Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

NEXT on the AGENDA

What do you think should be the next on the agenda?

Exclude rule 5 draft.

next issue should be pitching, and I think similar transactions as we did last year will fit for SP, but for the BP, Axford and 2 others would be nice, there are some decent names out there and it shouldn't be hard.

At the same time I think it would probably behoove us to work the prospect side first and winter meetings is a perfect time for this. With OF virtually locked unless Choo still in the cards for RF, Young in CF and Granderson in LF, but we will say we are done in the OF. We need to off load some IF players starting with DUDa and Davis (still on the fence, but if we get burnt by a resurgent we can't say anything, maybe best for both).

EYJR and Brown can be our bench OF, with coverage on 2B. Flores and Satin can share 1B, and if we can get wowed then EYJR becomes 2B, but with Seattle we might be able to get some solid prospects for Davis, Duda I would take whatever we could get (training equipment, early level prospect, whatever), and Murphy we should be able to get something good. Flores or Satin could net us some prospect help if we wanted to go that way, but this may help us work a trade a midseason or next year to get us even closer.

So maybe dump first and then pitching, still trying to decide myself, but if we can get some decent prospects may allow us to get with Toronto and deal for Jose (unless he dated Alderson's daughter and broke her heart or something like that). Just not sure why he wasn't a keystone like Wright, still don't have that figured yet. But before we look at a leadoff hitter or SS unless the SS comes from dumping DUDa and Davis??? Even if it is a prospect who starts platooning with Tejada and can win the job...

I do think the BP will be the easiest to fix, so yes time to clear roster and again timing is impeccable. Thanks for working this out with me... Seriously, these are my thought processes and I am always willing to hear others POV and I can be swayed, by intelligence not empty disagreeances.

vCash
    I think Sandy leaves the winter meetings with a SS and a SP.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Both a SS and SP, do you have any speculations and will this be via trade or FA.

I do agree we will have a pitcher or two by the end, but what aspect I don't know, whether RP or SP it wont matter or even prospects.

SS seems much harder to predict, as Stephen Drew doesn't wow me or really intrigue me for the bucks. But via a trade there may be a target or two even on the prospect side, but at what level??

vCash
    I think the Met's are probably going to move to trade Murphy, With EYJ and Flores, on the roster I can see them trying to move him for a SS or maybe even a pitcher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFlunky View Post
    Both a SS and SP, do you have any speculations and will this be via trade or FA.

I do agree we will have a pitcher or two by the end, but what aspect I don't know, whether RP or SP it wont matter or even prospects.

SS seems much harder to predict, as Stephen Drew doesn't wow me or really intrigue me for the bucks. But via a trade there may be a target or two even on the prospect side, but at what level??
    I want Reyes, but I just don't think it's possible. I've been advocating this for months now. I think he's allowed to demand a trade since he was a veteran traded in the middle of a long-term deal. That used to be the rule, but I'm not sure if it was changed in the latest CBA.

So as far as what else might be available:
    Drew - I say even money on this
    Aybar - I hope not
    Escobar - Upgrade over what we have, but not hit much in the last 2 years
    Castro - Not worth the asking price
    Cabrera - Same as Castro
    Infante - Sleeper - he's a FA, and not high priced but difficult to know if he's able to handle SS since he hasn't played there in years
    Furcal - The Mets were looking at him, but moved on

SP's - Not sure right now, but Murphy and Ike could be traded for the right one.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Sandy just wanted to make sure he had 2 OF before the Winter Meetings. Now teams can't pressure him and offer crap claiming he has a bunch of holes. At the end of the day he can say he has a roster filled, albeit not one that's most desirable.

Technically, he has 3 first-baseman on his roster (Davis, Duda, Satin), 2 shortstops (Tejada, Tovar), and he has pitching (Niese, Wheeler, Gee, Mejia, Montero, Syndergaard).

Now he can go into the Winter Meetings saying he would just like to improve the roster. He has options now, and people can't pressure him like they might have been able to do so when he had no OF and so many holes.

But the agenda is clearly a SS/SP and if the opportunity presents itself a reliable RP.

vCash
    Once they decide on SS (they may already have) I think they'll spend the rest of the money on pitching.
    "If we could talk about it and get (to the playoffs), it would've already been done. We know that talking won't get it done. We have to earn it." - Jets Coach Rex Ryan
    #hatersgonnahate

vCash

best result lowest cost

sign infante for ss choo for outfield and last Napoli for 1b and catch at times answers all our needs for field let the minors supply our pitching needs lowest cost effective and lets the minors stay intact. trade off duda and tejada and davis for more minor league or bench players with potential hopefully one a shortstop or utility
    Last edited by maskedmetfan; 12-06-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: another thought added

vCash
    If you never see a minor leaguer play in the majors then why have a farm let the kids play. This line if from the Bad News Bears.

vCash
    SS is the next biggest need. I agree with Magoo, I really want Reyes. But I don't think that he would be that tough to get. I really think he could be had without giving away too much because of his backloaded salary.

My next priority would be Corey Hart. He could give us an awesome outfield (I'm not sold on Lagares), or be insurance if none of our 1B experiments work out. I have no idea what the market is on him. haven't been hearing too much interest, or too many numbers thrown around.

Then, get an innings eater and go to war. Obviously, Arroyo would be great, but I'd be shocked, and I would rather see my first two agenda items met before investing a lot on pitching, because I really believe in our young talent.

Would LOVE to add Roy Halladay to the mix. If he did rebound, in a bigger park, he could be special.

vCash
    If Murphy was involved in a trade for Reyes, Murph's projected 5-6 million would only make Reyes' addition be 10 million for the 2014 season. If Hart took 10 Million, and an innings eater for 5-6 million, all of that could be had for 26 million. Added to what we have spent, that would be 48 million in this offseason, and would change the whole face of our team, also keeping the farm intact.

SS- Reyes
    2B- Flores
    3B- Wright
    RF- Granderson
    LF- Hart
    1B- Ike
    C- TDA
    CF- Young

That's a nasty lineup, a really balanced team and gives you Lagares, EY Jr, Duda as solid backup options if anything didn't work out
    Last edited by DirtyJerZ; 12-06-2013 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    Reyes is not coming back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maskedmetfan View Post
    sign infante for ss choo for outfield and last Napoli for 1b and catch at times answers all our needs for field let the minors supply our pitching needs lowest cost effective and lets the minors stay intact. trade off duda and tejada and davis for more minor league or bench players with potential hopefully one a shortstop or utility
    I rewrote my response several times, and realized that it's impossible for me to respond to this post without being a total dick. So I'm just going to respond with two words.

Please stop.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    If Murphy was involved in a trade for Reyes, Murph's projected 5-6 million would only make Reyes' addition be 10 million for the 2014 season. If Hart took 10 Million, and an innings eater for 5-6 million, all of that could be had for 26 million. Added to what we have spent, that would be 48 million in this offseason, and would change the whole face of our team, also keeping the farm intact.

SS- Reyes
    2B- Flores
    3B- Wright
    RF- Granderson
    LF- Hart
    1B- Ike
    C- TDA
    CF- Young

That's a nasty lineup, a really balanced team and gives you Lagares, EY Jr, Duda as solid backup options if anything didn't work out
    Your plan ignores the fact that the Mets had $25MM to spend before Granderson. Hart is NOT happening at this point, nor should he. The Mets are done shopping for OF's and now have approximately $10-$15MM left to spend on SS and pitching.

As for the rest, I agree. I think Murphy, Duda, and a pitcher Montero or deGrom could get this done if the Jays want to move Reyes. Moving Duda and Murphy would put the team's increased cost at $8MM in 2014, leaving $3-$8MM left for pitching. In a case like that, I could see the team upping the payroll by another $5-$10MM to make sure the pitching is covered.

-Sun Tzu

vCash
    Infante could possibly play SS for one season. He could shift to 2B in 2015 and we could sign another SS like Lowrie, Hardy, or Asdrubal Cabrera.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast