Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

was it a mistake not keeping kevin martin?

I feel it was n also not starting him

vCash
    I don't think it was a mistake. I miss his three point accuracy but Jackson and Lamb are filling in nicely for him and for about half the money. Of course things can always change and playoffs are a different ballgame but luckily Jackson has good experience now after filling in for Russ last season. Helps that we are 15-4 for the season and 14-2 since Westbrooks return.

vCash
    I don't think keeping him was ever an option. I think he was strictly a 1 year transition player to help bridge the gap between Harden and Lamb/Jackson. Presti constantly talks about consistency within the program and overspending on a role player, even one as good as a Kevin Martin or even a James Harden isn't going to happen. I don't think we will ever see a season in which Presti tries to buy a championship at the expense of sustained success in future seasons and the Kevin Martin/James Harden trade and the way it has been implemented backs that up.

He's Back!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerule View Post
    I don't think keeping him was ever an option. I think he was strictly a 1 year transition player to help bridge the gap between Harden and Lamb/Jackson. Presti constantly talks about consistency within the program and overspending on a role player, even one as good as a Kevin Martin or even a James Harden isn't going to happen. I don't think we will ever see a season in which Presti tries to buy a championship at the expense of sustained success in future seasons and the Kevin Martin/James Harden trade and the way it has been implemented backs that up.
    Don't forget that we also got Steven Adams as part of the Harden deal. He may be the best part of the deal that no one thinks about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dubh46 View Post
    Don't forget that we also got Steven Adams as part of the Harden deal. He may be the best part of the deal that no one thinks about.
    We also still have the Mavericks 1st round draft pick stashed away. Which as of right now we have the 21st and 26th picks in this crazy deep draft. Just hopes Dallas keeps steady at that 21 -22 draft spot. Hell possibly even package reggie jackson (relax he will be expiring after next season and we won't be able to afford him) and maybe the Dallas pick to move up and get a player like Marcus Smart.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LJEATON26 View Post
    We also still have the Mavericks 1st round draft pick stashed away. Which as of right now we have the 21st and 26th picks in this crazy deep draft. Just hopes Dallas keeps steady at that 21 -22 draft spot. Hell possibly even package reggie jackson (relax he will be expiring after next season and we won't be able to afford him) and maybe the Dallas pick to move up and get a player like Marcus Smart.
    To be perfectly honest, nothing that Sam Presti may do would surprise me. He is like this mad scientist recreating or tweaking "the Monster" every year. And the scary part for the rest of the league is that he seems be getting better and better at it..... did I forget to mention Adams? Maybe it was because it all had a "guard" theme. It is my humble opinion that the pick that brought us Adams was the key element, in Presti's mind, of the Harden trade. I think Adams will be a part of the Thunder for a long, long time, and I don't think he was picked by accident. As I said, Presti thinks in four dimensions, the fourth dimension being time. A part of me feels like Presti may even be concerned the kid is coming on too fast and could have a negative effect financially for his long term plan for replacing Perk with the boy from the land of the Kiwis. By that I mean if he keeps growing at the rate he is now, when it is time to resign him, the money he will demand could upset future plans or even nix the whole deal.

I have been asking myself a question since day one of this season which is, 'why has Thabeet played less than what seems like 5 minutes this entire season?'

Even mop up minutes.... no Thabeet. I don't even remember very many minutes when Perk was out with the dislocated finger. Did he revert back to the half-assed work ethic that landed him in OKC in the first place? It is abundantly clear he is no longer part of any long term plans and may be in the dog house for not competing harder for that back up role at center and upsetting the mad scientists future financial plans. Just my opinion....
    Last edited by Soonerule; 12-12-2013 at 08:29 AM.

He's Back!

vCash
    so periodically when I watch a Houston or boston game, I always ask myself:
    what if
    ibaka
    green
    Durant
    harden
    westbrook

that lineup would've been good enough to beat the heat 2 years ago.

the other question I ask is:
    ibaka
    Durant
    sefoloshia
    martin
    westbrook

martin is putting up nice numbers in minny as he did in sac, I wonder if he would've been better last year for you guys if he started?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES KOAST View Post
    so periodically when I watch a Houston or boston game, I always ask myself:
    what if
    ibaka
    green
    Durant
    harden
    westbrook

that lineup would've been good enough to beat the heat 2 years ago.

the other question I ask is:
    ibaka
    Durant
    sefoloshia
    martin
    westbrook

martin is putting up nice numbers in minny as he did in sac, I wonder if he would've been better last year for you guys if he started?
    That would have been a hell of a line up, would be an expensive line up these days to but what can you do. Even though Martin didn't start for us, he was still putting up similar numbers to what he is now. His fg% has actually dropped .44%, his 3pt fg% has dropped .18% but he is taking 5 more shots a game and playing 6 more minutes a game which is what is giving him the added stats.

vCash
    well anyone who's watched okc knows Jackson is gonna be a very good player. im also happy lamb is playing well. didn't get minutes last year. dude had some promise coming out of the draft a few years back but never got the chance. im glad he's working out.

what's the inside track on perkins? is there a feeling in okc he'll get amnestied? they brought him in for toughness but I don't see it.

also how do you guys feel about the play of steve adams? I thought is was a solid pick for you guys, at one point I thought maybe okc would take shabazz instead.

vCash
    well anyone who's watched okc knows Jackson is gonna be a very good player. im also happy lamb is playing well. didn't get minutes last year. dude had some promise coming out of the draft a few years back but never got the chance. im glad he's working out.

what's the inside track on perkins? is there a feeling in okc he'll get amnestied? they brought him in for toughness but I don't see it.

also how do you guys feel about the play of steve adams? I thought is was a solid pick for you guys, at one point I thought maybe okc would take shabazz instead.
    I started the season worrying about Jackson and now look forward to him entering every game. Something changed early on in the season and I think it happened after the game he put it on himself to take and then missed the last four shots in a close loss before Russell came back. He learned to trust his teammates.... In a recent interview he said he stopped trying to be perfect and just started letting the game come to him and that makes a lot of sense when you watch his play since that game.

There was also an interview with Jeremy Lamb the other day and he said the trade last season kind of set him back. He went from a team he was probably going to see serious minutes with to a team literally hip deep in guards. I like the fact he didn't let himself get down and used the time to work on his game and it's paying off now. This kid is gonna be really really good. Watch his numbers just keep going up. In a very real sense, this is his second rookie season and his defense is blossoming right in front of us right along with his shot selection.

Perkins? Now that's a good one. On the surface using the amnesty rule seems like a no brainer but then you see how effective he was against Hibbert in that Indiana game and I have second thoughts which rolls into Adams. First Perk pushed him off his spots and then Adams came in and did the very same thing. I don't think Indiana in the NBA Finals is a very far fetched notion and Hibbert could break your back if you don't have someone to contain him and that, IMO, will keep Perk around at least for this season.

Speaking of Adams. This kid is strong, really strong. He sets a pick and it's like running into a tree. How many other players have been involved in an opposing player being kicked out for taking a swing at them for just setting picks or grabbing a rebound? Adams has...twice... in backup minutes.... Vince Carter in the preseason and then last nite, Jordan Hamilton....

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jordan...ton/index.html

I may be wrong but I don't remember Hamilton being labeled has an excessive hothead. I think the look on his face tells it all, that pick hurt and he just reacted to it, not to Steven Adams personally.

this one is my favorite:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ms-head-video/

Carter loses his cool for an incidental elbow and the kid doesn't even react to Carter's intentional one and goes and gets the rebound. Two things I love about the video, the look on Carter's teammates face at the 55 second point in the video (pause it there, it's hilarious, or just wait for it at the very end because the video stops right there) that looks like he is thinking, ' What the ******* were you doing?' along with the look on the kid's face in the stands and later, Adams response on the sidelines when someone asks him if he is OK. He touches his jaw and shakes if off like he couldn't understand what the big deal was from EITHER blow because where he's from that was just another play from the playground... more on that later...

When the draft was coming up last spring we were talking about what player the Thunder might use with that first pick and when someone posted Adams I liked him immediately. The obvious things were impressive, his size, his work ethic, his athleticism, etc... but one thing jumped off the page at me, his background in Rugby. I know that sounds nuts, but if you have ever watched Rugby, especially at the highest level, you know that it is this constant contrast of brutal physical play and finesse all mixed into one continuous, non-stop (unlike our games here, there are no commercials from kickoff til the end of the half) game that for some reason has always reminded me of the physical play in the paint in the NBA. And in the All Blacks, New Zealand plays the best Rugby in the world, period, and it is a national passion. It is nothing like the mauling drudgery you see played in England, plodding and methodical, its fast and graceful and brutal all at the same time. The ball is constantly moving and you can't hide someone with stone hands just because they are big like you can with American football. Everyone touches the ball at some point. When I looked into it I found out he wasn't half bad at the game, just outgrew it, literally, and that explains this natural touch we see while getting banged from all sides and my favorite, that bemused look on his face when opposing players lose their cool running into him. I can't wait to see what he develops into with Perk and Collison mentoring him.
    Last edited by Soonerule; 12-18-2013 at 09:59 AM.

He's Back!

vCash
    as a suns fan, I hated they took len with the 5th pick. I listed the players the suns could've taken instead of len and when I mentioned steve adams, the suns fans all laughed. I've seen a few thunder games and adams is a solid tough player.

hope the suns can rebuild that team like the blazers and okc did. not many gm's can build thru the draft like okc did with Durant, westbrook, harden, ibaka, Jackson, adams.

vCash
    as a suns fan, I hated they took len with the 5th pick. I listed the players the suns could've taken instead of len and when I mentioned steve adams, the suns fans all laughed. I've seen a few thunder games and adams is a solid tough player.

hope the suns can rebuild that team like the blazers and okc did. not many gm's can build thru the draft like okc did with Durant, westbrook, harden, ibaka, Jackson, adams.
    Portland? Those guys are scary good. Aldridge was already prime time and now he has help...

I think Phoenix is on the mend, definitely. It will be a process but a 5 game win streak snapped by a team like the Spurs is nothing to sneeze at. You said you mentioned Adams as a possible draft pick and everyone laughed and that is why I rarely play the "how 'bout this trade" or "what about this guy for our first pick" game. The age of free agency has taught me you look at a need and hope your team fills it. Number one on my wish list last spring was rebounding and Presti, IMO, outdid himself. The result? We currently lead the league in rebounding. I would still like to see our offensive rebounds go up some more however, but it's not a horrible number. So rather than ask, "how 'bout this guy?" Define what you think the team needs and throw the onus on your fellow posters to fill the void . That's how I first saw Adams. I said rebounds and a poster we haven't seen in a while, Frenchie, put up Adams, it was love at first sight, lol.

He's Back!

vCash
    Portland? Those guys are scary good. Aldridge was already prime time and now he has help...

I think Phoenix is on the mend, definitely. It will be a process but a 5 game win streak snapped by a team like the Spurs is nothing to sneeze at. You said you mentioned Adams as a possible draft pick and everyone laughed and that is why I rarely play the "how 'bout this trade" or "what about this guy for our first pick" game. The age of free agency has taught me you look at a need and hope your team fills it. Number one on my wish list last spring was rebounding and Presti, IMO, outdid himself. The result? We currently lead the league in rebounding. I would still like to see our offensive rebounds go up some more however, but it's not a horrible number. So rather than ask, "how 'bout this guy?" Define what you think the team needs and throw the onus on your fellow posters to fill the void . That's how I first saw Adams. I said rebounds and a poster we haven't seen in a while, Frenchie, put up Adams, it was love at first sight, lol.
    when I said Portland, if everything went as planned, they would've had oden, la, roy, lillard, they were stock piling drafts to rebuild young.

suns are in the same situation but I don't think they are going to be using all 6 1st over the next 2 yrs. I wish they would unless you got a superstar like love. even tho LeBron will be available 2014, it's ridiculous to think he would even consider playing in phx.

vCash
    when I said Portland, if everything went as planned, they would've had oden, la, roy, lillard, they were stock piling drafts to rebuild young.

suns are in the same situation but I don't think they are going to be using all 6 1st over the next 2 yrs. I wish they would unless you got a superstar like love. even tho LeBron will be available 2014, it's ridiculous to think he would even consider playing in phx.
    I heard a rumor that LeBron wants to go back to Ohio, not sure if it is true or not. I just hope it doesn't turn into the media circus like the move to Miami was.....

He's Back!

vCash
    I heard a rumor that LeBron wants to go back to Ohio, not sure if it is true or not. I just hope it doesn't turn into the media circus like the move to Miami was.....
    that rumor been swirling for over a year now. who does the cavs have other than irving? Thompson and waiters were supposed to be their future along with Bennett but look how that turned out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast