Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raider Defense

vCash

Raider Defense

What up ya'll? This has been bugging me for awhile so I just want to get everyone's opinion. In the last 7 weeks, our 3rd down defense has been outright putrid. Possibly the worst I've ever seen. Overall on the season we're ranked 26th in 3rd down defense. Awful after the start that we had. Here's what I've noticed:

Obviously not yesterday but when we have the lead our corners play way too far off. We've actually had the lead in 10 games this season. That's good, but we've only won 4 games lol. Now when we are not in the lead, our corners play up. They disrupt the route and redirect the receivers. Then we get the lead and we play off and teams dink and dunk us to death.

Now yesterday, we did this on 3rd down as well. We have the Jets on 3rd and 11. We have 3 men about 10 yards deep in a 2 WR Set. The Jets throw a screen to the RB and get a huge gain for a 1st down. Is this the direction we're going? Because if so, we'll never win in this league. With the rules clearly favoring the offenses in this day and age, we absolutely have to take advantage of the 5 yards we're given to disrupt routes.

Now onto the blitzing. Houston has been playing a ton of 3-4 OLB. I get it if he's used as the pass rusher I guess but he's been in coverage a lot. Why? I get every once in a while to mix things up. But he is easily our best pass rusher. Have to get him after the QB. Now on 3rd downs, we only send 3 85% of the time. Why? Get after the QB. Rattle him. Especially with the corners playing 3 countries, 2 states and 4 small towns away from the WR's.

Thanks for letting me vent everybody, but the truth of the matter is that we don't have a lot of talent, but we could still be doing much better with better defensive play calling.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Last two games Houston has been used different and hes had the two worst games of his career. We ARE a losing team. Morale is very low. no pride in being a loser. We need at least two impact players on both sides of the ball.

vCash
    I think it's pretty simple - Tarver was ahead of his opponents for a while there, but the film has caught up to him. He was able to out-scheme opponents for a while this year, but other coaches know what to expect and what his tendencies are.

The Raiders get caught in blitzes far too often on third down lately - it's just that simple. Teams keep extra blockers in, call for a screen or a short cross and then exploit the Raiders lack of coverage.

The defense played well to start the season, but it has been exposed of late. I think DA / JT are good coaches, but they don't have enough to work with.

vCash
    The defense is frustrating...the blitz doesnt get there..the corners never challenge wrs at the los and they give teams first downs with soft zones too often

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo2523 View Post
    The defense is frustrating...the blitz doesnt get there..the corners never challenge wrs at the los and they give teams first downs with soft zones too often
    I saw a lot of that yesterday. Was yesterday's game a microcosm of the entire season? No, but If I can see it on the couch, I'm sure OC in the NFL can see it in the boxes above.

We blitzed a lot yesterday. Sometimes we got to the QB, sometimes we didn't.

What really caught my attention was just how soft our coverage was on plays we blitzed. The Jets WR's were wide open.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoKnowsRaiders View Post
    I saw a lot of that yesterday. Was yesterday's game a microcosm of the entire season? No, but If I can see it on the couch, I'm sure OC in the NFL can see it in the boxes above.

What really caught my attention was just how soft our coverage was on plays we blitzed. The Jets WR's were wide open.
    If you dont challenge wrs you dont have a chance...im not sure whether this is the defense they want or they just dont have the players...the defense will never be successful playing the scheme it plays now...it never challenges qbs to make difficult throws...your right wrs are always open...and then the tackling...ugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo2523 View Post
    If you dont challenge wrs you dont have a chance...im not sure whether this is the defense they want or they just dont have the players...the defense will never be successful playing the scheme it plays now...it never challenges qbs to make difficult throws...your right wrs are always open...and then the tackling...ugh
    I agree. I don't know if it's scheme or personnel. I hedge towards scheme. It resembled a vanilla, prevent D late in the game to me. I don't like seeing our CB's playing off the other teams WR's on plays we blitz and the QB is looking to get rid of the ball quick.

vCash
    It amazes me how many 3rd down and shorts we play a soft zone defense and get burnt over the middle for 5-8 yards. How has Tarver not fixed this yet, or atleast tried something new

vCash
    I agree. I don't know if it's scheme or personnel. I hedge towards scheme. It resembled a vanilla, prevent D late in the game to me. I don't like seeing our CB's playing off the other teams WR's on plays we blitz and the QB is looking to get rid of the ball quick.
    Yea..i mean we definitely need upgrades everywhere on d though...not one player on this d would start on rhe better defenses in this league

vCash
    ^ definitely agree. We need to upgrade everywhere.

vCash
    Say what you want about this defense. Its still not near as bad as the leaky sieve 2011 defense. For the most part it isn't getting gashed for big plays, can tackle, and makes stops. That defense was laden with 1st round draft picks and prized free agent acquisitions.

This unit has far out played that, with a faction of the payroll, built by subtraction rather than addition. Thats were the progress should be measured.

Not getting off there field on 3rd down has been a killer, but I believe there is a simple explanation for that.

vCash

What caught my attention was the number of times players went for the ball and not the tackle , that 15yd TD run was a prime example....tackle first....strip second.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
    What caught my attention was the number of times players went for the ball and not the tackle , that 15yd TD run was a prime example....tackle first....strip second.
    Yeah that was frustrating to watch. It seemed like the Jets would gain an extra 5,6,7 yards etc. because we were looking to strip instead of taking their feet out from underneath them.

We only have a couple games left. These next couple of games might show a lot on who we will offer a contract to next season. Need not to lay down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
    Yup. In fairness, the Raiders nearly had a fumble-recovery... but they need to focus on tackling.

vCash
    I have noticed our tackling has broken down a lot. To many strip attempts like you guys mentioned - as well as guys (the one who stands out to me is Porter) tackling with just their shoulder pads, or trying to - instead of wrapping the guy up

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast