Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Dallas 12-8 @ Portland 17-3

at

TV: NBATV, KGW, FSSW

Sat, Dec 7 10:00 PM EST

vCash
    dang didn't know Aldridge could dunk like that.

vCash
    LMA started off sluggish and confused on offense. Finished the first quarter with 6 points on 3/6 shooting with 6 rebounds and 1 steal.

For all those talking "when they cool off" bull **** would like to point out Mavs shooting 60% we are 1/7 from 3 and we are winning.

vCash
    Freeland truly terrible so far tonight. Just gift wrapping points for the Mavs. Several turn overs and just not even attempting defense.

vCash
    If Freeland were a little more solid, it would really help a lot. So far he tends to need a lot of help to finish on offense, and can fumble passes and things. It takes a lot away from the bench flow.

Or if we got an explosive SG we could have a very aggressive bench lineup and score that way. So far it seems like we go through the bigs like we would with Aldridge except Freeland and Robinson are a little shaky still. Robinson can clean up well though so if Freeland were more solid Robinson would have an easier time. Maybe CJ can be the answer.

vCash
    Lillard 19 points 3 assists

Lopez 10 points 10 rebounds

We just cut down on turn overs and keep little better track of Mav g's and we got this.

vCash
    it is impressive that we are in this game at half with such garbage play comparative to usual. Wouldn't be surprised to see Blazers come out strong for the second half.

I'm really liking Robinson as a player for now and the future. He could be really special. It looks like he is learning from LA and getting some of those far out post and jump shot moves. Also had some impressive defense on Dirk. I hope he works hard this summer because he could be like a bench version of Lebron.

Would be great to see CJ come back and be an explosive and smart player. He has the talent to be a starter, and plays with intelligence, which should be lethal off the bench.

vCash
    Holy smokes still have a chance come on Blazers

vCash
    Lillard!!!!!!

vCash
    Blazers dropped this one. They would have benefitted from taking it in more. Lillard had that right idea and did that several times, but not really anyone else did. With Dallas basically being an older version of the Blazers, pushing the ball more and drawing fouls would have really helped.

I think we will beat Dallas next time. Dallas really milked their knowledge of how Portland plays, and I think we will have more plans ready by next time. This was a good example of playoff style basketball though, so we need to learn how to win that type of game.

Hopefully they come back strong next game.

vCash
    Wish I could have watched that last second shot I'll catch it on sportscenter. Curious who was guarding Ellis on that last second shot. Too many missed opportunities tonight one hell of an effort by Lillard tonight. Mathews was very disappointing tonight not a good effort offensively and curious how he played defensively. Tough loss but sounded like we were lucky to even be in this game late.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matt800 View Post
    Blazers dropped this one. They would have benefitted from taking it in more. Lillard had that right idea and did that several times, but not really anyone else did. With Dallas basically being an older version of the Blazers, pushing the ball more and drawing fouls would have really helped.

I think we will beat Dallas next time. Dallas really milked their knowledge of how Portland plays, and I think we will have more plans ready by next time. This was a good example of playoff style basketball though, so we need to learn how to win that type of game.

Hopefully they come back strong next game.
    Another learning experience for this young team but one they better learn from. I don't think it helped that it was another btb for us and Dallas basically watched us play Utah last night, but no excuses we had plenty of opportunities tonight. Your right Matt seems like this team takes its time figuring things out during the game. Lillard had the hot hand but he didn't even try to score during the 3rd qrt. It seemed like at times we were way to happy just dumping it off to LA, and not even trying to drive to the hole after the double team on LA
    Last edited by Rhino; 12-08-2013 at 12:50 AM.

vCash
    We need Batum to take advantage of his offensive game more often when LA is being doubled. Drive to the hoop and hopefully get the call or make the shot or dish it off for a better high percentage shot. It's just an adjustment and like a said a learning experience. Dallas was very efficient most of the night, and you could tell they really wanted this one. Hell of a game from Dirk and Ellis is a very good compliment to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Another learning experience for this young team but one they better learn from. I don't think it helped that it was another btb for us and Dallas basically watched us play Utah last night, but no excuses we had plenty of opportunities tonight. Your right Matt seems like this team takes its time figuring things out during the game. Lillard had the hot hand but he didn't even try to score during the 3rd qrt. It seemed like at times we were way to happy just dumping it off to LA, and not even trying to drive to the hole after the double team on LA
    It was a logical idea from them but like you said, the Mavs wanted it and came prepared to destroy the foundations of our offense. We tried to out Mavs the Mavs which could work, (I think we are better at it actually) but they came with a specialized and motivated defense against us. Portland had the opportunity to come better prepared and use a better approach, but with the back to back and all, we came up underprepared.

I think Lillard is primarily a passing post and 3 point option when he is in with the bench. It is like semi-resting for him. But it would be better if we had our guards attacking more consistently. I think CJ might help with that in the long run if he can sub in and take some minutes from Lillard and Mo so all 3 can play harder while in.

With more guys learning how to post and create, we need to start using that and really attacking the basket in ways with high likelihood of drawing fouls. If we can switch between that and the 3 and aldridge type offense, then we will be really hard for other teams to deal with.

Or another option would just be to have some bench guys who are more aggressive so the other team can't rest. Again that could be CJ or maybe T Rob. Mo can do it, but gotta have more than one option.

A lot of this came down to the players just not getting it done, but it would have been a lot easier with a stronger game plan as well.

As a good sign, Lopez really showed up and helped out.
    Last edited by matt800; 12-08-2013 at 01:22 AM.

vCash
    It's like you said a better coaching gameplan or better adjustments in game by the coaching staff and this game was ours. We had them in foul trouble and I know Ellis and Dirk both had 3 or 4 fouls in the 3rd qrt. That would have sealed the Mav's fate as far as forcing Ellis or Dirk out due to foul trouble. Don't get me wrong I love this coaching staff and I'm not saying that we didn't have very clear opportunities to take the game back with the game plan that the coaching staff came up. In general I guess when I say learning experience for this young team I most definitely include the coaching staff. I kept repeating to myself that we need to be more aggressive since Dallas seemed to have a good D established against LA. That's where I believe Wes/Mo/Wright need and have to step up their play. In order to take that next giant step in the development of this team this has to happen. I completely agree with you and I believe when CJ is healthy and inserted into the lineup he will take some of the pressure off of the rest of the bench players and give them that added deminsion that we are looking for. I'm sure it will take time for him to develope his game but the cool thing is we don't have to press him. Not sure how Stott's will impliment him into the lineup but I can't wait to see what this young man can add. Taking nothing away from the Mavs they did deserve and earn this one its just tough to see how close we came to pulling this one out. Can't win em all and I believe this coaching staff and team know exactly what they need to do and will continue to work hard to get there. Lopez has impressed me to no end he just compliments this offense so well gotta love the way this team all fits together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast