Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013 Winter Meetings

To kick things off, a few ideas from Peter Abraham.
    “I do think we go into the Winter Meetings in a position of strength, with a very strong roster and one that we feel good about going into the season if not much changes,” Cherington said.

In a way, having a largely settled roster could create more work for Cherington and the baseball operations staff. Not having many specific needs will allow the Sox the freedom to be creative in the trade market and seek ways to improve a team they already feel is strong.

“I have a feeling it will be just as busy. The pace won’t be any different. We’ll just be talking about different kind of things,” Cherington said. “When there’s a clear need to fill, there’s more of a linear process and we’re focusing on certain things and trying to march down the field on certain things, a certain player or trade that fills that need.

“When you’re not doing that kind of thing as much, it’s a bigger universe so there’s a lot of ideas floating around the room and a lot of conversation.”

A few thoughts on where those conversations could go:

• Making a big trade: The Sox have an extra starter, an extra catcher in Ryan Lavarnway and some solid prospects. It's enough to cobble together a deal.

The Dodgers have spoken to the Sox to gauge interest in outfielder Matt Kemp, a two-time All-Star. But there is ample reason for caution.

In the last 14 months, Kemp has twice had surgery on his left shoulder and once on his left ankle. He had a torn labrum repaired in Oct. of 2013 then a procedure on the AC joint a year later.

Kemp hit only six home runs in 263 at-bats last season and there is concern that the shoulder injury affected his mechanics and power, much in the same way it did Adrian Gonzalez.

Gonzalez has averaged 22 home runs in the three seasons since his shoulder surgery. He averaged 32 in the five years prior.

Kemp also has six years and $128 million remaining on his contract. The Dodgers would presumably pick up part of that in a trade, but the Red Sox have avoided long-term deals for two years now outside of Dustin Pedroia.

• Making a medium-sized trade: The Sox could deal from their depth and pick up a solid first base or outfield prospect, two areas where the farm system is a little deficient.

• Pick up an infielder: The Red Sox need a utility infielder, somebody who could back up at second, third and shortstop. Free agent Justin Turner would work. Maybe they will bring John McDonald back.

• Retaining Stephen Drew: In what has been a frenzied market for free agents, Drew's name has not come up much because of the draft-pick compensation attached to his price. If he is still searching for a team on Jan. 20, the Red Sox could be waiting. They would take him back on their terms and play Bogaerts at third base.

It's important to note that the Sox are close to their payroll number of last season. Contracted raises, arbitration and a full year of Jake Peavy added to the payroll along with the free agents. Cherington also values having some money to be flexible for in-season additions.

So don't expect the Red Sox to be in play for a prominent free agent like Shin-Soo Choo. Such a move would require some roster manipulation.

vCash
    Anyone expecting a trade? They have prospects. But it seems they coveted them very much these days, not dealings with FA who wants beyond 2+ years.

vCash
    Yes, I expect trades but going the opposite way. They'll be courted quite a bit to deal from their SP strength.

vCash
    I expect a trade due to some redundancy. We have 6 SP for 5 spots, not counting Workman or the 4 prospects in triple A. Not sure it will be a big trade that would take 4 or 5 prospects, but maybe a midlevel trade for an OFer able to backup all 3 positions

vCash
    Peter Abraham is garbage, he's more of a game thread blogger than someone with inside information.

vCash
    I think we make a trade sometime during the winter meetings. Probably one of our starters for another bat.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 63-80, games this week vs. Orioles (3), Royals (4)
    Indianapolis Colts: 0-1, Week 2 vs. Eagles
    Minnesota Timberwolves: New team, hoping for good things this season.
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    I can see us moving surplus. I don't know. I don't think BC is willing to give the Gomes/ Nava pairing another full year. With Ellsbury gone and Victorino having injury troubles I can see us adding a big bat to LF. I think we add a LF and keep Nava. I fear Gomes could be the guy that gets traded. He could net us a decent infielder through trade, someone to pair with Will at third.

While I'd love Stanton, I think Kemp is a real option for us. If the Dodgers eat salary, the deal still wouldn't cost us that much in specs. We could then sign a RHH CF to pair with Jackie and get games in RF. This of course, would mean the end of Gomes

Names I wouldn't be surprised to see heading out: Peavy, Dempster, Lackey, Duobront, Gomes, Carp, Webster, Ranaudo, Lavarnway.

I'm not saying all of these obviously, but we just have too many specs and SP's not to make a move and significantly improve our line-up.

vCash
    @bradfo 1h
    Seems to be a lot of interest in Mike Carp. Considering what's left in first base maker, makes sense

vCash
    What do you think about a trade with the White Sox, we get Alexie Ramirez and Chris Sale, the White Sox get WMB, Doubront, Carp or Nava, Lavarnway, Brentz, Webster and mabe Betts. Xander moves over to 3rd and Ramirez plays SS

vCash
    I think you listed maybe 10% of the value you would need to get Chris Sale, and that's being generous.

vCash
    ‏@JeffPassan 6m
    Sources: Phillies actively shopping OF Domonic Brown. Looking for controllable starting pitching in return. Idea is to sell high on him.

Buchholz? Doubront? Just throwing it out there, have not really looked at what he did last year

vCash
    Looking quickly at his season I see no reason for a quick decline in offense. K rate wasn't crazy, babip wasn't abnormal, possibly low given his LD rate. Ben should look into this. Would you trade WMB (not sure what they have at 3b) and maybe one of the minor league SP's? Then we can sign Drew, move X to 3b.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walligans View Post
    Peter Abraham is garbage, he's more of a game thread blogger than someone with inside information.
    i thought everything he said seemed kind of reasonable...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Looking quickly at his season I see no reason for a quick decline in offense. K rate wasn't crazy, babip wasn't abnormal, possibly low given his LD rate. Ben should look into this. Would you trade WMB (not sure what they have at 3b) and maybe one of the minor league SP's? Then we can sign Drew, move X to 3b.
    WMB and Doubront for Brown and a good Spec??

or even Webster and a mid level spec for Brown

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBoy77 View Post
    WMB and Doubront for Brown and a good Spec??

or even Webster and a mid level spec for Brown
    Well, considering that we arguabbly have a better LHH OF bat in Nava (pretty evenly matched in terms of offensive and defensive value), I don't see the upside in trading for Brown. You might say that Nava is unlikely to repeat his 2013 campaign, but Brown is no lock either. His 2012 season was horrible and besides his hot start in 2013, he was nothing special the rest of the way.

If you ask me, he's not that much better than Middlebrooks.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast