumni Showdown Dec. 31 at Comerica Park.

Currently the general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning -- the Red Wings play in Tampa Bay Thursday -- Yzerman was undecided about playing in the game because of his duties with the Lightning; he is also general manager of Team Canada for the February Winter Olympics.

"Steve is one of the greatest Red Wings players ever," general manager Ken Holland said. "His presence at the Alumni Showdown makes a great day even better."

When the Lightning played at Joe Louis Arena several weeks ago, Yzerman, who retired in 2006, said he hadn't been on skates in recent years.

"I don't own a pair of skates so I may have to take up a collection," Yzerman said at the time. "I've had skates on like three times to do something minor."

Yzerman joins former teammates such as Nicklas Lidstrom, Sergei Fedorov, Brendan Shanahan, Dino Ciccarelli, Igor Larionov, Chris Osgood and Kris Draper, among many others, who have committed to playing.

There will be two games between Red Wings and Maple Leafs alumni on Dec. 31.

Yzerman retired as the No. 6 scorer in NHL history and still ranks among the Red Wings’ all-time greats with 1,514 games played (fourth), 692 goals (second), 1,063 assists (first) and 1,755 points (second).

Yzerman won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1998 as NHL playoff MVP and the Selke Trophy in 2000 as the league’s best defensive forward – among many other awards.

He was drafted by the Red Wings in 1983 and was named in 1986. He wore the captain’s “C” until his retirement in 2006. He is the longest-serving captain in NHL history.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2n801rx6H
    Really surprised by this given all his other jobs he has to do with Tampa Bay and team Canada but am very happy to hear this. It'll be good to see #19 play again even if it's just one game.

vCash
    This game being televised?

vCash
    Not sure but I know someone who might be getting tickets to it and if he does I'll go along with him.

vCash
    Brendan Shanahan - Steve Yzerman - Tomas Holmström
    Vyacheslav Kozlov - Sergei Fedorov - Doug Brown
    Martin Lapointe - Igor Larionov - Darren McCarty
    Kirk Maltby - Kris Draper - Joey Kocur
    Ted Lindsay - Alex Delvecchio - Garry Unger
    Paul Ysebaert - Jimmy Carson - Pat Verbeek
    Petr Klima - Brent Fedyk - Dallas Drake
    Dennis Polonich - Red Berenson - Mickey Redmond

Nicklas Lidström - Larry Murphy
    Slava Fetisov - Paul Coffey
    Jiri Fischer - Chris Chelios
    Steve Duchene - Brian Rafalski
    Mathieu Schneider - Aaron Ward
    Jason Woolley - Mathieu Dandenault
    Mark Howe - (Vladimir Konstantinov)

Chris Osgood
    Mike Vernon
    Eddie Mio
    Manny Legace

vCash
    Lidstrom alone beats Toronto's whole team
    You need centerman that can play two ways and if they don’t play two ways in the end, you can’t win, because the guy you are counting on can’t get himself on the right side of the puck enough. So sure he can score, he can score but his team loses every night, I didn’t know that was the objective. I thought winning was the objective. So if you centers can’t play down the middle, and can’t play without the puck, you have no chance.
    - Mike Babcock

vCash
    Imagine if Drake went full speed and checked a Leafs legend. .. I would be shocked, but at the same time.. I'd lol