Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Trading Daniel Murphy Solves Lotsa Problems

Daniel Murphy has been a solid player and costs relatively little in today's market but his role on the Mets has become a roadblock to player positioning. Trading Murphy now [to fill one of the remaining gaps like 4th starter or backup to Parnell] solves many position problems but let's not give away a decent player without a solid return like we have many times in the past seven years---see Reyes, Bell, Lindstrom, Vargas, Kazmir, NCruz, JSmith, etc.:

1) Eric Young gets to move primarily to second base opening up Lagares as the starting CFer and moving Granderson to RF and CYoung to LF...making for a better defensive outfield. Can Lagares hit enough to make it all worthwhile?

2) We get to see if the defensively limited Wil Flores can also play second base 40 games this year and can grow into a starting role over time. Flores is apparently not an outfielder, cannot hit with enough to play first, will never win the 3B job with Wright there so this gives the Mets a chance to see if he sticks or becomes trade bait a year from now. He is one of too many Mets young players that need to lock into a position and play regularly.

3) With EY as a switch hitter, Granderson and one of the second basemen in the lineup, in order to have four lefty bats and four righty bats in the lineup this pushes the Mets into trading or signing a lefty batting SS to balance out the lineup....anyone say Stephen Drew [averages 14 65 .264 6 in 550 ABs, age 30] on a three year contract???

Here's the new lineup:

EYoung 2B L/R
    Drew SS L
    Wright 3B R
    Granderson RF L
    CYoung LF R
    Davis 1B L or Duda L
    D'Arnaud C R
    Lagares CF R/den Dekker L

A very balanced lefty-righty lineup. Will Travis hit like we expect this year? Key question for 2014.

Bench: Duda L, WFlores R, Tejada R, den Dekker L, and either Centeno L or Recker R at C provides some power, defensive and pinch running speed and enough defense. This needed balance is one key reason why Turner was cut last week.

Don't give away Duda or Davis unless you get a solid starting player in return. Let's see which one hits this year before trading the surplus guy...they both remain big questionmarks not worth regretting to trade too early. Cesar Puello and WTovar may make it by September and Nieuwenhuis, Recker/Centeno and Brown stay warm at AAA if needed.

Starting pitching wise signing a guy like Colon is a perfect fit---by the time he starts breaking down due to his 40 years of age, the kids from AAA---Syndergaard, deGrom and Goeddel---should be ready. We can win with Wheeler, Niese, Colon, Gee and Montero with CTorres and Mejia in reserve. A bullpen of Parnell plus a veteran free agent signee/former closer as insurance, followed by Rice, Germen, Edgin, Black, and Familia....that's a pool of 14 to start the season with four kids at AAA [add Walters] on their way up as needed...a big group to draw the best performing 12-13 along with any minor signings, backups or last tries like Matsuzaka or JSantana.

BTW, the current Mets roster, except for Wright, Granderson, CTorres and Rice are all 30 and under and the oldest guy is Granderson at 33. Bright future as the kids arrive.
    Long time no speak...as always, insightful comments welcomed. LGM.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    No no no....
    #1 Lagares is getting all shots at cf with CY in lf and Grandy in rf....EYJ on the bench

#2 I like Flores but not ready to replace Murphy with EYJ/Flores

#3 So you want to Trade Murphy and his good numbers to bring in Drew with lesser numbers at double the cost??

Let's see what the trade market brings us at ss before we trade away one of our best hitters.......

vCash
    No it doesn't, it just creates another hole.

vCash
    I'd rather take a chance with a 22 year old Flores in a season without Harvey than pay Murphy $5.5M to be mediocre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    I'd rather take a chance with a 22 year old Flores in a season without Harvey than pay Murphy $5.5M to be mediocre.
    Mediocre????? The guy has done nothing but improve the last 3 years with this past year putting him in top 10 of all 2b's! Add he will cost us under 6 mil that is a steal!!!!!!!

vCash
    He just had a career year. If he has another year like 2012 I would be pissed. His defense stinks and we need a SS more than 2B. Flores could put up similar or better numbers offensively.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 12-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.

vCash
    Hits damn near .300, 20+ SBs last year. Not good defensively but definitely above average offensively. Remember there was a time you wanted to replace Murphy with Valdspin? Careful what you wish for.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash

I wouldn't. Flores is overrated. Always was.

vCash
    Why not keep Murphy and trade EYJ?

vCash
    My best guess is that the '14 Mets will look like this...
    1B Davis
    2B Murphy
    SS Tejada
    3B Wright
    LF C.Young
    CF Lagares
    RF Granderson
    c D'Arnaud

EYoung, Recker, Flores, Duda, Brown, Izturis

Gee, Niese, Wheeler, Harang, Mejia
    Torres, Rice, Edgin, Black, Parnell + fillers

Alderson would be wise to deal guys like Davis, Duda and or Murph during the summer, when a prospect or 2 could be had. 2015 is not that far off

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Hits damn near .300, 20+ SBs last year. Not good defensively but definitely above average offensively. Remember there was a time you wanted to replace Murphy with Valdspin? Careful what you wish for.
    I don't care about those stats. He doesn't get on base enough. He's not being extended, so might as well deal him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I wouldn't. Flores is overrated. Always was.
    We'll see. I'm not high on him personally, but we need a SS badly. I'm sick of Tejada and I can do without Murphy...I don't care how much fans hype him up. He's a FA soon and we aren't keeping him.

I'll deal with Flores/EYJ/Tejada at 2B for one year if it means bringing in a real SS.

vCash
    He just had a career year. If he has another year like 2012 I would be pissed. His defense stinks and we need a SS more than 2B. Flores could put up similar or better numbers offensively.
    I agree he did have a career year and if we trade him and he does it again I too will be pissed. Your right we need a ss bad and I think we will get one just not at the cost of deal Murph. I am hoping we deal and we both end up happy... lol!

vCash
    We'll see. I'm not high on him personally, but we need a SS badly. I'm sick of Tejada and I can do without Murphy...I don't care how much fans hype him up. He's a FA soon and we aren't keeping him.

I'll deal with Flores/EYJ/Tejada at 2B for one year if it means bringing in a real SS.
    Tejada is god-awful. You had to convince me of that last year but now it's stunningly obvious. I want a real SS. There's no reason for the Mets not to acquire a real SS. There's no reason it has to come at the expense of Murphy. Ownership needs to get with the picture. No he won't be worth his price in WAR, but if he's the thing keeping you from signing Drew then that's just pathetic and this team is in worse shape than any of us thought.

So you want to go ahead and move Tejada, who flat out sucks at SS to 2B where he will flat out suck even harder value-wise? Noooooooooooo get Tejada away from my baseball team as fast as possible. Ship him off to the Yakut Swallows or something.
    Sandy Alderson says Mets' 2014 payroll will be more than $87 million
    (11/19/2013)

Payroll is $85 million this year. It was $85 million last year.
    (05/27/14)

I don't think we're that far away.
    (6 games under .500 before June. Not that far away from what?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    Tejada is god-awful. You had to convince me of that last year but now it's stunningly obvious. I want a real SS. There's no reason for the Mets not to acquire a real SS. There's no reason it has to come at the expense of Murphy. Ownership needs to get with the picture. No he won't be worth his price in WAR, but if he's the thing keeping you from signing Drew then that's just pathetic and this team is in worse shape than any of us thought.

So you want to go ahead and move Tejada, who flat out sucks at SS to 2B where he will flat out suck even harder value-wise? Noooooooooooo get Tejada away from my baseball team as fast as possible. Ship him off to the Yakut Swallows or something.
    Now that's what I'm talkin about.........

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast