Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Samuel L Jackson & The Pussification of America

Banks have laid off thousands of people since the financial crisis, foreclosed upon millions of struggling homeowners and helped to upend the world's economy but what really riles some customers is one bank's endorsement of mild profanity.

Capital One (COF) last week unveiled a commercial featuring the actor Samuel L. Jackson and his celebrated forthright delivery, including of a promise to offer credit card rewards "every damn day." The profanity is tame by most standards, especially from someone known for using much saltier language in films like "Snakes on a Plane."

But the commercial sparked an outsized reaction from angry commenters at various websites, including AmericanBanker.com, BankInnovation.net, and credit card discussion forums. Some of those people threatened to close their accounts or stop using their cards. Now Capital One is replacing at least some airings of the profanity-laced ad with a more G-rated version, in which Jackson promises rewards "every single day."

Bank spokeswoman Pam Girardo said the second version of the commercial was part of a planned series featuring Jackson and Capital One's new Quicksilver credit card.

"The first ad was designed to draw attention to the new campaign," Girardo said in an email. "Our next ads that began airing this week continue to showcase Jackson in a direct and humorous way by dramatizing the ease and superiority of Quicksilver."

She did not respond to questions about the backlash or whether the McLean, Va., bank would continue airing the more "attention-drawing" first commercials.

At least some of the online anger over Jackson's commercial appears to have been marshaled by One Million Moms, a branch of the conservative media watchdog group American Family Association. Its website urges supporters to email Capital One with protests over "the d-word" and requests to pull the "irresponsible and offensive" commercial. (One Million Moms' other current targets include the new NBC series "Dracula," which will "warp the minds of our youth," and Slim Fast, which is airing "inappropriate and tacky" commercials.)

Monica Cole, executive director of One Million Moms, said the organization did not encourage its members to leave angry comments on other websites, "but we do encourage anyone to speak out and let their voice be heard. Profanity has no place anywhere, really."

Cole says her group has not yet asked its members to stop using their Capital One cards or switch their bank accounts. But bank industry members say Capital One might even be pleased by others' threats to do so.

"I think the people who will close their accounts for a single word aren't necessarily the people Capital One wants to appeal to," says Jim Marous, a senior vice president of corporate development at digital marketing agency New Control.

Jackson, like fellow Capital One celebrity endorsers Alec Baldwin and Jimmy Fallon, is "highly recognizable" to younger people, who are more likely to be amused than upset by the commercial's language, Marous says.

Writing a "damn" into Jackson's script was likely "a conscious decision," he adds. "It's making a point that certainly Chase and Bank of America and Wells can't make, that we're going to look at banking a little differently. It probably reinforces a brand more than takes away from it."

vCash
    Christian Mothers, FTL
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    A conservative group was outraged?
    Last edited by dbroncos78087; 12-08-2013 at 12:38 PM.

vCash
    Oh for God's sake.

This doesn't have to turn into a political commentary. I don't think there's any particular party spearheading the gradual softening of America. It's just a thing that's happening. And it sucks.

vCash
    females...
    King Remembered In Time
    New Jersey Devils/Brooklyn Nets/New York Yankees/New York Jets

12/7/12 R.I.P Off-topic-forum amigo.

Want to be President of PSD? Post here to enroll. No skills needed!
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...ction-Nominees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Oh for God's sake.

This doesn't have to turn into a political commentary. I don't think there's any particular party spearheading the gradual softening of America. It's just a thing that's happening. And it sucks.
    What are the tangible cons of establishing a culture where brash profanity isn't acceptable?

How does cleaning up a commercial of foul language doom this country? How is his proof that the country is becoming "soft", and even so, what are the repercussions of being "soft" in this regard?

I've just never gotten a great explanation on how this drastic "pussification of America" is so detrimental to this country's well-being. I'm not really "for it" or whatever, I just genuinely don't get why people freak out about it so much. But then again, I've never asked or read up on it.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    What are the tangible cons of establishing a culture where brash profanity isn't acceptable?

How does cleaning up a commercial of foul language doom this country? How is his proof that the country is becoming "soft", and even so, what are the repercussions of being "soft" in this regard?

I've just never gotten a great explanation on how this drastic "pussification of America" is so detrimental to this country's well-being. I'm not really "for it" or whatever, I just genuinely don't get why people freak out about it so much. But then again, I've never asked or read up on it.
    Well speaking to this example specifically, at it's core, it's basically a withdrawal of First Amendment rights. It sounds dumb, but Sam Jackson shouldn't have to be censored from saying the word "damn" in a national commercial. The idea that anyone can't publicly speak their mind, in their own manner (in this instance, using an extremely common word considered by many to not even border on profanity) is absurd. In the ad, he's speaking for Capital One, who even as an enterprise has rights to expression as well.

It's a little thing. But it's one of a million little things that collectively add up to a pretty big thing. And it's frustrating to watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post

Go check the days where women were stuck in the kitchen, or when this country was hardcore religious. Can't go back to that now.

vCash
    the liberal media at it again...

vCash
    I believe the AFA is the same organization that nutcase Brian Fisher is with. He believes Christmas is, literally, in the constitution. These are not people with a solid grip on reality.

vCash

Samuel L Jackson & The Pussification of America

I'm glad they changed it, I found it extremely offensive. What were we talking about again?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by turnaround3 View Post
    Oh for God's sake.

I have relatives who think India is becoming pussified because everyone is becoming more and more "American" and "Western" and that Hollywood and corrupt Indian government is to blame.

I bet similar **** is said in other countries and I think all this is that people don't know how to deal with changing times and need a scapegoat.

vCash
    Damn liberals and their pussification of America

Rochester Jeffersons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    I believe the AFA is the same organization that nutcase Brian Fisher is with. He believes Christmas is, literally, in the constitution. These are not people with a solid grip on reality.
    Since they don't have the same opinion as you they do not have a "solid grip on reality"

got it. I guess natepro runs the country and if you don't agree with him they don't have a solid grip on reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asandhu23 View Post
    I think all this is that people don't know how to deal with changing times and need a scapegoat.
    These aren't changing times. This is the opposite of change. It's a reversion to a close-minded, simple-minded state of affairs. In a sense, it's devolution.

And I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill here. I understand that the Sam Jackson thing is one tiny incident. But it's not isolated. It's one of a million tiny incidents.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast