Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Pirates Offseason Discussion Part II

Winter Meetings start today so I figured it was time for a new discussion thread. This is the week that activity in the offseason usually picks up but this year has been different featuring quite a flurry of events already.

At this point it doesn't feel like the Pirates have done a whole lot but they have technically turned over one quarter of their 40 man roster so they haven't been just sitting around even if it does kind of feel that way.

Off the Roster: A.J. Burnett, Marlon Byrd, John Buck, Justin Morneau, Clint Barmes, Kyle Farnsworth, Garrett Jones, Felix Pie, Kris Johnson, OPEN

Added to Roster: Wandy Rodriguez, Phil Irwin, Gregory Polanco, Alen Hanson, Joely Rodriguez, Casey Sadler, Chris Stewart, Jaff Decker, Miles Mikolas, Duke Welker

They have also added Kyle McPherson and Michael McKenry only to remove them again. A lot of the above is really just minor roster shuffling but it still represents a 25% turnover from what the 40 man roster looked like at the end of last season and that is quite significant. I'm guessing we will see at least a move or two this week to add to the list so let's see what they end up doing.

Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

It's Back!: Battling Bucs

vCash
    The Pirates are reportedly going to meet with Bronson Arroyo's agent during the winter meetings. So it would appear they have some interest in bringing the right hander back to where he got his start. Arroyo doesn't come with a lot of upside but he is a very solid and dependable middle of the rotation work horse. If Burnett retires Arroyo would be a non-exciting but non-awful replacement.

I don't recall much about his Pirates pitching career (it was only 187 IP) but I do recall that his major league debut came under an odd set of circumstances as it wasn't as a pitcher he debuted but as a pinch hitter.

vCash
    Chris Sale is reportedly available albeit for and unfathomable return, im not saying I am a fan of doing so but id much rather trade the farm for him than Price.

vCash
    I was thinking what about possibly getting Ichiro as a fill in until Polanco is ready? We could bat him leadoff and let Marte hit in the 5 hole

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcclutch View Post
    Chris Sale is reportedly available albeit for and unfathomable return, im not saying I am a fan of doing so but id much rather trade the farm for him than Price.
    That echos my thoughts pretty well. If they are going to sell the farm for someone Sale is a better choice than Price. I wouldn't do it because I believe the Pirates only real shot at contending for more than one or two years is to try and squeeze out as many prospects as possible but hey something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster16301 View Post
    I was thinking what about possibly getting Ichiro as a fill in until Polanco is ready? We could bat him leadoff and let Marte hit in the 5 hole
    I like the idea of Marte hitting 5 but the current day Ichiro doesn't excite me. I would just rather have Tabata assume the leadoff spot and RF job. Tabata, Walker, McCutchen, Alvarez, Marte, LH 1B, Martin, Mercer

vCash
    Pirates have kept contact with Barmes which considering the current market for backup shortstops was a no brainer. Also Burnett remains undecided on whether he wants to return or retire, another no brainer. Finally the Pirates are interested in Lind and Morrison in possible trades.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    The Pirates are reportedly going to meet with Bronson Arroyo's agent during the winter meetings. So it would appear they have some interest in bringing the right hander back to where he got his start. Arroyo doesn't come with a lot of upside but he is a very solid and dependable middle of the rotation work horse. If Burnett retires Arroyo would be a non-exciting but non-awful replacement.

I don't recall much about his Pirates pitching career (it was only 187 IP) but I do recall that his major league debut came under an odd set of circumstances as it wasn't as a pitcher he debuted but as a pinch hitter.
    Im not sure if Arroyo wouldnt hurt us more then help us. I cant get the image out of my mind of him tossing our hitters slow pitch softballs to us the last time we faced him. I would rather use that money on someone else even if you have to spend a little more.

vCash
    Im not sure if Arroyo wouldnt hurt us more then help us. I cant get the image out of my mind of him tossing our hitters slow pitch softballs to us the last time we faced him. I would rather use that money on someone else even if you have to spend a little more.
    Arroyo is a league average starter. Adding a league average starter certainly can't hurt the Pirates. It might not be the best use of resources but his addition won't hurt the team. Think of this way which current starter are you confident will perform better than him in 2014? Really the only ones worth discussing are Cole, Liriano and Morton. Cole is probably the safest of the group, Liriano we would all like to think he will but considering his roller coaster career it is far from certain and Morton is probably just a notch above Arroyo so random variation could have those two go either way.

vCash
    http://seattletimes.com/html/mariner...ners08xml.html

Just spitballing here but if this is true I wonder if we could get something like Kyle Seager and Taijuan Walker for Pedro. That would be awesome!

I was thinking about Matt Garza since its looking like AJ wont be back and he would not cost a draft pick, but with the way the market is now he'll probably want at least 15mil a year.
    Last edited by Mcclutch; 12-09-2013 at 02:56 PM.

vCash
    Looks like Arroyo's talks with the Twins are becoming serious, per MLBTR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    Arroyo is a league average starter. Adding a league average starter certainly can't hurt the Pirates. It might not be the best use of resources but his addition won't hurt the team. Think of this way which current starter are you confident will perform better than him in 2014? Really the only ones worth discussing are Cole, Liriano and Morton. Cole is probably the safest of the group, Liriano we would all like to think he will but considering his roller coaster career it is far from certain and Morton is probably just a notch above Arroyo so random variation could have those two go either way.
    Assuming Wandy is healthy I would take him over Arroyo and if Locke were to even out his first and second half I would take him over Arroyo as well. Now mix in Taillon for the second half and I would say that is a serviceable rotation.

I guess its just how much he wants and if he would accept possibly being a mop up reliever if a guy like Taillon can play like Cole. I dont want him being the answer for Burnett retiring or playing elsewhere.

vCash
    I seen it reported the parameters of a Morrison deal have been discussed and it would be Harrison + another player.

vCash
    Marlins telling teams Morrison will be traded shortly.

vCash
    Assuming Wandy is healthy I would take him over Arroyo and if Locke were to even out his first and second half I would take him over Arroyo as well. Now mix in Taillon for the second half and I would say that is a serviceable rotation.

I guess its just how much he wants and if he would accept possibly being a mop up reliever if a guy like Taillon can play like Cole. I dont want him being the answer for Burnett retiring or playing elsewhere.
    Ideally we wouldn't need him but baseball isn't an ideal world. I mean if Cole builds off of 2013, if Liriano can put together consecutive great years, if Morton can show he is fully recovered from TJ surgery, if Locke can even out and if Rodriguez can get and stay healthy then no Arroyo would have no place. However the chances of all of that happening is about zero. Each individual item may not face long odds but collectively they do.

vCash
    JHay + MiL pitcher (Cumpton, Pimental, Irwin?) for LoMo?

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast