Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Tell Me About Skaggs & Santiago

OK:

Please give me the low down on these 2.
    Both young, yes?
    Potential or reality?
    Grade A stuff, or innings eaters?

Where do they project as starters & where do you see them in our rotation?

Off hand & uninformed: Go Angels. Seem to be addressing our core needs... We have to live with Pujols & Hamilton & cant have 3 duds batting .240 with 30 hrs...
    The Los Angeles Lakers

We have so many of these, we give them out to our fans.

vCash
    Skaggs should probably start in the minors or in the bull pen to work on his change up, the dbacks were screwing around with his arm slot last season, and it may have been the result for his diminished velocity. Who knows, as of right now, he will be our 4 or 5, but depending on if he can get his fastball velocity back up, and can get a feel for his change up he could be much much better, or worse.

Santiago gets a lot of K's and has a career BB/9 of 4.1 in the minors, and 4.5 in the majors(sample size) there are some that think his stuff plays up better in the bull pen, I think it's fair to say that between them and richards, DiPoto shouldn't rest on his laurels and should be looking for more depth.
    Last edited by ciaban; 12-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I think it's fair to say that between them and richards, DiPoto shouldn't rest on his laurels and should be looking for more depth.
    Hmm...
    Starting to look like our plan for last year.... ouch.

Not exactly totally stoked on that if we just gave up a 30HR guy.
    The Los Angeles Lakers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog-99 View Post
    OK:

Please give me the low down on these 2.
    Both young, yes?
    Potential or reality?
    Grade A stuff, or innings eaters?

Where do they project as starters & where do you see them in our rotation?

Off hand & uninformed: Go Angels. Seem to be addressing our core needs... We have to live with Pujols & Hamilton & cant have 3 duds batting .240 with 30 hrs...
    Hector Santiago will be 26 in less than a week. He will not become a free agent until after his age 29 season. Throughout his minor league career he has been a high strikeout pitcher but has struggled with his command. He didn't become a starter until 2011. Then he spent most of 2012 in the bullpen for the White Sox. Pretty much May-September in 2013 Santiago was a starter. I think his ceiling is somewhere around Scott Kazmir (2007-2008). High strikeout guy, high walk guy, gives up a decent amount of HR, and has a FIP somewhere in the range of 3.75-4.00. I would say this is a good 3. His floor is somewhere around Felix Doubront (2012-2013). High strikeout, high walk, gives up decent amount of HR, and has a FIP somewhere in the range of 4.00-4.25. I would say this is around a 4, good 5.

Tyler Skaggs will turn 22 next season. He will not become a free agent until after his age 27 season. Throughout his minor league career Skaggs has shown to be a high strikeout pitcher who has good command. His ceiling is somewhere around Mike Minor (2013)/Madison Bumgarner (2012-2013). High strikeout guy, low walk, gives up a decent amount of HR, and has a FIP somewhere in the range of 3.00-3.50. I would say this is a good number 2. His floor is somewhere around Derek Holland (2011). Decent strikeout guy, decent control, gives up a decent amount of HR, and has a FIP in the 3.75-4.00. Which would be a good number 3. Skaggs has a great 12/6 curve ball. Since coming out of high school his fastball has sat in the 89-92 range, but he can get it up to 94-95. He throws both a 4-seam and 2-seam fastball. He also throws a change up.

I don't see why people are saying Skaggs has lost velocity. Coming out of high school he was a guy that sat in the 89-92 MPH range. In 2012 his average 4-seam fastball velocity was 89.4 MPH, lets also remember that this came at the end of the year. In 2013 his average 4-seam fastball velocity was 89.5 MPH. 4 of his 7 starts came in July. He's a young guy that is pitching the most innings he ever has, you would expect him to lose a little bit of velocity. He was still able to stay within what his scout report stated.
    __________________________________._________

vCash
    I believe it was Ken Rosenthal that tweeted yesterday that hte main concern with Skaggs was that his fastball velocity dropped 2 MPH last year. He noted that if LAA can figure out why it dropped it would be a major steal for LAA especially considering Santiago is a solid. Very uncommon to see a rotation which three of your top starters are lefty. I like the deal for LAA

vCash
    I would say in regards to these pitchers tendencies to give up home runs, leaving Chase Field and US Cellular for Anaheim will help with that, and considering they will pitch in Oakland and Seattle quite a few times should help.

Even in texas, the Jet stream is more detrimental to RHP.

vCash
    Nice information appreciated.

Nice contribution Vladdy.
    The Los Angeles Lakers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog-99 View Post
    Nice information appreciated.

Nice contribution Vladdy.
    so it's like that huh.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    so it's like that huh.....
    __________________________________._________